Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cars that pull too far into the intersection

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-22-21, 07:52 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

Lately I’ve experienced a few situations where cars will pull too far into the intersection and sit right on top of the crosswalk. I use that crosswalk to get across the street on my commute since it connects directly to a (protected) path on a bridge across the freeway. Usually the driver looks at me and feels stupid (as they should), but they cannot back up due to the car immediately right behind them. So this forces me into the cross traffic to get around the car. Most of the time I have to cut right in front of the car and try not to get hit as I do that.

Any tips to avoid this? Would you just sit through the light and wait for the next crosswalk light? Ask the police to pay closer attention to that intersection (since it is a freeway off ramp)?
Old 06-22-21, 08:30 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
In Texas, at least, if you ride across a crosswalk and you are hit, the motorist can’t be charged. Only pedestrians are allowed in crosswalks. Compared with some of the other products of the state legislature, not the worst law… they’ve set a pretty low bar.

I have one intersection on my commute where I have to cross 5 lanes. I know the timing and when someone blocks the crosswalk I either go in front or behind them on foot. It doesn’t cost me any time. When I get across I set up to follow the motor vehicles after light turns red. I get a nice long empty stretch and sets me up well to take the lane at the next light where most traffic turns but I stay straight.

Last edited by flangehead; 06-22-21 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 08:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I gitcha Bro...

I usually cut them some slack if they look up to realize they have moved in too far.

You know how it is... A/C going full blast in 100° F weather, music blasting away, and those urgent cell phone texts that need to be addressed...

Who's got time to pay attention to a cross walk... Ha
Old 06-23-21, 08:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
No magic one size fits all solution, just do what you think is safe under the circumstances. That's got to vary by the amount of traffic, how far the car invaded the crosswalk, visibility at the intersection, etc.

Sometimes, it's ok to go out of the crosswalk and proceed, other times you might need to wait for the crosswalk to clear.

The nastier drivers will make it ambiguous if they're actually staying put or about to start up again in this situation, btw. They're usually pushing a right on red like it's our job to get out of the way of that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 08:49 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Not sure if it would work in your situation, but I've made it a habit to dismount and walk across in the x-walk. Being pushed out of the x-walk stinks, but you don't have much choice. Either in front or in back of the protruding vehicle, each of which has its' own perils. On foot, you can jump out of the way if someone doesn't see you and starts to drive at you.
Old 06-23-21, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Know your state laws for crosswalks. And if your municipality in that jurisdictions says anything too.

Don't assume what talks about pedestrians applies to cyclists, runners or other people that aren't simply walking as pedestrians.

And realize there are a lot of people out there that didn't have to do much to get their drivers license. Probably taught by a parent that also was taught by a parent. Usually such things don't involve anything but the actual mechanics of driving to learn the skills. Not much on laws or common sense.

Not that I really think high school drivers ed course are that much better. They have issues too.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-23-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-23-21, 09:05 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Cars that block the crosswalk endanger pedestrians too. They also have to walk around it with some people into the moving traffic while others behind the offending car.

If enough people just put their grubby hands all over the offending car while trying to cross, maybe it'll eventually stop.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-23-21, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
On what could be a long down hill run on one of the MUPS, there is a driveway out of a grocery store. Cars are always blocking the trail. They never look to the right in this instance where I am coming from. I am getting really close to getting one of those really loud horns.
Old 06-23-21, 10:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I use the traffic lane as often as possible, even if I'm going to exit it to a side path once through the intersection. Depending on the situation, this may not always be practical so that may mean just waiting for the next light.

I'm almost always in the street and almost never in a cross walk yet the latter is the only place where I was hit by a car. I did the math and choose to avoid them.
Old 06-23-21, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Iride01
Know your state laws for crosswalks. And if your municipality in that jurisdictions says anything too.

Don't assume what talks about pedestrians applies to cyclists, runners or other people that aren't simply walking as pedestrians.

And realize there are a lot of people out there that didn't have to do much to get their drivers license. Probably taught by a parent that also was taught by a parent. Usually such things don't involve anything but the actual mechanics of driving to learn the skills. Not much on laws or common sense.

Not that I really think high school drivers ed course are that much better. They have issues too.

OP is in MN. Bicyclists and pedestrians have the same "rights and obligations" in crosswalks there.
Old 06-23-21, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
OP is in MN. Bicyclists and pedestrians have the same "rights and obligations" in crosswalks there.
Does that matter to me? Or does it invalidate what I said?
Old 06-23-21, 11:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Take a trials bike riding class!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-23-21, 11:11 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Why so defensive? I think LDL was merely posting helpful info for the OP.
Old 06-23-21, 11:17 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Why so defensive?
This is the internet. I thought that was a prerequisite to participation.
Old 06-23-21, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Why so defensive? I think LDL was merely posting helpful info for the OP.
Well I'm trying to find out if I need to be defensive of my comments or not.

Usually, if a persons quotes some other, they are in disagreement with something said. So a response is expected I'd think.

Sometimes people use another's comment to build on a thought.

However, in this case, I'm not even certain why my comments would be used to provide that information that was added to the conversation. They stand well on their own without any need to quote anyone else.

For the OP's question though, I think livedarklions summed up my actual unvoiced thoughts in reply #4.
Old 06-23-21, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You told the OP to know their state laws, so yes that state law would actually pertain to your advice. I would think that if you're telling the OP it's important to get accurate information, including that information should matter to you, yes.

Did I imply that I was trying to invalidate what you said? If anything, I was just augmenting it.

And now that you ask, actually, knowing what the law says really doesn't have much use in answering OP's question--obviously, the car isn't supposed to be in the crosswalk regardless, and the law isn't going to affect whether or not it's safe to go around the car.
Old 06-23-21, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well I'm trying to find out if I need to be defensive of my comments or not.

Usually, if a persons quotes some other, they are in disagreement with something said. So a response is expected I'd think.

Sometimes people use another's comment to build on a thought.

However, in this case, I'm not even certain why my comments would be used to provide that information that was added to the conversation. They stand well on their own without any need to quote anyone else.

For the OP's question though, I think livedarklions summed up my actual unvoiced thoughts in reply #4.
I quote people I'm in agreement with a lot. I had no idea why my response to your quote provoked such a hostile response. OP didn't bring up the state law, you did, so that's what I responded to.

Trust me, if I'm overtly disagreeing with you, you'll know. I am not known for my diplomacy around here.

I did disagree with your post a little bit (I don't think the state law is particularly relevant to the OP's question, but I wasn't going to make an issue of that until you "challenged" me).
Old 06-24-21, 05:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I am not known for my diplomacy around here.
Say what Cupcake?

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 06-24-21 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 06:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Say what Cupcake?
Why you, I oughta....​​​​​​
Old 06-24-21, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I quote people I'm in agreement with a lot. I had no idea why my response to your quote provoked such a hostile response. OP didn't bring up the state law, you did, so that's what I responded to.

Trust me, if I'm overtly disagreeing with you, you'll know. I am not known for my diplomacy around here.

I did disagree with your post a little bit (I don't think the state law is particularly relevant to the OP's question, but I wasn't going to make an issue of that until you "challenged" me).
I've no idea why you or AlmostTrick thought this hostile:
I was perplexed because I didn't understand why that seemed to be directed at me.

I can agree that maybe my comment wasn't completely relevant, but the conversation was already headed that direction. And I still feel like your first reply was the best answer and up until I'd gotten to your reply, that was pretty much what I was going to say so I had nothing left but to recommend, know your state and local laws.

So if you quote me, I'm probably going to respond if I can't see exactly what you are getting at, or if I disagree. As I said, if you'd just put out the comment without quoting anyone, it would have stood on it's own.
Old 06-24-21, 09:01 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Ive noticed that respondents in this section of the forum are often contentious, more so than other sections. Psychologists, get to work on why matters of safety raise hackles...

I mostly quote people I think make a good point, and maybe add another perspective. Why argue with someone on a forum? State your case and don't get personal. Opinions vary. If you think youre right and theyre wrong, so be it. Life's too short!

If they are insulting, it's more of a reflection on them than on you.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 06-24-21, 09:13 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
Any tips to avoid this?
On foot there is one spot like this for me near home. I just make sure the right turn traffic sees me before I walk out in front of them. Basically I just walk around the car when the coast is clear otherwise.

Same intersection driving my car as I exit the Interstate and get to a crossing highway at a stop light. I want to turn right on red but without fail the car to my left (usually a monster truck, SUV, or some other huge vehicle it seems) is too far forward completely over the crosswalk and I CAN"T SEE past them to my left for approaching traffic. So even tho I could legally make a right on red I have to sit there waiting for a green light, then wait for the vehicle blocking my view to start moving before I dare to make my right turn.

On a bike I never find myself in this situation. But if I wait in car, I guess I'd be waiting on my bike.
Old 06-24-21, 09:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Chuckles1

If they are insulting, it's more of a reflection on them than on you.
Make no mistake about it. If I invest my valuable time in insulting someone, it is most assuredly a reflection on them.
Old 06-24-21, 10:07 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Ive noticed that respondents in this section of the forum are often contentious, more so than other sections.

Old 06-24-21, 11:37 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
The nastier drivers will make it ambiguous if they're actually staying put or about to start up again in this situation, btw.
I hate drivers who creep when they should stop. Driving deliberately is both safer and faster for everyone.
Likes For EviLDORK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.