Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

thoughts on Eurobike XC7000?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

thoughts on Eurobike XC7000?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 11:14 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
To OP - I get that looks matter. I have a bike that I bought in no small part because I loved the looks -- but that bike was also from a reputable company with full Ultregra that I bought in person.

The point people are making is that this bike will not be enjoyable to ride not just because of the weight, but also because that mix of parts is very difficult to keep working. That GCN video is more about the parts than the frame; the parts are going to be of similar quality. Those guys know what they are doing and, whatever else people think of GCN, have done a number of project bikes / mechanical restorations.

We had a bike similar to this for my son when he wanted to do his first triathlon. It was a different label on the downtube, but same principal (we got it because it was a smaller frame). The parts were a mix of Shimano tourney and no-name stuff (just like this bike). Getting it to shift smoothly was possible, but it would not stay smooth for more than one ride. The brakes were simply horrible.

If you are intending to ride this bike more than a few miles a week, don't get it. If you are buying it with the intention of upgrading all the parts, your money would be much better spent elsewhere, including used.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 04-12-21, 12:33 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You wont have that 'cool' chunky seatpost style, and instead will have an easily serviceable round seat post.
This, exactly. The Eurobike seatpost might be some sort of proprietary item and with my luck, I'd buy one and find out the hard way I couldn't even swap saddles on it, or some such nonsense.

I seem to remember watching a Eurobike unboxing and assembly video a few months ago. I was disappointed to see it doesn't even have a quick-release; instead it just has regular nutted axles. Like a Walmart bike with more decals.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-12-21, 01:14 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
OP, I say go for it. However, It maybe a better idea to just buy one. That way if you find that it isn't up to your standards, you only have to worry about returning one item.

You are going to be the only one to determine if it is worth it.
Likes For faulker479:
Old 04-12-21, 01:47 PM
Reflector Guy

I was checking out the Eurobike on Amazon and came across this gem.... The "Mr. Tool" mountain bike:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tool-Alumi...-items&sr=1-16

I don't know what the "KSDA" decals mean though.
Old 04-12-21, 02:05 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,179 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I was checking out the Eurobike on Amazon and came across this gem.... The "Mr. Tool" mountain bike:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tool-Alumi...-items&sr=1-16

I don't know what the "KSDA" decals mean though.

I don’t know if they know what “ksda” means.
Old 04-12-21, 02:25 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Motopokep:
sounds like you have two riders who will be riding a very few miles, and one who may or may not ride more. You state that you like the Eurobike XC7000 because it looks the way you think a bicycle should. No doubt you have read a lot of negativity toward it here on this forum. If you like it because it has an elliptical seat post and deep cross section wheels, no matter the actual quality, please recognize what you are buying.

I looked at this thing on Amazon and I see a listed weight of 36.5 pounds, which is a lot more than my fat tire bike. I also see a bike which is available in small and medium. I doubt that a 5'11" person will be a whole lot happier with a 54 cm bike than with a small BMX bike. Making sure that these bikes fit the intended rider is important. These folks have an online fit calculator https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp that will help you. And if they say you want a 56 cm, that small difference will be a big difference.

Beyond that, there are a couple of levels you might consider. Bikes Direct (https://www.bikesdirect.com/) has some OK entry level bikes; much better than the one you posted. If you are going to buy a Shimano 105 derailleur anyway, why not buy a bike that has one to start. They are low on inventory so you might have to wait a bit before you get a bike from them.

I have been very happy with the fat tire frame I bought from ICAN bicycles. They are Chinese and sell good carbon frames and wheels. If you are going to buy the Eurocycle and put $1000 carbon wheels on it, you still have a pig with lipstick. Look at the bikes ICAN or one of the other better Chinese carbon manufacturers like Dengfu or Trifox sells.

Also, a crappy aluminum frame can break just as easily as a crappy carbon fiber frame. I own steel, Ti, and carbon bikes. My wife's grocery getter is aluminum. All except the fat tire bike use aluminum wheels. Material is immaterial.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-12-21, 02:30 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Heck, I'd buy the one pictured in the first post for $400! I looked on Amazon and there were none available. Probably not in my size anyway. But I do love that it comes with "fashion rims".
Old 04-12-21, 03:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I was going to waste my energy by writing a more detailed response to this ongoing saga, but something was nagging me about why no rationale was getting through to the OP.

Then I realized what it was.

It'd be too easy to just say the OP is trolling; instead just consider the topics OP has posted and compare them to the other threads here on the 41. Then it becomes clear that what OP thinks a road bike should be is faaaaar different from what the collective road cyclists on Bike Forums think. I mean, getting a road bike for his son who will mostly ride a few blocks, and on the sidewalk? Even the kind of riding OP plans to do, the details of which have never been elucidated, I suspect wouldn't even be considered worth getting kitted up for by most of us. With that perspective in mind, the fact that a BSO (which the rest of us wouldn't even want to share the road with, for fear of its questionable quality and skepticism of its rider's competency) is the winner of OP's simplistic bike choice rubric.

The only thing I have left to say is that choosing a crap bike will unlikely lead to one getting more into cycling without further significant investment, whereas the opposite is often the case with good bikes that bring joy and motivation. The idea of not committing much for a bike is self-defeating, but it's quite common and there is no guarantee that a better bike won't end up being neglected either, only less likely.

And with that, I am done with this.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-12-21, 03:40 PM
motopokep
Banned

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 04:00 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
1900CC Motorcycle!!! You should just go for this. (No carbon fiber, too!)

Old 04-12-21, 04:03 PM
motopokep
Banned

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 04:05 PM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
1900CC Motorcycle!!! You should just go for this. (No carbon fiber, too!)

Jack, Google "2009 Yamaha Raider". it's 1,854 cc's. Very powerful, and yes, good looking, as all my cars and bikes are, after I mod them
Old 04-12-21, 04:15 PM
motopokep
Banned

DangerousDan, as far as the 54 inch being too small for a 5'11" rider, I think it's generally accepted that a 54 inch will fit nicely a person up to 6'0. I could probably be comfortable on a 56 inch, but a 54 inch will be more maneuverable I've read.
Old 04-12-21, 04:24 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Motopokep:
I may be the only person responding who has had carbon fail under them and I have absolutely no fear of carbon. I have carbon cranks on my road bikes and tandem with no issues. You are going to spend money on tires, wheels, and maybe derailleurs for what? To get a white frame? That may not fit the intended rider? Because you are afraid of carbon fiber?

I get the budget, so get cheap bikes for son and dad who will ride a couple miles a day, but if you have any plans to actually ride, look a little higher up on the food chain.

The $1700 ICAN bike is carbon (yes, a positive attribute), has Shimano 105 group set, decent tires and wheels. It weighs about half as much as the 36.5 pound Eurobike.

And, sorry to say it, but you bought a Celica and a Nova, not a Yugo or a Reliant Robin. That bike is much closer to a Reliant. The ICAN might be comparable to a Celica.

-Dan

PS, I once responded to an M3 that had been rolled and there was carbon fiber all over the highway.
Old 04-12-21, 07:22 PM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by motopokep
DangerousDan, just to clarify, Amazon has this bike's weight way off. Actual stock weight is 28lbs, as listed on manufacturer's website and is in the review section on Amazon, and I saw a video of a guy weighing the bike showing the scale readout. 28 is a lot for a road bike, but with replacement parts, I'll get it down to 24 hopefully.
That's a lot of weight to drop. What are you going to do, replace everything with carbon? Carbon seatposts and handlebars and forks and stems will quickly add up to lots of money and won't remove more than a pound or so maximum. You could replace that triple chainring with a single and then you're stuck with a 7-speed bike that won't do very much on the fast or slow ends depending on what chainring you put on there. If there were a suspension fork on there, I'd say get rid of it, but there isn't.

By the way, the Eurobike in the GCN video weighed 34 pounds. A heavy bike.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-12-21, 11:15 PM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
....By the way, the Eurobike in the GCN video weighed 34 pounds. A heavy bike.

GCN reviewd XC550, a steel bike. XC7000 weighs 28lbs. .....I"m still thinking and looking at other bikes. ICAN is nice.
Old 04-13-21, 03:19 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
this bike is trash. do better.

*EDIT Even better

Last edited by growlerdinky; 04-13-21 at 03:21 PM. Reason: pay attention to the thread. stay on topic.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 04-13-21, 06:47 PM
motopokep
Banned

“There are people who laugh at the horse that would not dare to laugh at the master.” - D'Artagnan, from "The Three Musketeers", by Alexandre Dumas, 1844
Old 04-13-21, 07:37 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,179 Times in 2,222 Posts
DangerousDan, as far as the 54 inch being too small for a 5'11" rider, I think it's generally accepted that a 54 inch will fit nicely a person up to 6'0. I could probably be comfortable on a 56 inch, but a 54 inch will be more maneuverable I've read.

I am 511 and have owned two 54 cm road bikes. Both were too small. If you are 511, I highly recommend you do not buy a 54.

Also, I started on a bike very similiar to this, and it lasted 90 days. At the time I was riding 15 miles a day, 5 days a week. It didn’t even survive 500 miles.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-13-21, 08:01 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm 5'10" and I own a 54cm and a 60cm and I am definitely more comfortable on the 60cm frame. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy riding the 54cm, and for some reason, I can even go faster on the 54cm but I can go farther on the 60cm.
Old 04-13-21, 08:09 PM
motopokep
Banned

I appreciate everyone's advice, I learned many things about bikes lately. I just ordered 3 of these bikes directly from the manufacturer. I will upgrade them to better components. They will be good first road bikes for us beginners. Should I become serious about this new hobby in the future and if I will outgrow the bike in time, my next bike will be a $3k range CF bike from a known brand. End of thread.
Old 04-13-21, 08:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
End of thread.
FYI, you don't get too decide when to end a thread or when to lock a thread. Also, it's really lame to go back and delete all your posts.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-13-21, 09:17 PM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
FYI, you don't get too decide when to end a thread or when to lock a thread. Also, it's really lame to go back and delete all your posts.
What I meant by "end of thread" is that the event to which this thread was leading up, happened. The point is moot. If everyone wants to knock on this bike they've never ridden, for the next 10 pages, feel free. If you look the original post, I asked "anyone have it? anything bad about it?" I was looking for responses from people who have/had it. Apparently there are none. In conclusion of this whole ordeal over a $400 no-name bike that is slightly above Walmart/Target quality of bikes, I'd like to say that there is demand for every product. Some will only buy a BMW while others are content with a Chevy. Some will only eat burgers at gourmet chains like Five Guys, Red Robin, while others are ok with McDonald's and Burger King. Some will travel only to 5-star resorts, while others are ok with 3-stars. Some will eat steak only for $50, while others will settle for a $20 steak. I can go on forever. If anyone wants to shift the discussion away from this particular bike and into this territory, I'm happy to continue. I eat my burgers at Five Guys, drive fancy cars, and don't ever stay at resorts below 5 stars, oh yeah, and eat about a $35-$40 steak, but can order a $50 one if in the mood. With bikes, this is new to me, it's my 1st road bike, I don't know how much I'll be involved in this hobby, if at all. No point getting a top of the line bike right now, and I don't want a used one either, all scratched up after someone, plus I don't know if they dropped it. I like to buy my cars new, but there was a time when I bought slightly used I must admit. Don't knock on Walmart and Target bikes, there is a market for them, high demand, for the ordinary casual weekend rider. As far as erasing earlier posts, you know, sometimes I write something, and then think there was no point in writing it. I kinda write something for myself, like I'm talking to myself, and then I don't need this stuff out there anyway, a lot of the stuff I've written carries no value for anyone. If pretty much noone agrees with me, then I must be wrong, because one person can't be right if everyone says otherwise....or wait, there was this guy named Nicolaus Copernicus...wait, what, the Earth orbits around the Sun and is not flat? Read this quick, before I erase it Better quote it, so I can't erase it.

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 09:23 PM
motopokep
Banned

one more example came to mind. there are different levels of play in both youth and adult sports. in hockey, for example, you have AAA, AA, A, B, and even C travel leagues, and below that are house players that don't play with other rinks. No one would dare to call the B, C, and house-level players "**** kids" "crappy players", "worthless". In pro sports, there are major and minor leagues, and people still watch minor leagues play. Same principal here, don't call a cheaper, less quality bike a bad bike, a crap bike. It may be crap for you, an advanced cyclist with 20 years of riding and racing $5k bikes. For me, who's almost never ridden a road bike, this is something new, a big step up...oh, and I'm an auto and motorcycle mechanic by hobby, been working on cars and bikes for decades. I'll figure out a way to make this bicycle much better, even if I have to invest another $500 into it. That's the fun part, maybe even more fun than riding.
Old 04-13-21, 09:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
What I meant by ...
one more example ...
TLDR ... and it's still lame to go back and delete all your posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.