Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Two out, a real beauty in. Kirk Terraplane content and pics

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-30-22, 05:42 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts

I'm slowly making progress to drawing down the collection/stable of bikes. Two of the 90's bikes have been moved on locally the past couple of weeks, the Klein Quantum II and then yesterday the Serotta CSI....that one hurt a bit. In exchange though I got my hands on a real live, honest to goodness, David Kirk built Terraplane for a great price. Conflicting timing too as I had about half a dozen bikes listed locally with the plan being to use the money from them to finally get my own custom David Kirk. But this one is so nice and in my size so who knows. I wasn't going to offer on it but after about two weeks no one had so the guy expediting the sell off of some bikes for a widow hit me up and told me to make her an offer. And now it's mine!

The unique Terraplane seatstays, further evolution of his DKS rearend

Finished up last night with my last new pair of GP 4000s II tires with latex tubes. Also swapped on a Fizik Kurve saddle and Campagnolo Seatpost for now.

Joe Bell paintwork has held up well

Beautiful lugs

More lovely details

Athena/Centaur mix

Athena/Centaur mix

Athena/Centaur mix, compact crank

Old style Kirk Decals.

Old style Kirk Decals.
Old 07-30-22, 05:45 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Bottle cages perfect match

Still my favorite tires

Campagnolo hubs

Nice

More details

Ritchey Stem and bars, may swap as they are 44 cm.

Montana beauty

More wonderful detail

Is that fork crown beautiful or what??

Campagnolo hub
Old 07-30-22, 05:48 AM
jamesdak 

Ritchey Stem

I love these saddles

Those seatstays!

Velocity rims on the Record hubs

Simple, elegant fork

Lug work

Lug work

Lug work

These are the two that left the bike cave:

Decided to keep the Cannondale and pass this on

I can't say nothing bad about this one but too often I passed it up in the bike cave and grabbed something else. It is so beautiful in person though and a fine ride.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07-30-22 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 07-30-22, 06:06 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 756 Posts
Wow, that Terraplane is a gorgeous looking bike. Lovely color(s).
Old 07-30-22, 07:49 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Love it - a special and unique bike right there.
Old 07-30-22, 08:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Bring it to Cino, he's a regular there.
Old 07-30-22, 08:35 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
Wow, that bike is gorgeous.Wow
Nice score.
Hope it rides as good as it looks or better.
Old 07-30-22, 12:51 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Thing looks brand new! Are the lugs stainless?
Old 07-30-22, 01:55 PM
jamesdak 

Got it out this morning for a 27.6 mile test ride. Didn't really try going fast but the bike seemed to want to. A lot of time spent in the 19-21 mph range on the flats when I was getting on it a bit. Spent several miles just playing around and making sure all was working fine mechanically. What struck me was high quiet this one is and how smooth it felt on the rough chipseal. I ride this same route all the time so I know the sections that normally kick me hard in the saddle and such. A lot less of that today it seemed like. The front though with the stiff oversized handlebar and stem didn't feel as smooth as several of my other steel rides. My position on this felt great, even down in the drops. The bike seemed to get even lighter under me when I stood and pedaled, I like that sensation. I was not riding strong today and actually felt like crap the last 10 miles or so. Yet the bike was easy for a lot of those miles to still run fast and if I lost concentration and slowed down it would take right back off when I got back on it. The tires are measuring out at a little over 27mm on those rims. Normally I'd be running these at 80/90 psi. Today I set each tire at 5 psi higher yet the ride never felt harsh. I took one sharp 90 degree turn at a little over 22 mph with no drama, she just planted and turned.

This shot shows how that top tube really isn't level.

The paint is so awesome out on the road when you look down at it in the sunlight.
Old 07-30-22, 03:45 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by smd4
Thing looks brand new! Are the lugs stainless?
Painted.
Old 07-31-22, 02:43 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
That is a real beauty. Sounds like it rides like it looks, even making a crappy feeling body enjoy the ride.
Old 07-31-22, 03:01 AM
Alexbaker67

Bikes: 1985 Davidson Signature, 1983 Davidson Signature, 2002 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1980 Kobe Citation, 1954 Raleigh Sports, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, 1936 Elgin American

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
That is such a subtly elegant bike. Just perfect. Nice score!
Old 07-31-22, 06:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have to say that is a great match up between the new owner and the bicycle. Good for you James!
Old 07-31-22, 08:11 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Beautiful!
Old 07-31-22, 01:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,488 Posts
That is a beautiful frame.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-31-22, 10:39 PM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 69 Posts
Beautiful bike! DK does some amazing work!
Old 08-01-22, 12:45 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm slowly making progress to drawing down the collection/stable of bikes. Two of the 90's bikes have been moved on locally the past couple of weeks, the Klein Quantum II and then yesterday the Serotta CSI....that one hurt a bit. In exchange though I got my hands on a real live, honest to goodness, David Kirk built Terraplane for a great price. Conflicting timing too as I had about half a dozen bikes listed locally with the plan being to use the money from them to finally get my own custom David Kirk. But this one is so nice and in my size so who knows. I wasn't going to offer on it but after about two weeks no one had so the guy expediting the sell off of some bikes for a widow hit me up and told me to make her an offer. And now it's mine!
Beautiful bike! Love the color and groupset. How do you like that 11-speed Athena? I am new to Campy having Shimano, mostly Dura-Ace from the beginning, starting with 6-speed AX/EX through the 9-speed 7700 series. I only recently tried out Campy when I purchased an almost unused Ritchey Carbon Breakaway with 11-speed Campy SR. Then I built up my Zullo with the 11-speed Athena and my Tesch with Record 11. I love it and don't see going back to Shimano.
Old 08-01-22, 07:16 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Beautiful bike! Love the color and groupset. How do you like that 11-speed Athena? I am new to Campy having Shimano, mostly Dura-Ace from the beginning, starting with 6-speed AX/EX through the 9-speed 7700 series. I only recently tried out Campy when I purchased an almost unused Ritchey Carbon Breakaway with 11-speed Campy SR. Then I built up my Zullo with the 11-speed Athena and my Tesch with Record 11. I love it and don't see going back to Shimano.
It works just fine. I've got it on a few bikes. I prefer Campagnolo over Shimano but will ride whatever. I just wish there was still some affordable Campagnolo Silver parts you could still get.