Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1986) Richard SACHS Signature

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 10:20 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 07-22-22, 11:48 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Neat!
I hadn't seen this interview before, and it's the first time I'd heard about Mr. Sachs preference for very low bottom brackets! I gotta admit, I got used to a 10 1/2" bottom bracket on my mid 70's Raleigh Gran Sport. I kept that dimension when I had two subsequent custom frames built, and had one builder ask if I really wanted it that low.

Personally, now that I have another bike with a high bottom bracket (about 11"?), I'm not sure that it's a major difference in how the bike handles. With clipless pedals, there's little chance of grounding a pedal in a turn with the lower BB (unlike with conventional pedals). On the bike with the high BB, when I stop at an intersection, I have to get off of the saddle in order to put a foot down.

Another topic that got my attention was the use of SLX tubing on a large frame. As someone who rides 62cm frames, c-t, I'd always thought that SL was too light. Not sure if SLX was considered good enough. I did notice that a SP down tube was used, along with SP fork blades, so that was a good choice to improve the torsional stiffness. The minor tendency to shimmy wasn't surprising, but now I'm wondering if the bike would be considered to "plane".

Thanks for sharing the article!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 07-22-22, 12:49 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
I've owned several Richard Sachs frames over the years, but none at present. I've copied the dimensions of my most recent RS frameset on to my current custom bikes.

I do prefer a low bottom bottom bracket; I consider 26 cm (10.25") my favorite. (Previously used on Richard Sachs and 1979 Pinarello).

I don't notice much difference in BB height when riding on the flat, but when descending, the lower BB feels more stable (secure). To me, a 27cm BB height (previously: 2001 Mercian) feels perched high up and doesn't feel as stable. 26.0 to 26.5 cm, to me, feels much better.

I found that a 25.5 cm (10") BB felt a slight bit soft under pedaling force. (Transition from one RS frame to another.)

All bikes were/are 60 cm c-t, with 175mm cranks and Look pedals.
Old 07-23-22, 08:00 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
In the clipless pedal era ( most recent, not the original Look ) a low bottom bracket is less of a concern.
Riders are very adaptable, one learns the machine.

way back I had two race bikes, one with a very high bracket. Terrific for criterium racing, I could pedal through a corner and hear my competition behind dig a pedal in the turn.
very useful on the last corner.
today, not that necessary.

do find it interesting that so many plastic frames have 70 mm of drop.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-23-22, 09:17 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
I love the comparison of the design aesthetic of the Campy gruppo to a Ford Taurus!

Likes For poprad:
Old 08-02-22, 07:52 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
Old 08-02-22, 08:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
^^^Great quote.
Old 08-02-22, 10:28 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
I love the broadside photo of the entire bike along with the detail photos, all with simple backgrounds. Seems that in today's magazines, we rarely get broadside photos; often all we get are "wedge" shots of the bike taken at extreme angles from the front or rear.
Likes For smd4: