Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ATTN: 65+'rs - What are you doing for strength, stretch and cross-training?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-31-11, 05:59 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I made this a separate 65+ thread as sometimes new posts are lost in stickies, such as the 65-85+ sticky, but am really interested in responses from the 65+ crowd.

Research shows that we really start to lose a lot of physical strength, flexibility and general fitness as we age - and that the decline really seems to kick in as one reaches and passes 65 yo.

We also know that bicycling is a non-weight-bearing sport (along with swimming) - and that intensive activity in these areas can lead to increased bone loss and osteoporosis, especially for those growing older.

We also know that "heavy lifting" and walking/running are generally the best for prevention of osteoporosis, but that heavy lifting has its own dangers - especially for those who are just newly getting into that activity without proper training.

We also know that cross-training provides a lot of benefits in building a variety of "endurances" and stretching and strengthening muscles, tendons and ligaments not used in just one activity.

So, do you have a plan, schedule, activities regarding the above? If you don't have you considered it, or why not?

Please comment

Maintaining and building strength:

Cross training/Endurance training besides bicycling:

Weight bearing activities:

Flexibility/stretching/whatever:

Also, I would be curious about nutrition habits. Specifically, whole grains, lean meat, fruits, veggies, supplements, etc.

And medical risks - hypertension, blood sugar, cholesterol - how are you handling these types of things, if they apply?

Other thoughts?

Thanks!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-31-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I will be 73 later this year. I have been blessed with excellent health all my life. I live in the snow belt so there is at least 4 months I cant ride at all. I dislike riding in the cold, and usually wont ride if below 60. In the warm months I usually try to ride everyother day riding 30 miles or a little more. That gives me between 2000 and 2500 miles a year. I lift hand weight year around 3 days a week, and use an excersise maching for my legs the 4 months im forced off the bike.

I take some issue with the statement that cycling doesnt keep bones strong. In my case I ride a recumbent. Since I can load up my legs between the pedals and the seat back I feel im losing nothing there.
Old 03-31-11, 09:19 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was way stronger at 63 than at 70. I am losing, however, the lifting, and the exercise is still keeping me above average.
Let me define my opinion of HEAVY LIFTING. Heavy Lifting to me means lifting weight were I can barely make 6 to 8 reps..Light Lifting is lifting weights were I can get up to 15 reps. IMO, weight-training is a major component of prolonging the aging, and keeps us active and flexible way past normal.

In my case, I do both types weight training. Also, because I am about 30 lbs underweight, and knees are bad, the bicycle is my only cardio.

I have arthiritis, I have had attacks where I had to crawl. However, constant lifting keeps the arthiritis at bay. At 63 I could do about 25 wide-angle palms facing outward chin ups. Now, can't do 1!! .

Decline will come with the age. However, working the body, in all aspects, weight training/stretching/cardio PROLONGS the decline.

Also, medical opinons don't always have to be correct. I tend to go on the side of DOING IT, even if the doctors say no..
I have a heart-murmer, or really a big hole in my heart! The docs told me to take it easy, and be passive. I was for a while, until I felt the pump of working out. The way I feel at 70, I think I could tell the doctors something...

I weight train 6 days a week. Alternate light and heavy. I always do at least 10 minutes stretching before workouts.

Last edited by cehowardGS; 03-31-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:51 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I cycle and hike in warm weather, telemark ski all winter, and walk year around. I've tried weights and various other regimens but have always lost interest, so I do the above mentioned activities as much as I can. At 63 1/2, so far so good.I also drink lots of red wine and beer, to which I attribute a healthy outlook on life and a relief of any stress that I may feel, though I am relatively stress-free. I'm convinced that walking is one of the best things that you can do for yourself, and it's so easy to do.
Old 03-31-11, 11:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

OK, here is what I am currently doing at age 71.5:

Every day - Stretching, emphasizing the lower body at this time, especially for ITBand stretching and hams. planks and side planks. Bridges with my feet on a ball, balance board, balancing on one foot with eyes closed (try this - but have a post or wall nearby), inversion table.

During the week, alternating

Series 1 - Bosu ball exercises including balancing on butt while doing a variety of activities, one-legged squats on the bosu, one-legged pushups on the upside down bosu,

Series 2 - Pushups, medium weight squats, bench press and dumbbell press at high weight (about 6-8 max)

Series 3 - Dips on the dip bar, overhead pull down. lat pull down, pecs, back exercises,

During the week I generally do my gym-type exercises (above) in my basement gym, walk to the rec center and swim, walk back (or take a decent ride and swim at the end of the ride) or some combination of walking, riding and swimming every day.

Eat as many fruits as I can, some veggies, stay away from red meats, particularly fatty meats. My downfall - I have a humungous sweet tooth, dearly love ice cream, etc.

I don't worry much about my weight, as long as it is reasonable. Exercise and BP meds keep BP near 120/80. Cholesterol is fine, have no symptoms of diabetes or similar.

That's about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-31-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 12:23 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
OK, here is what I am currently doing at age 71.5:

Every day - Stretching, emphasizing the lower body at this time, especially for ITBand stretching and hams. planks and side planks. Bridges with my feet on a ball, balance board, balancing on one foot with eyes closed (try this - but have a post or wall nearby), inversion table.

During the week, alternating

Series 1 - Bosu ball exercises including balancing on butt while doing a variety of activities, one-legged squats on the bosu, one-legged pushups on the upside down bosu, Series 2 - Pushups, medium weight squats, bench press and dumbbell press at high weight (about 6-8 max)

Series 3 - Dips on the dip bar, overhead pull down. lat pull down, pecs, back exercises,

During the week I generally do my gym-type exercises (above) in my basement gym, walk to the rec center and swim, walk back (or take a decent ride and swim at the end of the ride) or some combination of walking, riding and swimming every day.

Eat as many fruits as I can, some veggies, stay away from red meats, particularly fatty meats. My downfall - I have a humungous sweet tooth, dearly love ice cream, etc.

I don't worry much about my weight, as long as it is reasonable. Exercise and BP meds keep BP near 120/80. Cholesterol is fine, have no symptoms of diabetes or similar.

That's about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else?
That's a great routine!!

Now, you gotta give us some vids of you on that Bosu ball!!!
Old 03-31-11, 12:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

This is what I try to do for the abs - not there yet, though. It takes an amazing amount of balance, coordination and strength to do these well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1c48eHA2Y
Old 03-31-11, 12:49 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12185 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
It changes as the seasons change.

In the winter it's trainer/rower/strength exercises/day off

Right now it's riding and strength exercises

I ought to be still using the rower, but I'm not.

I like the gym, but lately I have been doing them at home.

I do a bunch with rubber bands, a little with kettlebells.
I am a big fan of PerformanceU on Youtube.

Looks like manana I will be shoveling snow (yuch).
Old 03-31-11, 01:46 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, I'm really impressed with some of the stuff you guys do. My normal regimen is ride 3 days a week 75 to 60 miles depending on which route and 2 days I do a L. Sansone exercise video and usually two or three walk-runs usually 2 to 4 miles. I guess I should lift weights or do push-ups but I just can't seem to get my "want to" in gear.
Old 03-31-11, 02:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by late
I do a bunch with rubber bands,
My back and pec exercises are all with the bands, which I have mounted on the wall and I have fixed it so I can adjust the tension. It works really well.
Old 03-31-11, 03:56 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My main concern is core strengthening to help a bad back, leg strengthening with emphasis on the knees and much stretching to maintain range of motion. I also use light dumbells for upper body strength (need to get heavier weights - maybe 25 lbs each). I ski telemark in winter, great for the quads and helps with cycling. In the recent past I had done much hiking and overnight backpacking and snowshoeing in winter. Plain old walking with a relatively heavy backpack is surprisingly aerobic as well as working legs and upper body if you use trekking poles. There are many exercises and activities that help maintain mind and body. I would say to find those activities or exercises that you enjoy, or people to do them with and do them frequently.
Old 03-31-11, 04:45 PM
late

Originally Posted by Phil85207
Wow, I'm really impressed with some of the stuff you guys do. My normal regimen is ride 3 days a week 75 to 60 miles depending on which route and 2 days I do a L. Sansone exercise video and usually two or three walk-runs usually 2 to 4 miles. I guess I should lift weights or do push-ups but I just can't seem to get my "want to" in gear.
Not so impressive, at least for me.

I was doing rides like yours a few years ago. But my health took a turn for the worse,
and it's been comeback trail since.

I do exercise, but it's nothing heroic. Yesterday's bike ride was 11 or 12 miles.
I got a loaf of bread.

I'm getting better, but...
Old 03-31-11, 04:50 PM
late

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My back and pec exercises are all with the bands, which I have mounted on the wall and I have fixed it so I can adjust the tension. It works really well.
I think rubber bands are great, but...

I like to mix it up with machines and free weights at the gym.
It's a very good idea to do that since the bands do some things well;
but they aren't a perfect solution, and they can do some things you don't want
over the long run.
Old 03-31-11, 04:59 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not 65 yet, about 10 years away. I do ride a lot and try to get some time in the gym for core. When I retire I will dedicate more time to weight training. My issue is that in the past, when I did lift weights my shoulder joints gave me problems. I suspect I will never be able to lift heavy weights. But moderate weight lifting will work for me. I am a firm believer that when we retire we should go from working for someone else to working for yourself, where working for yourself means putting as much effort in staying fit & healthy as you did on your career.
Old 04-01-11, 01:40 PM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my "regimen" - but I'm not religious about it - for instance I did little swimming this winter:

Do a long (+1000miles) bicycle tour once a year, twice if possible. Fully loaded, ride 6-7 days a week.

Try to train for, and enter, one long distance bike race a year.

Train, and coach run-walkers, for a marathon once a year: starts in June and ends in February. April and May coach several groups a week for the Capital 10K in early April.

Swim 1000-2000 yards 6 days a week all year if possible, all summer if pools are shut in the winter. This is in open air pools all year round (I live in Austin, where Barton Springs and Deep Eddy are open all year).
Enter at least one distance swimming race a year (I usually come last!)

I try to cycle to doctor's appointments and the pool (6-12 miles, which approx 600 feet climbing.

What I don't do: go to the gym (I should - I have core issues). lift weights (never learned the techniques)

Diet practices:

Protein eaten is mostly fish - it helps to have a Scandinavian wife!
Red meat, when eaten, is generally buffalo. We NEVER eat expensive cuts of meat.
Lots of veggies (but I have problems with the cabbage family, so this is mostly green beans, spinach and chard, asparagus when in season, carrots, etc.
Lots and lots of fruit.
Way too much bread - need to cut back on the "empty carbs".
NO pizza, no McD except on bike trips, one glass of wine per evening, very little other alcohol.
Like Dnvr, I have a sweet tooth, and this has led to a nasty habit of snacking on cereals at night, which means steady weight gain unless I exercise a LOT.

Health issues: Atrial fibrillation, which killed my marathon this year at mile 19. I have figured out it is brought on mainly by dehydration, which is a real problem when you grew up in Great Britain, and live in Texas. They're talking of doing an ablation this year.
Restless Leg Syndrome: don't laugh, it made my life hell from teenage to my 50s, when I finally got it diagnosed. I have to follow the meds strictly to keep this under control. Severely restricts sleep; hell in 'planes.
Peripheral Neuropathy (Feet) - can't feel much forrard of the arch, but it's not a real impediment, yet.
Back issues: nearly crippled me when I was driving 40,000 miles a year. Cycling keeps it entirely under control, but I still need to work on my core more.
Muscle cramps: these used to be ferocious till I found the right OTC pill this year.

The other issue I would like to mention that others haven't is that I started to have serious memory problems after I retired, and Alzheimer's is a given on my father's side of the family. By working half the year and exercising like crazy the rest I seem to have not only stopped the symptoms progressing, but largely reversed them.
Old 04-01-11, 03:56 PM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What do i do for strength, nothing, stretch, sometimes do some stretches when my back starts to twinge, cross? i try no to be cross. I just ride the bike when i can. I have no plan other than logging my miles. Resting heart rate is 48 to 52, 120/80 bp. Doc checked me out, no polyps, postrate fine, all else is good.
Diet? Always buy Choice cuts of meat(Ribeye, Porterhouse, you get the picture), have lots of choclate, pie, fruit pie, butter(the real butter, not that fake stuff), bacon, eggs, cheese, i would fry everything if i could. Fish once in a while, Pizza once a week at least, tuna, breads, rolls. Oh, greens, fruit once in a while. Lots of lunch meats. Beer, wine. I am over weight however. 198 pounds. I should be 170 or less. My memory is good as far as i can remember. I expect to hit the low 180s when i can ride at least three times a week, but then again i may not. I do eat cereal every morning to be regular. That means i shifted the bacon and eggs to lunch. Stress? left all that in Viet Nam. I do drink lots of water. All in all i do feel good for 65.
Old 04-01-11, 06:34 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Age 78+. Weigh 135/137 lbs.
About 5 minutes of stretches (in bed) before I get up.
Do a few pushups once in a great while. Walk a couple times a week.
Ride 100+ miles a week; on the single bike once or twice a week; 4 to 5 times a week on our tandem.
Eat lotsa fruit/veggies. Rarely indulge in fast food (Kay is a great cook). Do like my daily dark chocolate.
Had cancer; slightly elevated blood pressure, pulse low 50s when relaxed and max 183.
Do take supplements: calcium, glucosomine/chondroiton/MSM combo + daily multi vitamin.
Normally feel great!
Can't wait 'til we get older!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
09 Xmas roses.jpg (26.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
Kay & Rudy.jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)