Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Polygon Heist X2 vs Norco Storm 4

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-22, 02:38 PM
attackontitan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there,

I've been looking into mountain bikes, and after comparing 6 different models, I narrowed down two that I like:
  • Polygon Heist X2
  • Norco Storm 4
Both are hardtails, both are blue, both are around 30 lbs, and both have internal cable routing. The Norco has an advantage because I could get the medium size with either 27.5" wheels or 29", whereas the Polygon comes standard with 29".

Here's the thing -- the Polygon is going for $500, while the Norco is $800. I don't know much about either brand, so my question is -- do you feel the Norco is worth the $300 price premium?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-28-22, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
The Polygon has slightly better low end drivetrain components but is a hybrid the Norco has potentially better low end brakes and a probably equally low end but higher travel fork neither I would want for mountain biking but they both look like a bit like mountain bikes with the Norco being slightly closer since it has a 100mm fork vs a 700 low travel fork.

Norco seems to be lacking in the entry level hardtail but Polygon does it with the Xtrada7 https://www.polygonbikes.com/xtrada-7/ it has Deore 12 speed and an air fork. It is decent modern parts and a bike worth upgrading down the trail if you wanted to but a good solid entry level bike and keep it as is you could. When I say entry level I do mean it, I don't find the really low end components and cheap coil shocks to be helpful for a beginner they are initially cheap but tend to need more service and replacement more often and aren't going to be as responsive and comfortable to ride so fine for someone not riding much at all and not hitting actual trails.

An entry level bike should have decent enough components to work well and be reliable but also ride semi decently and potentially have some room for upgrade or at least not be sub-par out of the gate. You want to inspire confidence and hold up decently well. Deore is a solid workhorse nothing fancy but it doesn't need to be, The fork is a basic air fork but it is an air fork and going to allow you to set it up for your riding or weight unlike a coil shock that you would get on the other bikes and similar lower end bikes. There are some high end coil shocks but you will rarely if ever see one spec'd on a good bike and you will know it aside from that they aren't so good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-29-22, 06:21 AM
attackontitan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, thanks for the feedback and the Xtrada suggestion. My apologies, but I should have stated in my initial post that I don't plan on riding any hardcore trails; mainly limestone and light gravel trails, while also being able to ride the bike around town if I wanted to (although I have a separate road bike).
Old 09-29-22, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by attackontitan
Hey, thanks for the feedback and the Xtrada suggestion. My apologies, but I should have stated in my initial post that I don't plan on riding any hardcore trails; mainly limestone and light gravel trails, while also being able to ride the bike around town if I wanted to (although I have a separate road bike).
Don't need to ride hardcore trails but if you are going to be going really off road get a good bike. If you are riding on gravel same advice but get a gravel bike. Good reliable components are helpful on just about any bike you are riding with some regularity.