Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colorado Road Cycling Question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-03-22, 12:55 PM
ljsb717

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

Me and a couple of buddies are planning on doing a road cycling trip in Colorado. We're planning on biking from Colorado Springs up Route 24 to Buena Vista but we've heard that it can get sketchy around Pikes Peak and Manitou. Has anyone done this route? Any words of advice and/or an alternate route that we should take?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-03-22, 05:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Good luck. Try asking here: Mountain - Plains - Bike Forums
Old 10-03-22, 08:07 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I've pedalled up and down there a few times with no issues, but not for a while. Some of the drivers around cripple creek were a bit close for my liking

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/333427541
Old 10-03-22, 09:34 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 196 Posts
I grew up in Colorado Springs and have ridden Highway 24 between Manitou and Woodland Park many times. Going up Ute Pass there are a few blind corners that are unnerving due to the traffic, but it's only a handful that you'll get past quickly and if you're an experienced road cyclist you've probably ridden far worse. Aside from those few spots you have a beautiful route in mind. The Donut Mill in Woodland Park is a good place to stop for a snack.

For alternate routes, you could ride to Cripple Creek on Gold Camp Road which is gravel (and has a few steep, rough sections), or take the scenic north route from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park via Mount Herman Road (also gravel).
Old 10-03-22, 09:56 PM
ljsb717

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I grew up in Colorado Springs and have ridden Highway 24 between Manitou and Woodland Park many times. Going up Ute Pass there are a few blind corners that are unnerving due to the traffic, but it's only a handful that you'll get past quickly and if you're an experienced road cyclist you've probably ridden far worse. Aside from those few spots you have a beautiful route in mind. The Donut Mill in Woodland Park is a good place to stop for a snack.

For alternate routes, you could ride to Cripple Creek on Gold Camp Road which is gravel (and has a few steep, rough sections), or take the scenic north route from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park via Mount Herman Road (also gravel).
Thanks so much!
Old 10-04-22, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
You might get on Google Earth and "drive" it from the street view to see what the road conditions look like. Realizing of course that the imagery is old in some or many places and won't reflect repaired, new construction or worsening conditions.

You are planning for next year aren't you? If you are going this year you better do it very soon. Maybe like last week.
Old 10-04-22, 08:59 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge

You could do Rampart Range Rd from Garden of the Gods and drop down into Woodland Park. It's a 12mi, 3000ft steady climb to start your ride, but after just being down there last weekend, I'd fear anyone riding on the stretch between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park. Zero shoulder and 50-60mph. Honestly, it's just the stretch between Manitou and Cascade, where you can get onto a parallel access road or two. But I wouldn't ride it. Too many cars, too fast, no shoulder, blind corners. No thanks.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5242546678/

This is what the road looks like, and it's 45-50mph through here. And some miracle there are no other cars. It's a very busy hwy:
Old 10-04-22, 09:06 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Here's a fantastic write up on Gold Camp Road. I'd consider it a must-do.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/the-...old-camp-loop/
Old 10-07-22, 06:44 AM
Baetis

Bikes: SL4 S-Works, Ibis Mojo 3, Kona Sutra Ltd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure what the road is like east of Wilkerson PAss, but the west side, towards Hartsel the traffic speed is 65+. From Hartsel, over Trout Creek Pass, the road is VERY busy and posted SL is 55. Narrow shoulder, too. God speed if you do it.