Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 05-02-20, 12:41 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Still in re-read mode so dont know it this came up already. Lasers have a firm space in our hearts I guess so heres one but not a "just another Laser":

Cinelli Laser Ammortizzata

Fully is a word rarely seen in the TT world but this thing is a fully. Ammortizzata ~shock absorbed.

Andrea "Laserman" Pesenti with the prototype built by him.

The bike was designed to break the hour record ao some might ask why full suspension. During design they were suggested to use as thin tubulars as possible. So tires went on diet from 15 mm to 9 (15 is already crazy thin i guess) but for this solid rubbers had to be used. The university professors who advised this change also quickly figured out that this will be really stressful for the rider so the let the dampers got the force not the guy trying to break the record.

Sadly the project got axed after the interest for the hour record dropped.

I find it amazing. I guess the disc wheel version with bullhorn is a winning combo (even from the non-drive side )
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-02-20, 05:14 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

And one more Pesenti creation. This time not Cinelli but bears his name.
Lovely I must say... This is also a kind of bike I think which would fit Darth Vader if he was a TT rider.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-03-20, 12:15 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
So no this bicycle above has not been posted before. This is definitely a unique Cinelli. That curved seat stay is pretty unusual period. Not sure the purpose of that...maybe you know Lattz. I really like the picture of the gentleman who designed the bike with his creation. You can tell that he is really proud which is awesome to see. Not enough respect for the achievements of those up in years these days....the people who built everything. Not many of these must be in existence since the project was high level and got axed.The solid rubber tires is interesting phenomenon. I agree with you that the version in the above picture is the best with the bullhorns and the fantastic Cinelli Carbon Fiber disc wheels A complete set of those wheels in excellent condition would cost an arm and a leg.

Here is a weird one....sorry if posted before....but it illustrates that there are some strange unique Cinellis out there.
He is a superhero in cycling history. Being the no. 1 frame builer at Cinelli, he took part in the design and built each and every Laser frame himself - for the rider and the planned usage hence the "many" variations. Also the above batman version. Hence the name Laserman. I guess when your everyday job is to build a series of iconic bikes (which it was from day 1) side projects and personal project must be fun. Plus I guess he gathered a lot of extra knowledge during these years adding on top that he was highly praised already at that time. Heres another funny pic of him which could be an old photo turning up from a family drawer, showing friends having fun at the summer hiuse but with todays eyes its dramatic as theres this disc wheel and a laser casually standing on the left.

Last edited by Lattz; 05-03-20 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-03-20, 01:26 PM
Lattz

Whaaaaaaat?!? Somebody robbed a bank to pay for these!
He wanted the best bike but had no clue which one is it so just took 1-2 of each.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-04-20, 01:54 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Fully is a word rarely seen in the TT world
The Triathletes of the 90ies used them a lot - Softrides etc... or this thing:

Likes For martl:
Old 05-04-20, 09:01 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by martl
The Triathletes of the 90ies used them a lot - Softrides etc... or this thing:

Oh yeah. you are right. I tend to forget about these. However these are/were special even among the specials no?
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-04-20, 08:35 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
The best Huffy ever made.
Ooooooh controversial! I'd have to say Andy Hampsten's is the best Huffy ever made, if only for what he did on it.

(Yeah I know it's a Landshark with Huffy decals, but I'm sure Huffy didn't go anywhere near the aforementioned TT machine, either.)
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-04-20, 09:15 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Is this the bike he rode when he did that P!N20?
Yes indeed.

Thanks for the kind words. However, I’m not an expert, just an interested party.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-04-20, 09:18 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts

What the heck is this?!?
I think it's pure fantasy. Designers "assume" future advances in magnetic superconductivity. Those advances should be really big to let magnets work like that by "cranking the pedals" - how many watts would it take? And the saddle setup in front of the BB is weird too.
Also, I don't know why, but many designers hate seat tubes, they think a seat tube less bike is a purer design somehow.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-05-20, 07:31 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Rarity of rarities! Absolutely Holy Grail.
Legnano Crono Alfa Lum. Only in 1988. Fondriest's year. / The road version is not very common either /

Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 05-05-20, 08:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Added some much better pictures of this bike that is virtual perfection for me. It is a Holy Grail for me. Anyone have any information on the make of bike Dioss? Information is hard to come by. If anyone has any info or other pictures of Dioss bikes I would be in your debt. Also if the owner wants to sell this let me know wherever you are. Thank you everybody. Look up to previous post for the better pictures.
Very nice! The only straight tubes are the headtube and the monostay... But why mismatched brakes?
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-06-20, 07:08 PM
Lattz

Thanks....yeah this is a thing of beauty.... an object of art....in my mind anyway. As far as the mismatched brakes....I honestly do not know. I know that the owner is a young Japanese man who loves to ride long distance in his home country and spend time on the racing track with friends. He seems to know what he is doing and really loves bikes. He rides around to coffee houses and hot dog joints and absorbs the beauty of nature in Japan....an ideal life really. Looks like a cool guy. Wish I could track him down and buy this from him if he was willing to sell. This thing is real quality. The other bike he owns is a Vivalo I believe. Sorry can not elucidate more on your question.
That is really an amazing machine. Try to look through tje pick but my tired eyes always end up on tjat Nitto Tsubasa bar. I have never seen such a thing before but I love it (first I thought its from the London based Tsubasa who created the modern Takhion collaborating with Vorontsov).
Anyway, theres a bike shop in Japan called Dioss, you could ask them if they had anything to do with this just keep in mind the guy posted the stuff 10 years ago. They look superaverage for first sight selking Treks and such but the superior handmade wheel offering sells them out that they are more than a simple bike shop.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-07-20, 05:30 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Old Fireleg
Rarity of rarities! Absolutely Holy Grail.
Legnano Crono Alfa Lum. Only in 1988. Fondriest's year. / The road version is not very common either /

According to the already featured candy shop Cicli Berlinetta (who happens have the road version on tap for a modest 14k EUR) the brand was owned by Bianchi and they made these. The road was a badge engineered X4. Do you know if this is also a rebranded Max Crono or are there any differences? The fork crown is one for sure. Im a sucker for Air/Max and above all EGO tubesets -could be accused to be a "Columbus aero tubeset fetishist" - on this bike the fork crown is sharper than the usual Max and also with a slope... I love it!

Rarity is well indicated by the price difference at least for the roadie. Cant imagine this but here you get a good shape x4 for 3-4000 eur so the same in Legnano is a 10k jump. The Max crono starts at 6k and up... but I guess in this league these are just numbers.

This bike is really a gem... or rather the magic unicorn. Supercool super rare...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-07-20, 06:36 PM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
According to the already featured candy shop Cicli Berlinetta (who happens have the road version on tap for a modest 14k EUR) the brand was owned by Bianchi and they made these. The road was a badge engineered X4. Do you know if this is also a rebranded Max Crono or are there any differences? The fork crown is one for sure. Im a sucker for Air/Max and above all EGO tubesets -could be accused to be a "Columbus aero tubeset fetishist" - on this bike the fork crown is sharper than the usual Max and also with a slope... I love it!

Rarity is well indicated by the price difference at least for the roadie. Cant imagine this but here you get a good shape x4 for 3-4000 eur so the same in Legnano is a 10k jump. The Max crono starts at 6k and up... but I guess in this league these are just numbers.

This bike is really a gem... or rather the magic unicorn. Supercool super rare...
Thanks for the infos!
I looked at the crono bikes of the ’88 Gewiss team (not very good quality pictures). It seems to me like the bianchis also went with a shouldered fork crown. But I'm not sure. The road Legnano SLX also had a different fork crown (Daccordi-like) than the X4.
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 05-07-20, 08:07 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-07-20, 08:23 PM
m_sasso

Old 05-07-20, 08:36 PM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-07-20, 08:42 PM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-07-20, 08:56 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Arigatou

: Mike
Old 05-08-20, 09:12 AM
Lattz

I was waiting for you to comment on this Dioss. I thought you would like this bicycle. Glad I was right. I figured you would like the red color for one. Second the frame is stunningly gorgeous. Everything is subtle curves, almost nothing is straight. It is just so original. And the handlebars are among the ultra rare. The white Campy disc wheels provide the perfect contrast and foil. Nothing is overdone. Everything is pure class. Thanks for the tip....I will check it out. My suspicion is that it is a Thailand make or an Indonesian make and that they were already making bikes in the seventies. I am basing that on one Dioss 77 standard road bike I saw and the writing on the website. All Best Lattz and never let em tell you you don't have killer taste.

And if anyone can solve the mystery of Dioss bicycles you will have my debt and earn a title here at TT Land....something I don't give out often.

Here is a picture of the owner with the bike:

P.S. I am thinking that it is more likely a Japanese make. For some reason the only info seems to show up in Thai. Some guy in Thailand told me on Facebook that he has a mountain bike made by them and that it is a Japanese make. However, it is still a total MYSTERY for me....HELP!
How could I (or anybody with a pair of working eyes at least in this thread) not love this? And yes you are right fantastic frames in Rosso Corsa-ish colors and nice parts are winners by me. Now try to unfold the mystery.... or at least see where we are.
*** warning mixed TT and non-TT content might follow, post something so you can scroll there***
First and foremost I stand by my idea that the bike shop is the answer.
Look at their logos, and note same typeface used, also non-capitalized.

Whats obvious, that they made/released bikes with their names aleady in the seventies.

Well, they did that in the 80s as well. Here are 2 lo-pros going by the name "dioss Mezzo":

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-08-20, 09:13 AM
Lattz

***part 2 ***

They are okay. Nothing dramatic I'd pull my hair out just by looking at them. As the (by now) famous catchphrase say in the Series Chernobyl goes "Not great, not terrible"

Seller info for the 2nd:
A funny bike that we built decades ago. The actual frame is made with Dios rugless frame made in Tokyo, and it is made by TOEI. Frame size core to core is 515 mm. The front wheel is 650C (equivalent to 26 inches), basically Shimano 600EX (now ULTEGRA) SIS set, the brake lever is 600AX of the aero era, but the rubber has aged deterioration. Frame pipe is No. 2 Tange. The handle is a rare crushed aero shaped pipe ITM bullhorn handle of the Italian era. This is also wearing a rare Kampa aero bottle. Since it has been stored in the warehouse for a long time, it may deteriorate over time due to some rust, and general maintenance such as tire replacement is essential.
Now I have to educate myself on TOEI I guess. Btw its for sale at JPY62.000,- (~USD580) I thought everything is dead expensive in Japan, well I was wrong.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-08-20, 09:26 AM
Lattz

***partt3 ***

Still 80s, a 82' road racer converted to randonneur:

80's dioss Sportif - not much info, the bike is actually owned by dioss, they've showed a maintenance set of pics highlighting the good quality of the bike, alsmost no wear after the years (they didn't mention if these years meant standing in the shop or at least commuting...)

still 80s - 1987 nice bike - getting closer to the red miracle at least in terms of bent tubes, but not there yet. I actually like this one, but I'm not sure if 24x24 refers to tire size
The JPY280.000 sounds a lot, but have no idea what did that mean in 78.

And the proof that they still made bikes in 90s, this dioss cresto is for sale at Amazon Japan

That's all folks

oh I almost forget, just to kill it off:

this suggested, that they might be bigger than just a bored old framebuilder guy in the back of his shop.

Looks like they made quality stuff but for sure on the normal human level. The red bike might have been the exception... but what an exception!

Last edited by Lattz; 05-08-20 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-08-20, 09:52 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 707 Posts

Waiting on the calipers to arrive. Nice day out to take pictures.

This pandemic has my LBS swamped with work. Can't get my wheelset built.

Last edited by malcala622; 05-09-20 at 10:49 AM.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 05-11-20, 05:59 PM
Lattz

Just a couple cool pics to tide you over.....enough bikes in one place to cause mass hysteria:

This gives new meaning to the words "baggage claim." I think this is an airport anyway. In any case, I have seen this kind of layout in public many times in my life....
These vaguely look like a bunch of "behind the scenes" pics for that

Last edited by Lattz; 05-11-20 at 06:09 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-12-20, 12:02 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
I didn't scour the thread, but are there any pictures of blasphemy? i.e. A funny bike set up with a riser stem and north roads.
Likes For Piff:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.