Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 08-22-21, 08:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Bright - But the most annoying & disappointing thing about the movie wasn't the plot, it was the fact that Will Smith's character (he plays the gristled urban detective) is the Exact. Same. Character. he's played in ~40% of the movies he's ever been in.

I agree 110% on that. Will plays Will. Much like Sam Elliot and Denzel Washington. They just play themselves and in many cases it just works.
Old 08-22-21, 09:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I agree 110% on that. Will plays Will. Much like Sam Elliot and Denzel Washington. They just play themselves and in many cases it just works.
The thing is, all of those guys have demonstrated -- at least once -- that they're capable of playing outside of that typecast. And so you have to wonder how much of the trend is due to screenwriters saying "ooh, I know how to write for Will/Sam/Denzel!" and handing them scripts that they instantly recognize can be phoned in, versus the actors taking the easy way out and only accepting roles that don't force them to stretch their repertoire.
Old 08-22-21, 09:50 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, CAADX, Verenti Technique, Giant TCR SL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 52 Posts

"A Quiet Place Part Two" (2020) starring Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe.

A tense and taut sci-fi thriller with blind aliens (blessed with super hearing) invading earth and almost wiping out the human race except for a select few who live in a world of silence. Loads of jump scares in this excellent sequel to the 2018 film and, once again, great performances from Emily Blunt and young Millicent Simmonds. 8/10

Last edited by Welshboy; 09-15-21 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-22-21, 10:22 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, CAADX, Verenti Technique, Giant TCR SL2

'Psycho 2' (1983) starring Anthony Perkins, Meg Tilly and Vera Miles.

Another sequel but to a classic that surely needs no introduction... and don't call me Shirley. After 22 years in a mental institution Norman Bates is released and returns to the Bates Motel and is soon befriended by young co-worker Mary who is in the shower before you can say "don't go in there sweetie". Anyway, people start getting bumped off but is it by Norman or is he being set-up? If ever a film didn't need a sequel it was 'Psycho' but this is a clever, twisty follow-up to Hitchcock's masterpiece. We were keen to see it after binge-watching 'Bates Motel' and watching the original 'Psycho' last weekend. My daughter (27 and who had never seen 'Psycho') loved both films. 8/10.

BTW if you work with young co-workers ask them if they've seen 'Psycho'. I bet the vast majority haven't.

Last edited by Welshboy; 09-15-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 02:59 AM
gretti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Suicide Squad 9/10
Old 08-25-21, 08:27 AM
heatnikki

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I really liked Arrival, quite emotionally charged and the time concept elements messed with my head, in a good and engaging way.
Likes For heatnikki:
Old 08-27-21, 06:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Originally Posted by heatnikki View Post
I really liked Arrival, quite emotionally charged and the time concept elements messed with my head, in a good and engaging way.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that movie, particularly because it handled the whole sci-fi cliché of Aliens From Outer Space With Advanced Technology/Consciousness Arrive On Earth in a way that was most decidedly not a cliché. I especially liked how the aliens were not humanoid bipeds, and were not hellbent on destroying Earth, and how the problem-solving centered more on linguistics and social skills than on technology or weapons. Compelling performances from Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Forest Whitaker too. 9.5/10
Old 08-27-21, 06:21 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

The missus and I just saw Cloud Atlas for the first time. I was fully expecting not to like it...or not to understand it...based on reviews I'd read when it was first released. But it was quite engaging, and mercifully imaginative, and inexplicably did quite well in managing six separate timelines without being difficult to follow. I'm not sure any of the performances were particularly stellar, but the makeup artists certainly deserved an Oscar! 7.5/10
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 08-27-21, 07:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Feels sort of funny to post about the Bob Ross show after Bob Ross just posted....lol

Bob Ross Happy Accidents Betrayal and Greed

I honestly don't know what to think of this documentary. It was good in a lot of ways, and every aspect of it seemed to only have a sparkling telling of Bob, as a person. I enjoyed that they honored his memory so much. It appears that (at least in this light) he really WAS the person that he always seemed to be. There were some concerning facts about how many people wouldn't do the show and a specific family of the original partnership were made out to be the big bad evil. Seems to be a pattern for the Netflix flavor of "docuvideo". They love to paint this story and then we find later on GIANT gaping holes in the story they tell.

I don't know. I have watched Bob for years. I don't personally paint, but my wife and son do. I would say that as a great tool for going to sleep to (I find his voice better than Valium) this show for years led to my wife opting to strike out and try painting, even if in another medium. I would say that anyone that has watched him a lot could not go away unchanged. This is a strong aspect of the positives of this movie and enjoyed the telling in spite of some possibly dubious stuff.

I don't typically rate this manner of thing, but I would recommend it as worth seeing.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-29-21, 09:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Moneyball 2011-
This is a movie about Billy Beane and the Oakland A's astounding season in 2002 by unorthodox means. It is an astounding movie. Good on so many levels. I am not a big baseball fan and yet, this movie was very interesting and captivating.
9.5/10
Old 08-30-21, 10:26 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

I just posted this over on another forum I frequent:

The missus and I sat through Magellan last night, Rob York's 2017 sci-fi outer space movie that must've been inspired by watching Christopher Nolan's Interstellar while half asleep. Or three-quarters asleep.

Where to begin? None of the characters inspired empathy, half of them (the earthbound NASA project manager, and the Secretary of Defense) could barely act their way out of a high school drama club production, and while the plot came tantilizingly close to addressing provocative issues, the decision-making skills [sic] of the lead character and his two computer AI companions was so fraught with inconsistancy and/or idiocy that it completely ceased to be plausible. You wound up hating everyone and everything that happened.

3/10
Old 08-30-21, 10:39 AM
heatnikki

Baby Driver - 8/10
Old 08-30-21, 11:57 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Europa Report 2013-

It seemed to have all the right pieces. It copied a lot of it's shooting style from Space Odyssey with the cameras showing areas inside and outside the space craft. It attempted to build up the storyline with multiplex views of things that were yet to happen within the movie. It didn't work and it never delivered. It seemed much like either an original director or writer for the screen play got canned and they just took what they had on the cutting room floor and ran with it. There were several glaring discrepancies that were never explained. Obviously the people that made the movie didn't bother to watch for continuity. It kept seeming like it was going to be good, get there, scare me, something...and just never did. The movie wasn't obviously bad from the get go which is why I continued to watch at a rating that I would never consider finishing. Poor story, poor telling, not worth your time.
4/10
Old 09-05-21, 12:24 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 208 Posts
The Rental - 6/10. Meh. Kind of your standard fare 'alone for the weekend killer' movie. I couldn't get in to the characters and never really felt any pang of emotion when bad things befell them.

Baby Driver - 8/10. Great action scenes. Quick moving plot. Well cast characters. All in all very enjoyable. Plus a killer soundtrack.

Creation Stories - 7/10. If you've ever heard of the band Oasis, you have Alan McGee to thank. This movie is all about Creation Records, the independent record label he started and managed. If you like indie music, this is the movie for you.
Old 09-10-21, 02:56 PM
kaseyriot

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Craft 10/10
but I watch it like every month
Old 09-11-21, 09:45 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
The missus and I just saw Cloud Atlas for the first time. I was fully expecting not to like it...or not to understand it...based on reviews I'd read when it was first released. But it was quite engaging, and mercifully imaginative, and inexplicably did quite well in managing six separate timelines without being difficult to follow. I'm not sure any of the performances were particularly stellar, but the makeup artists certainly deserved an Oscar! 7.5/10
I was totally unaware of this film until I saw your post. I liked it, my daughter liked it and my wife absolutely loved it! Thanks!
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 09-12-21, 08:13 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close' (2011) starring Thomas Horn, Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and Max Von Sydow.

Saturday night is always film night in our house and yesterday was, of course, the 20th anniversary of... well, you know what. So last night we watched this for only the second time and it left quite an impact on us. Thomas Horn plays Oskar, a troubled young boy with Asperger's who is trying to make sense of the death of his father (Hanks) who was killed when the North Tower of the WTC collapsed. Scenes shown in flashback show Oskar and his father having a warm relationship with his father setting him quite intellectual challenges. But in the present day (in the film this is 2002) things are not so good between Oskar and his mother (Bullock) and, indeed, Oskar and the wider world. Oskar finds a mysterious key inside a blue vase amongst his father's belongings and believing it to be a puzzle set by his father Oskar starts a detailed and methodical scavenger hunt to find the matching lock. Oskar and his mother seemingly become even more estranged as he continues to try to solve the mystery of the key and the truth about the hidden lock that it fits. Criticized by many as being 'oscar bait' (I hate that term) I found it bittersweet, tender, extremely absorbing and incredibly uplifting. 9/10.

Last edited by Welshboy; 09-15-21 at 10:13 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-12-21, 02:21 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 208 Posts
Ex Machina - 8/10. Reclusive tech titan creates an AI and an outside third party is brought in to apply the Turing Test. Without giving too much away, I found the story interesting and the casting great. If you like sci-fi type movies that might not be too far off in the future, give this movie a chance.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 09-13-21, 07:39 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

"Dallas Buyers Club" - Compelling narrative, engaging performances by Matthew McConnaughey and Jared Leto, but -- despite being based on a true story -- there were a few too many moments that simply strained plausibility. 6/10
Old 09-13-21, 07:40 AM
heatnikki

I watched Kate last night, it was pretty good, the fight scenes were well done, the gunplay was a little ropey and MEW was pretty good throughout. Unfortunately, although i did enjoy it, i found that the premise didnt really grip me that much knowing how eventually it was going to end 8/10
Old 09-13-21, 01:00 PM
Clyde1820

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
Wrinkles (2011) -- An animated film about an old folks' home where most of the patients are experiencing dementia or Alzheimer's. Exceptional film. All the conversations are between the patients, themselves, along with a couple of the docs and orderlies at the facility. Well worth seeing. 8/10.

Old 09-16-21, 06:46 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

The Ox-Bow Incident - 1943 Western starring Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, and Harry Morgan. I must confess, I have mixed feelings about the way movies were written ~80 years ago... On the one hand, they're very direct: You know exactly what is happening and what characters are thinking, there's little mystery or ambiguity, it's easy to understand all the dialog, and the viewer is rarely if ever confused about what we're supposed to be feeling.
On the other hand, that directness often comes across as overt simplicity, with little room for depth or embedded moral conflict. Or reality, for that matter.
This film is no different.
...and yet it was certainly engaging, because despite being the story of a posse of cowboys hellbent on lynching some suspected rustlers, it's almost entirely a character drama, all talk/little action.
I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. 6/10
Old 09-17-21, 11:13 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
Ex Machina - 8/10. Reclusive tech titan creates an AI and an outside third party is brought in to apply the Turing Test. Without giving too much away, I found the story interesting and the casting great. If you like sci-fi type movies that might not be too far off in the future, give this movie a chance.
This movie was a cool twist in a twist with another twist. I was very entertained by it.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-17-21, 11:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by heatnikki View Post
I watched Kate last night, it was pretty good, the fight scenes were well done, the gunplay was a little ropey and MEW was pretty good throughout. Unfortunately, although i did enjoy it, i found that the premise didnt really grip me that much knowing how eventually it was going to end 8/10
I would put that movie as a 'watchable due to the action'. I have serious issue with premise that cannot be explained, and they tried hard with this one, early on. It just kept getting more and more ridiculous. I watched to the end but am rating high on a 5.