Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike for Kid?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Bike for Kid?

Old 10-07-21, 07:10 PM
AudioSQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Road Bike for Kid?

My son wants to do the local MS150 with me this year and I think it could be a fun and memorable father/son activity. The issue is he's almost 13 and I don't want to spend much on a bike. 1) He's growing like a weed and will out grow it in no time. 2) Once we start training he may change his mind.

I really only need to get him something that will last about 9 months. Obviously something used seems like the logical choice, and I'll be on the hunt but the selection for his height could be limited. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better, but I'd rather not go over $250. Thanks!
Old 10-08-21, 12:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
I know it's tempting to set a low budget, but keep in mind that bicycles have resale value. If you find a quality used bike, chances are you can sell it for about the same amount if it's less than a year later. Heck, my son recently grew out of a bike which I then sold for $60 MORE than I had paid for it. A cheap new bike will not only be less fun to ride (heavier, sloppy shifting, etc.), but it's value will drop the moment it leaves the store.
Old 10-08-21, 01:00 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Depending on his height, he might fit some XXS/XS/S adult bikes, which could open up some more possibilities/help with resale when the time comes. For reference, I'm 5'2" and ride anything from a 46-48cm road bike.
Old 10-08-21, 05:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by AudioSQ
My son wants to do the local MS150 with me this year and I think it could be a fun and memorable father/son activity. The issue is he's almost 13 and I don't want to spend much on a bike. 1) He's growing like a weed and will out grow it in no time.
How tall is he currently? I was about that age when I inherited my dad's bike and it remained my bike for the next decade. It was too big for me for about the first year.
Old 10-08-21, 06:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'd suggest looking for a juniors focused cycling team in your area. It's not uncommon for those organizations to have a network of junior bikes they pass around/sell as the kids grow. It may also give your child an outlet to develop his riding for the MS150.
Old 10-08-21, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
My son wants to do the local MS150 with me this year and I think it could be a fun and memorable father/son activity. The issue is he's almost 13 and I don't want to spend much on a bike. 1) He's growing like a weed and will out grow it in no time. 2) Once we start training he may change his mind.

I really only need to get him something that will last about 9 months. Obviously something used seems like the logical choice, and I'll be on the hunt but the selection for his height could be limited. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better, but I'd rather not go over $250. Thanks!
Best of luck. Genuinely- I hope you can find something that is in good ridable condition that fits for that price. Dont look for specific model suggestions because we dont know whats available in your area in that size and price range. Contact any local collective/co-ops in your area, search facebook, and search craigslist.
Old 10-08-21, 08:14 AM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't even think about resale value as I never sell anything. I find it a hastle and usually just give things away, but that is a very good point. Looking at it that way I just need to sell it for no less than the $250 I paid for it. I guess the nicer the bike the better the resale. He just better take care of it.

I believe he's about 5'6", which I suppose puts him in the short adult category. I imagine he'll at least be 2" or 3" taller come time for the ride, which is May.

Thanks for the input!

​​
Old 10-08-21, 09:21 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Don't worry about it. Get him a big bike. He'll grow into it. I had an old FUJI that I literally had to jump on and off of it was so big. Called it my horse. Also consider building up a bike with him. Find an aluminum or steel framed bike then buy up some fair component beater bikes at the pawn shop and build a bike. Easy and fun, especially with your kid...
Old 10-08-21, 09:24 AM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I feel like if we're going to ride 150 miles in two days it should be a pretty good fit? Kids don't feel the pain like I do though.
Likes For AudioSQ:
Old 10-08-21, 10:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I didn't even think about resale value as I never sell anything. I find it a hastle and usually just give things away, but that is a very good point. Looking at it that way I just need to sell it for no less than the $250 I paid for it. I guess the nicer the bike the better the resale. He just better take care of it.

I believe he's about 5'6", which I suppose puts him in the short adult category. I imagine he'll at least be 2" or 3" taller come time for the ride, which is May.

Thanks for the input!

​​
Maybe go to the C&V forum here and post in the sales forum that you are looking. Give details on frame size, buy price, and what you want for equipment(modern only or open to whatever). There are a lot of posters with a ton of bikes that arent ridden- both c&v and modern. Someone may have something that would work and it would likely sell for less than what the same bike would on ebay.
Old 10-08-21, 01:09 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I feel like if we're going to ride 150 miles in two days it should be a pretty good fit? Kids don't feel the pain like I do though.
Check on FB. There are a couple of groups like Houston Recycle(if memory serves) that have stuff come up all the time. It should be pretty easy to find a nicer/maybe a bit older 50-52cm bike in the Greater Houston area.

Also, Ready2Roll Cycling has a good training series for the MS150. They have a classified section that may be a good place to look at. The Ready2Roll people are really great and could be a good training series to participate in. However, their routes are mostly west and north west of Katy. so it may be too far a drive for you and your son to make from the woodlands each year.
Old 10-08-21, 01:47 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I would agree. Kids are more tolerant than adults, so maybe 1 size up, but make sure you can get the right saddle height, saddle setback, and handlebar reach.
Old 10-10-21, 10:40 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
...we're going to ride 150 miles in two days...
Doing something together with your kid... Priceless...
Old 10-10-21, 10:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Just for clarity, I don't think the OP is debating on a child's bike versus an adult's bike. At 5'6" he likely fits a 51cm or 52cm bike just fine, but the issue being considered is that he might grow into a 54cm in just 1 year. While going up a couple cm is probably ok, I have seen what happens when you get too big of a bike. My little brother could barely steer his first 700c bike and looked like a fish wiggling down the road. My parents got me a 56cm frame after I had basically gone up 2cm every year for 3 years... then I suddenly stopped growing. Never got comfortable on it and ended up selling it to go back down one size. That's why I suggest a used name brand bike. They hold their value.
Old 10-10-21, 11:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I'd probably also go used, somewhere around 54cm.

If you are mechanically savvy, you and the kid could rebuild the bike over the winter.

The kid should be able to ride the bike for several years in the future.

"Vintage" is fine, although I cringe at calling the Murrays and cheap Schwinns "Road Bikes". But, keep your nose to the ground and you should be able to find a decent used road bike in the $200 to $300 range.

I'm seeing a Trek Lexa. It is advertised as a "Woman's bike", but it should work fine.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...388524746.html

Here you go, $125 for a pair of bikes, one short, and one tall... perfect for growing into.

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...391140628.html
Old 10-10-21, 09:24 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Doing something together with your kid... Priceless...
Indeed. He's getting to the age where he's too cool for me so I'm really hoping this will be a good experience for both of us. Probably make me too loose with the cash.

The plan now is to get him something decent, around 54cm and sell it after for hopefully not too much of a loss. Fortunately we're in a big city so it shouldn't be too hard to find inventory. I'm going to do a couple shorter rides with him on his mom's hybrid first though. Make sure he doesn't change his mind.
Old 10-11-21, 09:29 AM
jennyshop

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same dilemma.
Old 11-06-21, 12:36 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ended up getting him a nicer well used bike, CAAD10. Unfortunately once I got home with it I notice a couple of dings that I missed.. I'll probably take a bath when I sell it. The guy was into Formula 1 so I ended up talking more about the Austin race than inspecting. Oh well, still worth it for the memories.. if I could actually keep up with him. At least we see each other at the start 😏 The bike is a little too big for him, but I have no doubt he'll quickly grow into it.

Likes For AudioSQ:
Old 11-07-21, 09:32 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
That’s a nice bike! I wouldn’t even hurry to sell it.

if that’s your son’s current saddle height, then he has plenty of room for growth.