Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Minimizing chain corrosion in winter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Minimizing chain corrosion in winter

Old 08-20-20, 01:35 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Fenders help in keeping the sand, salt, and grit from getting kicked up onto the chain.

But honestly short of replacing the whole bike the best solution is usually to go with a reliable cheaper chain then replace it every year.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 08-20-20, 02:23 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Fenders help in keeping the sand, salt, and grit from getting kicked up onto the chain.

But honestly short of replacing the whole bike the best solution is usually to go with a reliable cheaper chain then replace it every year.
I've experienced the exact opposite. The rear fender keeps the frame and your back clean but drop everything that would go elsewhere now drops to the drive train and everything below.
Old 08-21-20, 07:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I've experienced the exact opposite. The rear fender keeps the frame and your back clean but drop everything that would go elsewhere now drops to the drive train and everything below.
I thought that for a while, until I got caught in the rain on my "dry bike." Short shower and perhaps 5-10 miles on wet roads, and the chain looked worse than the rain bike's chain after a solid week of commuting (80-100 miles). I was convinced after that: fenders are the way to go.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-21-20, 08:19 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I thought that for a while, until I got caught in the rain on my "dry bike." Short shower and perhaps 5-10 miles on wet roads, and the chain looked worse than the rain bike's chain after a solid week of commuting (80-100 miles). I was convinced after that: fenders are the way to go.
It may all be relative, my bike usually comes home cleaner if it is actively raining. I sometimes use a mud guard on the lower frame tube and an "ass saver" shoved in the seat back but not all the time.

Last edited by u235; 08-21-20 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 11:15 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
WRT chain, a good front fender - and a good mud flap - is more important than a rear. It should come down close to the ground. That keeps the rooster tail of road grime drawn up from the front wheel from hitting your chain and chainring. This is the one on my winter bike:

(Yes, it is a piece of an old boot. Good rubber, long lasting)
I use hot wax as a lube on this one, get about 500 km between applications. I’m alternating between two chains and will hit 5000 km at the next change. No obvious drivetrain performance yet. This is in Sweden, so there’s plenty of sanded/salted winter riding.
For various reasons, it’s the only fender-equipped bike I have that’s in order at the moment, so it has the summer wheels on in the pic.
Likes For dabac: