Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Preventing damage to a Brooks seat

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-12-20, 02:38 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts

This Sunday I decided to get up early and do my first Century. Totally unprepared, hadn't ridden more than 50-60km in over a month and this was 160km.

Anyway, I wore nylon basket ball shorts. I assume that somehow they rubbed the seat the wrong way. At first I simply blamed the shorts, but then recalled this summer I'd had rides of 120-140km in same shorts with no issues.

It didn't rain, it wasn't super hot. I didn't notice I was sticking to the seat.

I can probably rub the scuffs out with a little brown shoe polish to darken it but I'd like to know what I could do to prevent a re-occurence. Bertinjim suggested that nylon can be abrasive so maybe no more riding with nylon?

Any thoughts???

Old 11-12-20, 08:56 PM
WGB 
WGB

Any ideas.
Old 11-12-20, 09:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Lots of cover options, including one made by Brooks. My favorite is from Randi Jo Fabrications:

https://www.randijofab.com/collections/saddle-covers
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-12-20, 09:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Any ideas.
Shows how the contact there can wad up in weird ways.

I would be just as concerned with the cracking in front of the first rear NDS rivet and behind the DS one, those will not heal but can be slowed way down with salve which will also remedy the chafe although I would go easy on that area.

FWIW, I don't subscribe to Proofide, too thick for my taste.
Old 11-12-20, 09:50 PM
WGB 
WGB

@nlerner - I have a rain cover for a B72 but had never used it because someone told me that it interferes with the "Brooks ride" and you aren't as comfortable. Can you say how the ride is with a cover?

@merziac - "slowed way down with salve". What is this salve you speak of? I had simply used a light amount of brown shoe polish on a kiwi cloth. I was unaware of anything to use beyond proofide. I had used an off market leather product that didn't show silicone as an ingredient.

I am aware of the damage at the rivet. The seat came to me in 2019 as part of a grab bag of stuff. I have no idea of the age or usage of this seat. It was stored in a damp basement for who knows how long and dried and covered in dust. Then, in August I flipped when a tire caught in a pavement rut and sent me flying. Seat got scuffed good on the D side.
Likes For WGB:
Old 11-12-20, 10:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by WGB
@nlerner - I have a rain cover for a B72 but had never used it because someone told me that it interferes with the "Brooks ride" and you aren't as comfortable. Can you say how the ride is with a cover?

@merziac - "slowed way down with salve". What is this salve you speak of? I had simply used a light amount of brown shoe polish on a kiwi cloth. I was unaware of anything to use beyond proofide. I had used an off market leather product that didn't show silicone as an ingredient.

I am aware of the damage at the rivet. The seat came to me in 2019 as part of a grab bag of stuff. I have no idea of the age or usage of this seat. It was stored in a damp basement for who knows how long and dried and covered in dust. Then, in August I flipped when a tire caught in a pavement rut and sent me flying. Seat got scuffed good on the D side.
Well I didn't list my salve, it has silicone and comes from world famous Langlitz Leathers, custom makers here in water logged PDX since the 40's so ymmv.

I do use it sparingly but treat in and out, old, new and all in between, no adverse effects in ten years and has at least partially healed some very fragile looking and seeming ones.

I have at least a dozen and they are all just fine IMO.
Old 11-12-20, 10:22 PM
WGB 
WGB

LOL! Guess I can't just pop over to the local Langlitz Leathers. Guess I can try a local shoe store.
Old 11-13-20, 02:01 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by WGB
LOL! Guess I can't just pop over to the local Langlitz Leathers. Guess I can try a local shoe store.
That would be a good trick since there's only one.

Well I'm not sure what else is in it and as you already know silicone is a bad word for many here so I would proceed with caution if using something else. I stumbled on it when the Proofide didn't seem to help bad condition ones and tried the Langlitz since it was on hand, sparingly at first and more as needed. Its a little fickle as it turns liquid on application and soaks in fast but doesn't go far so you have to be careful, you can wipe off excess if your quick but you need to go easy from the jump.

I would reach out to them and see if they will send you some, if not I can do it and in the mean time maybe a shoe repair or a tack shop, the stores are going to have standard stuff and likely no one with actual hands on experience.
Old 11-13-20, 04:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I use Dr. Martens boot treatment. I get it at the western wear store that I bought my cowboy boots from. It is fantastic for treating all my Brooks and Ideal leather saddles. I pay $10 for a tin that lasts about 2 years and I have quite a few vintage saddles. It is a bit like waxing a car , it takes some rubbing. It helps if you set the saddle out in the sun for a while. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 11-13-20, 06:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
The two bikes I commute the most on have covers on their leather saddles (one Brooks, one Berthoud) year round. That way I avoid the sudden summer rainstorm while my bike is parked outside, potentially ruining a fine leather saddle. As far as comfort, can’t say I notice a difference, but my commute isn’t very long.
Old 11-13-20, 09:59 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 278 Posts
Over the years I've found that MinkOil performs better than anything else I've come across. I have used it on several Ideale saddles and still do, as well as any other leather I own particularly the nifty boots.
Old 11-13-20, 11:30 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
In terms of the saddle, you clean/treat it best you can, lotsa great suggestions here. Try the ones that are practical, like I'm supposing traveling to PDX to visit Langlitz ain't. Whatever comes out the other end adds to the saddle's character.

In terms of future prevention, I'd give a big YES to the idea of not doing more long-distance rides in nylon shorts. Not to get too anatomical/personal, but I'd be worrying about my own hide's scuffs, not the saddle. But I'm biased from having to prove I was a serious cyclist back in the late-'70s by wearing real bike shorts, when a Brooks Pro was standard equipment.

For shorter rides in nylon shorts, and for longer rides in bad weather _wearing actual bike shorts_, a cover is a good idea. Doesn't feel as nice as no cover and actual bike shorts, but should minimize saddle damage. For wet weather either a rear fender or making sure your cover protects the saddle underside is a good idea.

Might be worth saying that in some circles, a pair of non-cycling shorts/slacks with a Brooks ass-stain is a mark of honor. So there's that.
Old 11-13-20, 03:49 PM
WGB 
WGB

Thanks all.

I first applied some Kiwi boot polish and then gently rubbed that in. Followed up with Proofide as it was on hand. I'll do the underside next, then I'll bring it next week to a proper shoe repair place and show them the issue and see if they can help. If not I might have to ask for help with that PDX stuff. I'll order some covers as well.
Old 11-13-20, 08:04 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Kiwi neutral shoe polish also works great and those scuffs will disappear. Polish those rivets with Simichrome after you've applied the shoe wax. I've used a Brooks cover on all day rain ride and didn't notice it was there. Which makes me question what magical properties a leather saddle has if the addition of a nylon cover makes no difference.

My current saddle is 13 years old and looks better than other rider's saddles with 1/4 the mileage.
Old 11-13-20, 10:44 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Well I didn't list my salve, it has silicone and comes from world famous Langlitz Leathers, custom makers here in water logged PDX since the 40's so ymmv.

I do use it sparingly but treat in and out, old, new and all in between, no adverse effects in ten years and has at least partially healed some very fragile looking and seeming ones.

I have at least a dozen and they are all just fine IMO.
'Rode a BMW R100S for years in a full set of made-for-me Langlitz Leathers. I've never been fitted for a suit as well as I was for this riding gear. When I was done with motorcycles, Langlitz sold them for me for more than I paid for them!

Dean
Old 11-14-20, 12:46 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Dean51
'Rode a BMW R100S for years in a full set of made-for-me Langlitz Leathers. I've never been fitted for a suit as well as I was for this riding gear. When I was done with motorcycles, Langlitz sold them for me for more than I paid for them!

Dean
My first Langlitz was an unclaimed one that someone had made and never picked up, medium weight dk. brown plain Cascade with pleats on the back and plain straight zip up the front.

Fit like a glove, went down at the dragstrip, slid about 700 ft. on my back, major rash, no burn through, could not tell a thing from the front.

Paid $175 for it, sold on efbay for $225 + ship after the slide.

Had a new one made then, can't imagine having one made now.