Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Park Classes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 07:52 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts

Hello, I’m a new Forum member. I’d like to know if folks have thoughts about the value of Park shop classes?

I don’t have the tools or expertise to install headsets and bottom brackets, so I pay a mechanic to install those and then I assemble the rest of the bike myself.

I’d really like to do as much of my own work as possible so I’m open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Jacob_R_59
Old 06-07-21, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Learning how to work on bikes can be quite fun and Park Tool is great at instruction. Not a terrible idea if you are interested in wrenching. However be prepared to buy tools (which is not a bad thing, good quality tools are well worth it) I am about to buy more Snap-On stuff because the Snap-On truck that I normally go to is stopping by the shop on a special excursion outside of their normal sell zone (because we buy a decent amount of stuff at the shop and he is dropping off a big cab) New tool day can be as fun as new bike day and sometimes can almost cost as much.

However it is still not a terrible thing to pay a mechanic to do the work. I don't always want to work on my bikes or have an issue I can't solve and am happy to pass it off to another more skilled mechanic to get the jerb done.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-07-21, 09:45 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob_R_59
Hello, I’m a new Forum member. I’d like to know if folks have thoughts about the value of Park shop classes?

I don’t have the tools or expertise to install headsets and bottom brackets, so I pay a mechanic to install those and then I assemble the rest of the bike myself.

I’d really like to do as much of my own work as possible so I’m open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Jacob_R_59
Don't pay to learn to wrench on your own bikes. There are tons of great videos that lay out what to do. The problem is there are also tons of videos that aren't great and give bad advice. Learn what's good and what isn't. Art's Cyclery is very reputable and makes great videos. Sheldon Brown is a great resource, although not in video format. If you're looking to wrench on bikes for a career, then Barnett's Bicycle Institute can give you certification that will greatly increase your employability at bike shops across the US. I don't think the Park training carries nearly as much weight.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-07-21, 11:16 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I do think a class can be more helpful than YouTube, if only because you can ask questions and someone can check your work as you go. But learning on your own is certainly do-able, as long as you accept and expect the "error" part of trial-and-error.

I really think the areas you're most likely to get into trouble are in wheelbuilding/dishing/truing (although they're among the most satisfying skills to learn), and pressing in bearings and setting crown races (mostly because of the tools required). In general, most everything else is just matter of threading on parts and making adjustments; and those adjustments get easier as you develop a feel for them.

And therein lies the rub: home mechanics usually don't have to do all that much wrenching on their own bikes, so it's easy for their newly-learned skills to quickly atrophy. Apprenticing in a shop is a great way to learn a lot and stay in practice.

Last edited by Rolla; 06-07-21 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-08-21, 02:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Park has the best videos on you tube. I've been wanting to buy their book.

https://www.parktool.com/product/big...-edition-bbb-4
Old 06-08-21, 03:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
If you are wanting to tinker on your own bikes... perhaps purchase a beater to tear down and rebuild.

On the other hand, if you are wanting to work in a "shop", perhaps one of the PARK courses would be worthwhile. Nonetheless, book knowledge doesn't fully replace practical experience and ingenuity.

Also check your local community colleges. There may also be expanded offerings that Park doesn't teach including frame building.
Old 06-08-21, 03:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Don't pay to learn to wrench on your own bikes. There are tons of great videos that lay out what to do. The problem is there are also tons of videos that aren't great and give bad advice. Learn what's good and what isn't. Art's Cyclery is very reputable and makes great videos. Sheldon Brown is a great resource, although not in video format. If you're looking to wrench on bikes for a career, then Barnett's Bicycle Institute can give you certification that will greatly increase your employability at bike shops across the US. I don't think the Park training carries nearly as much weight.
We all learn in different ways, some like me learn from reading, some need interaction with a teacher, and some like you like the videos.
Old 06-08-21, 09:28 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
You don’t need a class to learn to replace the headset or BB. You just need the tools.
Now if you are learning to build wheels or build a bike frame from scratch then yes by all means look for a class.