Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek T500 Bontrager Shocks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 04:17 AM
goncalop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a Trek T500 City bike to get back to shape and use (I live in the Netherlands).

I've been taking it apart and seeing what needs replacing and I can't get the front shocks open for maintenance. See the pictures attached for reference (I had to upload them as a zip file as I'm new to the forum and I can't upload pictures).

The right side of the shock as some oxidation and I've just sprayed some WD40 to see if I could get it to move. After jumping on top of the bike it moved a little but it is still almost completely seized.

I've tried looking for the bottom bolts to open the shocks and sand away the oxidation and get them in shape but I can't seem to find any bolt.

Does any of you have any idea on how to open these shocks? Any other suggestions on how to get them to working condition?

Thank you very much!

Gonçalo
Attached Files
File Type: zip
T500.zip (11.25 MB, 4 views)
Old 09-16-21, 08:50 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
I wasn't able to unzip your files, but I looked up the bike. It looks like the fork disassembles from the bottom. Here's a video that might help. Sorry for its obnoxious background music.