Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Old 07-31-21, 07:42 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Ok, I looked at all the formats in the first post, cannot see where this serial from a Fiori Modena fits:

SH621192
Old 08-01-21, 02:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Ok, I looked at all the formats in the first post, cannot see where this serial from a Fiori Modena fits:

SH621192
It could be format S(3), which would make it August 1986. That's in the grey region where it could be either a 1986 or 1987 model. Please post photos. TIA.
Old 08-14-21, 07:21 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Hey T-Mar! I just got a Huffy Touriste folding bike that I think is a rebranded Sekai folder. The serial number is S1F93356. What year and make would you guess?

Opposite side by my apartment

Endpoint on the Capital Crescent Trail
Old 08-16-21, 03:10 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by molleraj
Hey T-Mar! I just got a Huffy Touriste folding bike that I think is a rebranded Sekai folder. The serial number is S1F93356. What year and make would you guess?
I've seen photos of maybe a handful of these. They all appear to be identical, suggesting a relatively short production life. Most owners state that they are from the 1970s. If so, it would be late 1970s, as they all had four way reflector systems, which were very rare in the early 1970s. Also, the cotterless crankset appears to be a Sugino Idol, which wasn't available until the late 1970s.

I've seen the serial number format on a number of brands, including Nishiki, Sekai and Shogun. It seems to be most common on the latter. However, it does not indicate Shogun or any other bicycle brand but appears to be that of an unidentified contract manufacturer. It was probably their standard folding bicycle frame design, which they then branded with the client's name.

Based on the other bicycles with this format, the subject folder was built during a year ending in "1". It would not appear to be 1971, so 1981 is an obvious choice. The other possibility is Showa year 51 of the Japanese Imperial Calendar, which corresponds to 1976. That might fit but most Japanese manufacturers discontinued this practice by the end of the bicycle boom.

Normally, at this stage, I would have you check some component date codes for corroboration. Typically, Sugino was good about date codes on their cranksets but the majority of Idol that I've seen have curiously lacked them. Still, it's worth checking the back of the arms. Sugino used multiple codes, so it's probably just best to submit good quality photos of the back of the crankarms. If it's 1976+ there should also be a two character, alpha date code on the Shimano rear hub, though I'm not sure exactly where Shimano stamped the date codes on their three speed, internally geared hubs.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-16-21 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 06:10 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I've seen photos of maybe a handful of these. They all appear to be identical, suggesting a relatively short production life. Most owners state that they are from the 1970s. If so, it would be late 1970s, as they all had four way reflector systems, which were very rare in the early 1970s. Also, the cotterless crankset appears to be a Sugino Idol, which wasn't available until the late 1970s.

I've seen the serial number format on a number of brands, including Nishiki, Sekai and Shogun. It seems to be most common on the latter. However, it does not indicate Shogun or any other bicycle brand but appears to be that of an unidentified contract manufacturer. It was probably their standard folding bicycle frame design, which they then branded with the client's name.

Based on the other bicycles with this format, the subject folder was built during a year ending in "1". It would not appear to be 1971, so 1981 is an obvious choice. The other possibility is Showa year 51 of the Japanese Imperial Calendar, which corresponds to 1976. That might fit but most Japanese manufacturers discontinued this practice by the end of the bicycle boom.

Normally, at this stage, I would have you check some component date codes for corroboration. Typically, Sugino was good about date codes on their cranksets but the majority of Idol that I've seen have curiously lacked them. Still, it's worth checking the back of the arms. Sugino used multiple codes, so it's probably just best to submit good quality photos of the back of the crankarms. If it's 1976+ there should also be a two character, alpha date code on the Shimano rear hub, though I'm not sure exactly where Shimano stamped the date codes on their three speed, internally geared hubs.
Great to know. Thanks for all this detail!

Yes, I will get photos of the backs of the Sugino crank arms. I will also look for a date code on the Shimano 3S hub.
Old 08-17-21, 06:36 PM
molleraj

OK, we have codes and pictures now! 2 and 150 on the Sugino Idol cranks, FB (1981 February?) on the 3S hub, and 5353 FK on the front hub. Probably a 1981 or 1982 model?

Front hub, 5353FK

Sugino Idol crank, 2 150

Rear 3S hub, FB
Old 08-18-21, 07:10 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by molleraj
OK, we have codes and pictures now! 2 and 150 on the Sugino Idol cranks, FB (1981 February?) on the 3S hub, and 5353 FK on the front hub. Probably a 1981 or 1982 model?
Thank-you for the additional photographs. Based on other Idol crankarms that I've seen, the "2" is the mould/cavity number and not a date code. However, those are February 1981 and November 1981 date codes on the hubs, which fits with the original 1981 interpretation of the serial number. However, November is so late in the calendar year that it should be a 1982 model year bicycle.
Old 08-28-21, 10:02 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Chuckk
I wonder who made this 2003 Marin Portofino. Shaped Columbus Thron tubing with Cinelli bars and stem.
I have a 2000 Argenta with Columbus tubes, and it was built by Billato. But this has a Taiwan sticker.
Had a Columbus Kona a while ago, and the serial number was clearly Hodaka. This isn't
Any thoughts? # 0903GS0043
Sorry, this is the 1st time I've seen this particular format, so I don't know the name of the manufacturer. However, a Taiwanese manufactured bicycle with Columbus tubing doesn't surprise me. KHS and Pacific Cycles were both building with Columbus tubesets, as early as the late 1980s.
Old 09-06-21, 07:18 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 69 Posts
Mystery bike with a mess of parts. Serial number is N4582. Shimano crane rear d. Lots of SR and campy bits.

Old 09-08-21, 07:36 PM
jtyr71 

Bikes: ROAD: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, 1974 Kabuki Diamond Tourer, 1978 Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I caught a unicorn:

1974 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Tourer Serial

1974 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Tourer

It's in pristine shape, by the chain and the still golden freewheel saw very few miles. A rare bike by any standard in a color never sighted before.

I'll post more info and extensive photos to an existing thread dedicated to this bike: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...urer-info.html

Most everything jives with this 1974 US catalog: https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64376fc350.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...877140ebed.jpg
--though interestingly the fork crown with two points does NOT match the three point crown shown in the US catalog. (Though that is true of all 1974 Diamond Tourers I've seen in the US.)

Even more interesting the color and fork crown match this DF Diamond model in the 1974 Japanese catalog: The catalogs of Japanese vintage bicycle
Old 09-09-21, 05:29 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jtyr71
I caught a unicorn:

1974 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Tourer Serial

1974 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Tourer

It's in pristine shape, by the chain and the still golden freewheel saw very few miles. A rare bike by any standard in a color never sighted before.

I'll post more info and extensive photos to an existing thread dedicated to this bike: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...urer-info.html

Most everything jives with this 1974 US catalog: https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64376fc350.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...877140ebed.jpg
--though interestingly the fork crown with two points does NOT match the three point crown shown in the US catalog. (Though that is true of all 1974 Diamond Tourers I've seen in the US.)

Even more interesting the color and fork crown match this DF Diamond model in the 1974 Japanese catalog: The catalogs of Japanese vintage bicycle
Based on the serial number, it is a 1974 model.
Old 09-09-21, 05:51 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
Mystery bike with a mess of parts. Serial number is N4582. Shimano crane rear d. Lots of SR and campy bits.
It's obviously been extensivelt rebuilt and appears to be a repaint. Given the serial number and frame features, my leading candidate would be a late 1970s Centurion product, possibly a Super LeMans.
Old 09-09-21, 08:11 PM
salim.martak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need help identifying repainted bike

so i got this old RB in 2010 with original paint already removed and i repainted it years ago, with some scratch and rust i think its time to get repaint, this time i want to restore the paint and decals to looks original

please help me identify my old bike, i've using n loving it for 11 years and want to make it looks like new again

serial number : 30300113 (CMIIW)

here some photos:
Old 09-09-21, 09:20 PM
salim.martak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why i cant atttach some photo? i'm new here, can anybody help me?
Old 09-10-21, 06:33 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by salim.martak
why i cant atttach some photo? i'm new here, can anybody help me?
You need to have 10 posts to be able to attach photos as a means to keep spammers out. IF you upload pictures to your gallery here, others might be able to find it and post them for you.
Old 09-11-21, 05:27 PM
salim.martak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thnks for the help, how to upload picture to galery?
Old 09-13-21, 07:07 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by salim.martak
Need help identifying repainted bike

so i got this old RB in 2010 with original paint already removed and i repainted it years ago, with some scratch and rust i think its time to get repaint, this time i want to restore the paint and decals to looks original

please help me identify my old bike, i've using n loving it for 11 years and want to make it looks like new again

serial number : 30300113 (CMIIW)

here some photos:
Identification is complicated by these facts:

1. You live in Indonesia and most members are North American based.
2. The frame has been repainted.
3. The components are a mix of level and eras.

Regardless, it is an entry level frame with low end components. The frame could range from 1960s into the early 1980s, Based on the serial number format, one possible candidate is KHS of Taiwan, though this could be coincidence. Even then, it could be have been contract manufactured for some Asian brand that is obscure to North American members. Assuming it is KHS manufacture, it was built in March of some year ending in a "3". I'm not seeing any 1970s parts on the bicycle but the shift levers and front derailleur are era and level approriate for this being a 1983 frame.

Photo gallery: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/544648

Selective photo assist;
Old 09-20-21, 07:35 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Another Newbie Here.......

with a headscratcher for T-Mar.

I have what appears to be an early 70's 10 speed bike definitely made in Japan as per the head badge.

It was made for Macleod's, a chain of small town hardware stores in western Canada in the 50's

through to the late 80's or so. Think of a small-scale Ace Hardware or maybe a Peavey Mart.

Macleod's sold everything from barbed wire to bicycles in small agricultural towns so they

had to have a fairly eclectic mix of products. Their bike brand was Hiawatha and was NOT

connected with the Hiawatha brand sold in the US. This bike was purchased new by a member

of my wife's family, ridden for about 3 years or so and then hung up in a barn. The area where

the family farm is has high humidity in the summer so there were a lot of rusty parts and and

scratches in the paint were rusty too.

I'll be putting some pics into my "album" until I can post them directly into posts.

The bike has a "dog's breakfast" of components on with Alps steel bars, a no-name steel stem,

Cherry side pull caliper brakes front and rear with Cherry lever assemblies, and a very nice Taihei Unite/Matex saddle.

The ders are both Shimano with a Thunder Bird (NOT Thunderbird, thank you ) up front and

an Eagle out back. The front chain guard is stamped Sugino....but the crank arms are Sakae Ringgyo (SR)

and are marked "Grand Silver Chainwheel" !!! So I guess the chainwheels are made by SR, too. The freewheel

is an early Shimano 5 cog unit that is marked "Shimano Free Wheel 333 Japan". All the cable casings are also

are stamped in red ink with the "333" Shimano logo. The rims are Ukai 27 x 1 1/4 but the front 3 piece chrome steel hub

is not marked. The rear hub is stamped with the Shimano "333" logo but, strangely, not the name.

The serial number is S212A357and the closest match in T-Mar's list SEEMS to be a Sanki.....but I could be all wet

in my deduction. Any help would be greatly appreciated with at least a model year if not the manufacturer.

OK, some pics are up in my album for those interested.

BTW, I stripped the old boy right down to the bare frame and started cleaning and sourcing parts for stuff
too badly rusted/corroded to save. In fact, I had to replace 15 spokes in the rear wheel that were too badly
rusted to trust !!! Amazingly, I found most of what I needed locally from various sources which was a pleasant
surprise considering that bits and bobs for a 50 year old Japanese bike are not easily come by from ANY
source.

Last edited by H2Rick; 09-20-21 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added some general info
Old 09-21-21, 07:17 AM
T-Mar

Actually, I have prior knowledge of both Macleod's and their Hiawatha house brand. The company's origins date to 1917, when Roland M. Macleod established a Winnipeg based, mail order farm supply business, known as Macleod's Limited. Circa 1928, an additional warehouse location was established in Saskatoon with the company adding retail operations at both locations. In 1930, the first strictly retail store was established in Melfort, Sakatchewan. More retail stores followed with the company diversifying into hardware and building supplies. By 1945 the company had 27 stores, In 1948 they started a franchise program, quickly expanding to a peak of 220 stores in 1964, of which 143 were franchises. Store locations ranged from Fort Williams, Ontario, to Prince George, British Columbia.

The Hiawatha house brand was created in 1946, with the first product being bicycles. Extant samples of early, post war Hiawatha bicycles indicate CCM as a source.

It's ironic that you mention Ace Hardware as a example, as a series of corpoarate acquistions eventually resulted in the Macleod's stores becoming Tru Value then Ace Hardware.

I'm not sure how to interpret the serial number format or who manufactured the bicycle. The bicycle itself looks early 1970s boom era. By 1975 wing nuts had largely disappeared and entry level models like this were typically using stem mounting for the shift levers in place of down tube mounting seen on your bicycle. This would be too early for the Shimano components to have date codes. However, there may be some date codes on the back of the crank arms, which may at least help narrow the year range and provide a clue on how to interpret the serial number format.

Edit: I forgot to provive a link to the gallery album https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/545044
Also, here's a photo assist for the overall photo. In the future, please take the overall photo from ther drive side, so that the drivetrain components are visible.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-21-21 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 11:49 AM
Hareeb_Alzak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need help identifying the year of a maruishi rx-4

I looked at the guide but my bike only has 6 numbers and no starting letter. The serial number is 740545. It is black with grey decals, suntour head tube friction shifters, shimano cranks (just says shimano) and rd. It is says made in Japan and has a CroMo sticker. I can't post a picture since on new

I got the bike for free on fb marketplace and the owner wasnt sure what year it was. It had lots of dirt and rust on the components so i figured it was junk but I took it as a future project bike. It sat in my yard for another month or so until I finally decided to clean it up. After cleaning the bike looked pretty nice and most of the rust easily came off after being brushed with a steel brush. I was really impressed my how it looked and decided to fully restore it.
Old 09-21-21, 09:43 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
T-Mar:
Many thanks for the thumbnail history of Macleod's stores and your efforts
to fill in the history on my Hiawatha. I realize it's not a very desirable/exotic bike
but it's an unusual colour IME, it came from my wife's family, it has
a connection to the Canadian Prairies where I was born and raised......
and it fits me to a tee. So, IMO, it's a winner all round.
I foolishly selected the wrong pic of the bike for my album
so I'll put up a pic of the drive side. I'll also see if i can make out any
stamped or cast numbers/letters on the inside of the crank arm(s)
and report back on that effort.
Again, many thanks.

Alrighty, the drive side pic is now in my album.

Last edited by H2Rick; 09-21-21 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added info on new pic
Old 09-22-21, 08:52 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Hareeb_Alzak
I looked at the guide but my bike only has 6 numbers and no starting letter. The serial number is 740545. It is black with grey decals, suntour head tube friction shifters, shimano cranks (just says shimano) and rd. It is says made in Japan and has a CroMo sticker. I can't post a picture since on new

I got the bike for free on fb marketplace and the owner wasnt sure what year it was. It had lots of dirt and rust on the components so i figured it was junk but I took it as a future project bike. It sat in my yard for another month or so until I finally decided to clean it up. After cleaning the bike looked pretty nice and most of the rust easily came off after being brushed with a steel brush. I was really impressed my how it looked and decided to fully restore it.
That is not a typical Maruishi serial number format. Either some characters are missing or the bicycle was contract manufactured for Maruishi. The latter was fairly common on lower end models. The combinationation of Shimano and SunTour components suggests that it has been at least partially rebuilt, which complicates matters. Still, the model designation suggests mid to late 1980s. This is a case where photos may help. Ignore the 10 post warning. Photos will be uploaded to a gallery album where members can view them.
Old 09-22-21, 12:06 PM
Hareeb_Alzak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is not a typical Maruishi serial number format. Either some characters are missing or the bicycle was contract manufactured for Maruishi. The latter was fairly common on lower end models. The combinationation of Shimano and SunTour components suggests that it has been at least partially rebuilt, which complicates matters. Still, the model designation suggests mid to late 1980s. This is a case where photos may help. Ignore the 10 post warning. Photos will be uploaded to a gallery album where members can view them.
Ok, I just posted some pictures in the gallery. Sorry for the half disassembled bike as I just ordered some new parts. Ignore the cheap crank and chainrings (the bike didn't come with any so I pulled them from a Walmart bike I had lying around). The derailleur pictured was the one that came on the bike when I bought it but it was broken so I replaced it. I was mistaken when I said it had Shimano cranks (it has "custom" ones) also it has a Shimano fd. Thanks
Old 09-22-21, 03:41 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Here you go,T-Mar. Dorado Sherpa with chainstay rollercam. M7B010662
I'm thinking '86-'87?
Old 09-23-21, 05:28 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Hareeb_Alzak
Ok, I just posted some pictures in the gallery. Sorry for the half disassembled bike as I just ordered some new parts. Ignore the cheap crank and chainrings (the bike didn't come with any so I pulled them from a Walmart bike I had lying around). The derailleur pictured was the one that came on the bike when I bought it but it was broken so I replaced it. I was mistaken when I said it had Shimano cranks (it has "custom" ones) also it has a Shimano fd. Thanks
Thank-you for the photos. Based on the style of Maruishi logo, it is post 1985. Based on that, in conjuntion with the serial number, it'd be leaning towards 1987.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.