Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

are all 1x11 speed cassettes the same?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 02:50 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 848 Posts

I know stupid question but have to ask. I have a 1x11 speed and the rear cassette is a VG sport cassette 11-42 so probably a lower quality cassette. My rear derailleur is a Deore M5100 and I have a bar end microshift 11speed bar end shifter. I want to run two sets of wheels and would like to use a better quality shimano 11 speed cassette in the same 11-42 configuration on one of the wheels. right now bike shifts really well if I swap the cassettes am I going to have to make adjustments to the shifter every time I switch back and forth between cassettes? thanks
Old 09-07-22, 02:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Apart from the cassettes, different free hubs can be slightly different. Unless you buy wheels exactly the same as your originals there is always a chance that the cassettes will not line up correctly. If you have disc brakes, you can also have issues with brake calliper rub
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-07-22, 03:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Apart from the cassettes, different free hubs can be slightly different. Unless you buy wheels exactly the same as your originals there is always a chance that the cassettes will not line up correctly. If you have disc brakes, you can also have issues with brake calliper rub
But you can use a shim to adjust cassette spacing. I do this on my Cannondale Topstone gravel bike. A WTB OEM wheel, no name hub, has a 105 12-25 cassette, 2nd wheelset is a 105 hub with a Shimano 11-34 cassette plus a 1mm spacer or so. I go back and forth on these wheels with no adjustment needed to the cable tension for the rear derailer.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-07-22, 03:17 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
free hubs will be the same and wheels are built by the same person using the same hubs and wheels ie wheels will be identical. also cantilever brakes.
Old 09-07-22, 03:37 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Yes all cassettes are the same. Your plan is fine.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-07-22, 04:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
It would be totally normal to have to tweek the RDER barrel adjuster a click or 3 when swapping.
Manufacturing tolerances on supposedly identical parts.
Likes For Bill Kapaun: