Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adding spacers onto a crankset with a square taper

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-28-20, 06:55 AM
Egglesworth1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new crankset as my old one was busted, but when I put it on, I realised that it was too close to the frame to be able to get into first gear. Is there a way to add spacers onto this even though it has a square taper?
Old 07-28-20, 07:01 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Egglesworth1
I bought a new crankset as my old one was busted, but when I put it on, I realised that it was too close to the frame to be able to get into first gear. Is there a way to add spacers onto this even though it has a square taper?
you can’t add spacers to the crank itself - it has to engage the BB taper. However, you might be able to shift the BB itself to the right by a few mm, depending on the BB design. However, cranks generally require a specific BB spindle length, so unless you installed an identical replacement crank, you’ll likely have to revisit BB length
Old 07-28-20, 07:02 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
No, you will need a bottom bracket with a longer spindle.
Old 07-28-20, 08:50 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I'm a little confused as to how the crank being too close to the frame keeps it from going into 1st gear. I understand that if the crank is hitting the frame that the crank can't make a complete rotation...and thereby be unable to switch gears. Is THAT what's keeping it from going into 1st? I mean just the fact that the crank can't completely rotate doesn't otherwise impact the chain being able to go onto the various gears. Otherwise...as indicated above...you need to either get a BB with a wider spindle, or cranks with an angle that will prevent it from hitting the frame.

Dan
Old 07-28-20, 08:58 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I'm a little confused as to how the crank being too close to the frame keeps it from going into 1st gear. I understand that if the crank is hitting the frame that the crank can't make a complete rotation...and thereby be unable to switch gears. Is THAT what's keeping it from going into 1st? I mean just the fact that the crank can't completely rotate doesn't otherwise impact the chain being able to go onto the various gears. Otherwise...as indicated above...you need to either get a BB with a wider spindle, or cranks with an angle that will prevent it from hitting the frame.

Dan
I think he's saying that his FD can't shift to the small chainring because it (the chainring) is now too far inboard.
Old 07-28-20, 09:32 AM
Egglesworth1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I think he's saying that his FD can't shift to the small chainring because it (the chainring) is now too far inboard.
Yep, that's exactly right
Old 07-28-20, 09:35 AM
Egglesworth1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I think I'll try and get a replacement bottom bracket (ideally with the UK governments bike voucher!)
Old 07-28-20, 10:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
It is possible to shim the crank flats. Use thin aluminum sheet. I've used Coke cans and .007" sheet. Cut two "bow ties" with the bows being thaper of the spindle, then coming across the top of the spindle (ie the knot part of the tie, then a similar taper to match the opposing flat., Bend each shim into hard cornered "U"s so that the shim fits tight ti the spindle and both flats and there is no excess at the spindle end. Cross the two shims so all four tapers are covered. Now slide the crank on. Perhaps tap the crank a few times with a padded mallet. Punch a hole in the shims at the crank bolt hole and very gently dill the shim out of the bolt. Insert bolt and tighten as usual.

Properly done, the shims last until you take off the cranks. I always make new ones for the re-install.

I just did the math. Crank shim distance = shim thickness / sin (2 degrees) = shim thickness / 0.0349 = 29 X shim thickness. Yes, thin shims do quite a lot, hence the Coke cans. THis jibes with my experience, The .007" sheet made a huge difference; a whole new spindle length. Coke cans make a good adjustment.

Edit: No one mentioned the two tapers. Bottom bracket spindle come in ISO and JIS tapers. Both use 2 degree taper but he difference is how thick they are. The difference makes a 4.5 mm difference on where the cranks sits. Lifted from Sheldon Brown's excellent website "If you install an ISO crank on a J.I.S. spindle, it will sit about 4.5 mm farther out than it would on an ISO spindle of the same length." (https://sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-28-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-29-20, 08:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Wondering if the "L" limit screw is, or can be adjusted.

Dan
Old 07-30-20, 04:05 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
It's fairly normal to shim the BB cups to adjust the left and right crank arms to get them symmetric. One thing you could do is to measure your front chain line and crank symmetry first before choosing a new BB spindle length. Also note that Shimano BB of different lengths have different symmetry.
Old 10-03-22, 08:55 PM
dy60

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beer can BB shims

I used a modified beverage can shim method, simply making four tiny shims that cover the flats and bend 90 degrees over the tip of the spindle by about 1 mm, enough to hold them in place while the crank is placed into position, but not enough to block the threads. I used a drop of bearing grease to adhere them to the spindle long enough to get the crank pushed on, and tightened it up. There's still plenty of thread engagement on the fixing bolt. This gained me 3mm in "spindle length" and will suffice for this occasionally ridden vintage bike until I can acquire a 68 x 127.5mm spindle. In truth, my DIY 125.5mm spindle pushed the inner chain ring to a safe distance away from the chain stay and, as a bonus, set the chain line pretty spot on. I doubt that 127.5mm spindle will ever get ordered.
Old 10-03-22, 10:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
First of all, I'm confused by the premise.

Generally we want cranks inboard as much as possible, with typical chainstay clearance of only a few millimeters.

You reference problems shifting to 1st gear. Are we talking FD shift to inner chainring, or something in back?

As mentioned there are workarounds to move the crank 1-3mm, but usually no more (certain BBs are an exception). Or if you have a classic cup/spindle BB, there are plenty of alternate spindles to choose from.

But before looking at ways to move the crank, think about exactly WHY you need to move it, and if there are easier ways to solve that problem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-04-22, 06:50 AM
dy60

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point was that the inner chain ring was so far inboard that the derailleur "bottomed out" on the seat tube before it carried the chain to the ring. Having the chain ring(s) as far inboard as possible while clearing the chain stay is not the goal -- clearing the chain stay, getting the Q-factor right, and getting the chain line right are the goals. Sometimes Q-factor and chain line cannot both be optimized.

Last edited by dy60; 10-04-22 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added thought
Old 10-04-22, 10:30 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Edit: No one mentioned the two tapers. Bottom bracket spindle come in ISO and JIS tapers. Both use 2 degree taper but he difference is how thick they are. The difference makes a 4.5 mm difference on where the cranks sits. Lifted from Sheldon Brown's excellent website "If you install an ISO crank on a J.I.S. spindle, it will sit about 4.5 mm farther out than it would on an ISO spindle of the same length." (https://sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html)

Ben
For clarity: the Rene Herse site says it moves each crank arm by between 2mm and 2.5mm.

Both are credible sources of info. Rene Herse and the late Sheldon Brown are consistent if Sheldon Brown was quoting the total difference in spindle length required for interchange, which would be divided between the two crank arms.

I believe that to be the case, but I haven't tried mounting the same crank on both to verify.

Last edited by Hondo6; 10-05-22 at 05:05 AM.