Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding Through Multiple Flats

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 10:46 AM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I carry CO2 and a spare tube to avoid getting stranded but once it's installed I have to turn around because another flat would leave me stuck.

I hear about people with better setups who can get numerous flats and keep riding, so I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

do they carry 10 tubes on each ride?

or would they somehow carry all the necessities to patch a tube? I have a glueless patch kit that does work, but it's useless on the side of the road because I usually can't find the hole. That's what happened this morning.

cheap frame pumps can't get my 32-630 (27") tires fully inflated, and partial inflation takes weeks of pumping. So I use CO2, but every time I've tried to release just a bit of CO2 to find a hole in an inner tube, it's ended up leaking and I've wasted a whole cylinder, in addition to not even finding the hole (no water to dunk it in). So now I only use CO2 to inflate good tubes.

carrying a ****** frame pump and soapy water in a spray bottle just to find holes in tubes seems crazy.

every time I've used a sealant like slime I've gotten a flat anyway and when I went to fix it had to deal with a gigantic mess inside the tire. I'm better off fixing double the flats with no mess, even if it means carrying a case of tubes.

I have those hard flexible plastic strips that go in the tire to shield the inner tube and thought about installing them. Of course that would be adding weight at the worst possible location on the bike. In the past I've gotten punctures right at the edges of the plastic strips.

I thought using gatorskin tires would be all I needed to do, and it does help tremendously, but I still get flats far too often.

So what do you do? End your ride at one flat? Contract a semi truck to follow you carrying a load of spare tubes?
Old 08-21-22, 11:20 AM
GGDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
In my jersey pockets I carry one spare tube, one CO2 cannister, 2 tire levers, a pocket/mini pump, and a patch kit (that includes the quick drying cement—the no-cement patches are worthless). I've also put a single tire boot in the patch kit in case the tire gets torn up in addition to an inner tube problem.

Then I treat flats as needed:
  • First flat just change the inner tube (and hang onto the old one), inflating with CO2
  • Next flat, patch whichever innertube is more easily fixed and inflate with the pocket pump. It doesn't take ridiculously long to pump with a quality pump. You also don't need soapy water to find the hole, just remove the tube, overpump with air (it's fast when not constrained in the tire), and feel for the airflow leak using your face. Repeat as needed/possible for subsequent flats, using whichever tube is in the best condition for the next patch
  • If a flat can't be patched, then tie a small knot in the tube around the hole and use. It's a bumpy/ugly ride, but it works to get home
  • If for some reason you have another flat or the above don't work out for you, worst case you can stuff your tire with grass to get home. It's a time-consuming, PITA but IMO better than a call of shame. I've actually done that to get 10 miles home.

IMPORTANT: take note of where the tire is relative to the valve, and when you replace the tube, be sure to find the leak, and carefully rub your fingers along the inside of the tire where the leak was to see if a small thorn or nail is still in the tire. If you get in the habit of checking the inside of your tire every time you swap tubes, you will dramatically reduce the incidences of multiple flats. Some people carry a cotton swab for this purpose and use it around the inside circumference of the tire. That way you can find any wires/thorns in your tire without tearing up your finger.

If you're getting flats this often, you can also try to avoid potholes. Inflating to the right pressure before every ride will also help minimize pinch flats.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-22, 11:24 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I went tubeless.
I still get holes, they seal as I ride.
I took a nail in the tread and out the sidewall.
Following day I found it, tire was still hard enough to ride.
I tossed the tire out of concern for safety.

Barry

700x25 GP5000TL
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-21-22, 11:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Get tires with good puncture resistance. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Small frame pumps are indeed up to the task of inflating a tire to adequate riding pressure. Spare tubes will fit in all but the smallest of seat pouchess. Modern patch kits are tiny and very good.
Old 08-21-22, 11:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I carry two tubes, patch kit and a frame pump on all my bikes. (Well, I am switching over to tubular so it is for now, 2 spare tires. Sewup patch kit and re-learning sewup repair skills coming.)

I patch tubes if I can find the leak at the time. This means I know where the puncture is and using the patch, can find and address the issue at the tire. (If you know from your tube you flatted because of a small, sharp object, knowing exactly where to look on the tire means usually finding that deeply imbedded tiny shard of glass or minuscule fragment of car tire wire. The full frame fit pump means I can fill tires all day in relative comfort and ease. And with two tubes and say 6 patches, that's 8 flats before that call of shame.

A trick you probably already know - always line up your tire's label with either the valve or directly opposite at the rim seam. Now, you can just lay your patched tube on the tire or inside and see exactly where the issue is. (Or exactly the same distance from the valve in the other direction. Some mark their tubes to indicate "forward" to get around this. I never got that organized.)

Oh, great pumps are the Zephal HPX. They come in 4 lengths, 1 through 4. Get the length about an inch longer than where it is going to fit on your bike. Enough volume to pump big tires (though not ideal) and will go easily to any pressure you will ever want on the road. (120 psi - no big deal.) Normal road width tires, 90 pumps will get you to full road pressure. Drawback - if you ride in groups, the day will come when others will want to use it because they ran out/screwed up their inflation/... and they may or may not know how to use the Zephal. I lost one when so many others flatted I got tired of pumping, gave it to someone do pump their own and had it returned broken. (Gravel. I rode big tires and had no issues all day.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-21-22 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-21-22, 12:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
On my two main bikes, I run tubeless tires with sealant, and I carry a tubeless tire plug kit...And I still carry 2x spare tubes and a patch kit, along with CO2 and a pump. Depending on the number of patches in the kit, I reckon that I can deal with over ten punctures in a ride. (Since I went tubeless, I've twice had to insert a tube into a tire -- that's over four years and probably 20,000+ miles on those bikes.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-21-22, 12:33 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
While looking for the hole I always seem to lose the tube/tire orientation.
If I find the hole at 2 o’clock from the valve, I check inside the tire at 2 & 10 o’clock.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-21-22, 12:43 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Flats

On most rides I carry one spare tube, on longer rides two. I carry a frame mounted pump and also a CO2 inflator with two cylinders. I also carry self sticking patches and a tire boot. In all my years of riding(lots) I have only had to repair more than one flat once or twice. I use the hand pump to inflate the new tube to maybe 30-40 psi,
then finish with the CO2 inflator. On hot humid days be careful not to damage the valve stem core as the CO2
freezes it up. Bill
Old 08-21-22, 12:53 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
when I was road riding I rode multiple consecutive years without a flat

thousands of miles

on 20 and 23 mm tires

used high pressure (100 psi +)

quality tires - in good shape (when tires showed wear I gave them away or pitched them)

stayed away from sides of roads as much as possible - especially when littered with debris

I carried a spare tube, two CO2 cartridges, tube patches, and two levers - but never used them

I did donate a tube two times to other riders that flatted

Last edited by t2p; 08-21-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 02:07 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Another timely post for me. I had a day yesterday, fortunately, a lot of good with the not so good. I went down a highway I usually avoid due to distracted drivers and a lot of junk on the shoulder. I have had more flats on that stretch of road, over the years, than anywhere else. I had a flat halfway to where I turn, found I did not have my CO2 , and I missed a small shard of glass in the tire, ergo, flatted my spare. I could not feel the glass, but saw it from the outside, then felt it with the tire more stretched inside out. I had patches and a pump, but I walked 3/4 mile to a bike shop and bought a tube. I went to change the tube and realized I had left the lever on the ground. I can get the tires off without one, but it is a chore and hard on my hands, especially left thumb. No big deal, went back inside and borrowed a lever and a floor pump.
The good part is it not a big deal, spring 2020 was the last time I had multi flats on a ride. Also, really nice, was the number of cyclists, and a few drivers, that took the time to ask if I needed help. I do the same, when/if I can, and it is quite nice to be on the receiving end
Old 08-21-22, 02:14 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Hot tip for those who patch: draw a directional arrow on your tube with a Sharpie. When you pull the tube out to patch it, you can more easily find the offending thorn or glass in the tire, because you’ll know which way the tube was oriented when the flat occurred.

OP: On my bikes with tubes I carry one spare tube, an old-school patch kit, two CO2 cartridges, and a mini pump. I’ve fixed multiple flats on a ride by patching when I can and replacing the tube if I can’t patch it. I use the CO2 cans first and save the pump as a last resort.

To find the hole, put some air in the tube with the pump and hold the tube under your nose or against your ear; as you rotate the tube, you’ll feel and hear the air escaping.

Last edited by Rolla; 08-21-22 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-21-22, 02:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron

cheap frame pumps can't get my 32-630 (27") tires fully inflated, and partial inflation takes weeks of pumping. ?
Lezyne and Topeak make some good quality mini pumps and it's pretty easy to get your tires inflated up to 80 - 90 PSI with any of their pumps. You shouldn't need more than 90 PSI in your tires.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-21-22, 03:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
If you really do not want to be dealing with tube changes or patches, get a good set of touring tires with extra flat protection.
I find the Marathon Green Guards a bargain and I like the way they roll on my 29er. Heavy, but that is the sacrifice for not having to change tubes.
Old 08-21-22, 03:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I like my Gator Hardshells. Reasonably flat proof, and very long wearing, but still reasonably light. I know some on this forum don't like them, but they've done well for me.

I carry a mini pump (no CO2), and not micro sized. I think mine may be tending more to the MTB side, so reasonable volume, but not super high pressure, but high enough.

One pump I found was adjustable for high/low pressure. So one could do most of the inflation on low pressure, then top off on high pressure.

1 or 2 tubes, plus a patch kit (glue type).

With the pump, I can always find the hole (which helps looking for something in the tire casing that could be causing problems).
Old 08-21-22, 04:12 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I've had pretty good luck on the road with glueless patches, probably 4 out of 5 or better; I have a cache of Cannondale branded ones that have been pretty good, the cheap Slime "Skabs" turned out to be generally worthless.
Glueless patches seem to work best on mid-pressure hybrid,/trail type tires (30-50psi) and on tread-side punctures ; I've had decent results under these circumstances and am usually able to get rolling pretty quickly

I usually carry spare tubes on each bike, and a mini-pump if I'm going farther than walking distance, and on the road bike and the MTB, I'm more likely to swap the tube and do a proper glued patch when I get it home
Old 08-21-22, 04:37 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
My BSR bikes (big stupid ride) are tubeless. I got a flat in one of them today, first time in probably 2 years. I guess it was my turn. With tubeless, if you do get a puncture, it’ll seal most times. If not, a quick plug and some CO2 or a few strokes from a pump and you’re rolling again. I do carry a spare tube in case there is a valve problem. Two 16 ounce cartridges and a mini pump when I’m going to be miles from anywhere.

Keep in mind that most tubeless setups (gravel and MTB) are pretty low pressure and high volume. The little pump is easily adequate but sometimes time consuming.

You mentioned 27” wheels though. I assume
that means you have a vintage bike. Me too, I don’t ride them on epics but do enjoy centuries on them. A nice Zefal or Silca frame pump works great and is probably perfectly in character with your bike. Carry one tube and practice using a patch kit without submerging the tube.

I only ride those those types of bikes on the road, but even in the goathead desert, on the road I rarely flat. Even going lightweight.

If it’s really a problem, something like a Continental Gatorskin with a pump of slime will practically last forever. I don’t think they ride all that bad but certainly are not on par to a supple setup.

But seriously, get a frame pump. It’s so nice and nice looking that I feel like I’m slumming when I ride newer bikes with CO2.
Old 08-21-22, 07:02 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
You can easily find the hole in any tube by simply pumping air into it. You can feel where the air is coming out with your hand, the air streaming out of the hole feels cold. Most flats are caused by punctures, often you can see the nail, screw, glass, or whatever still stuck in the tire. If not, sometimes the hole itself is visible, or you can find the hole by pumping air into the tire and listening for the leak. Patches usually work very well, and are all the more convenient as you don’t have to fully remove the tire or tube to patch a hole. However, getting a patch to stick properly takes a little practice. Dirty hands and greasy fingers can make a good patch useless. A good thing to carry in your kit are the alcohol swabs used by doctors, these are great for cleaning grease and dirt off your fingers, and cleaning the tube around the hole so your patch will stick well.

As a kid I lived in rural New Mexico, where goat head stickers are common. The tubes on my bike usually had 10 or more patches on them.
Old 08-21-22, 07:45 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I have 700x35c (35mm) wide tires. Inflation pressure at my weight is only 40 psi. Even a cheap and tiny hand pump that fits inside a small tool bag inflates it without any issues.
Old 08-21-22, 08:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
To find the hole, put some air in the tube with the pump and hold the tube under your nose or against your ear; as you rotate the tube, you’ll feel and hear the air escaping.
My hearing is not very good, so I hold the tube near my cheek and rotate it. That just seems to be the part of me that is most sensitive and hence allows me to detect a leak. It's also close enough to my ears that, if it's a big leak, I can sometimes hear it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-21-22, 08:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
While looking for the hole I always seem to lose the tube/tire orientation.
If I find the hole at 2 o’clock from the valve, I check inside the tire at 2 & 10 o’clock.

Barry
Mark the tube with an arrow indicating rotation at the stem. I use a silver Sharpie because it shows up the best on the rubber.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-21-22, 09:07 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I carry CO2 and a spare tube to avoid getting stranded but once it's installed I have to turn around because another flat would leave me stuck.

I hear about people with better setups who can get numerous flats and keep riding, so I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

do they carry 10 tubes on each ride?
I usually carry 1 or 2 tubes. I change out the tube which is usually enough to get me home. Taking some care as to where you ride is also helpful. Avoid riding where the cars sweep junk. If you live where goatheads grow, avoid running off into the dirt if possible. Goatheads grow in disturbed soils so avoid places where the soil has been dug up.

or would they somehow carry all the necessities to patch a tube? I have a glueless patch kit that does work, but it's useless on the side of the road because I usually can't find the hole. That's what happened this morning.
Yes, I carry the necessities to patch a tube. I carry 10 to 15 Rema patches and the vulcanizing fluid for them (don’t get cheap patch kits that use rubber cement). If you have to patch on the side of the road, pump the tire up to a large size. This expands the hole in the tube so that more air flows out. Then pass the tube over your lips and feel for the air flow. Your lips are very sensitive air flow. You can also use puddles, lakes, streams, or even toilets (eww!) for water if you have to.

cheap frame pumps can't get my 32-630 (27") tires fully inflated, and partial inflation takes weeks of pumping. So I use CO2, but every time I've tried to release just a bit of CO2 to find a hole in an inner tube, it's ended up leaking and I've wasted a whole cylinder, in addition to not even finding the hole (no water to dunk it in). So now I only use CO2 to inflate good tubes.
Don’t get a cheap pump. As has been mentioned above, Lezyne and Topeak make very good, very affordable pumps. The Topeak Road Morph is my personal favorite.

I have those hard flexible plastic strips that go in the tire to shield the inner tube and thought about installing them. Of course that would be adding weight at the worst possible location on the bike. In the past I've gotten punctures right at the edges of the plastic strips.
They aren’t perfect but they work for me. Either that or tires with built in liners. That works well also.

I thought using gatorskin tires would be all I needed to do, and it does help tremendously, but I still get flats far too often.
I’m not a fan of any Continental product. Schwalbe Marathon Plus work well for me.

So what do you do? End your ride at one flat? Contract a semi truck to follow you carrying a load of spare tubes?
You work it out. I often ride where giving up isn’t an option nor is calling for help. I have had 4 blowouts in the first 25 miles of a tour that was 1800 miles from home…a large part of the reason I don’t use Continental products. I hitched a ride to the nearest town and made the ride work.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-21-22, 09:31 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I think my record is 3 or 4 flats repaired on a rainy day years ago.
I carry one spare tube, a frame pump, a patch kit, and a tire lever. Obviously I prefer to patch tubes in my garage, but sometimes you have no choice but to fix it in a downpour!
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 08-22-22, 05:20 AM
tessellahedron

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just tossed a vulcanizing patch kit and a $4 Amazon foot pump that only does 60psi into my pannier. I'm going to re-attemp the 66 mile ride. If I can ever so having thi go back and fix this pathetic auto- correct that is. F'n hate it.

thank you for the many good suggestions. They're we're a couple I wasn't already doing.

sorry the software on my tablet sucks. I really di speak English but I'm not wasting my time fixing this price of junk as king as is remotely legible. Yeah f this tablet.
Old 08-22-22, 08:30 AM
cyccommute 

I just tossed a vulcanizing patch kit and a $4 Amazon foot pump that only does 60psi into my pannier. I'm going to re-attemp the 66 mile ride. If I can ever so having thi go back and fix this pathetic auto- correct that is. F'n hate it.

thank you for the many good suggestions. They're we're a couple I wasn't already doing.

sorry the software on my tablet sucks. I really di speak English but I'm not wasting my time fixing this price of junk as king as is remotely legible. Yeah f this tablet.
Don’t expect too much out of a $4 pump. A Topeak Road Morph may cost $50 but it’s capable of far more than 60 psi and it will last a whole lot longer than a cheap pump. I have several pumps that at have been used often and are close to 20 years old. They also are a whole lot easier to carry than a foot pump in addition to being a whole light lighter.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-22-22, 09:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
On long rides, I bring a lezyne mini floor pump, two CO2 cartridges, two tubes, Rema patch kit, Park quick patches, a boot made from an old tire, 3 levers, spare valve, superglue and alcohol pads. Sometimes a spare tire. This should be sufficient to fix any tubeless setup although it wasn't in one case. If I am riding with tubed tires and get a flat and it is not raining, I repair the tube then and there. The next flat could be in the rain and then it is more problematic situation.

On local rides of 20-60 miles, just one CO2, a boot, a tube, Park instant patches, and three irons (actually alu). I typically get 1-2 flats per year although zero this year and zero last year. GP5000 with latex tubes or GP5000 TR S with sealant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.