Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

You Don't Know Jack...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

You Don't Know Jack...

Old 04-27-22, 01:42 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
You Don't Know Jack...

I've got a new to me Jack Taylor project that @nlerner picked up for me (maybe last year?). It's orange. It's dented. It's a real POS.

Let me know if you want pics and I'll send you a post card (just Venmo me money for a stamp).

Thanks.

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 04-27-22, 03:20 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
I want to see!
Old 04-27-22, 03:36 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Teaser:
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-27-22, 03:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
I want to see!
Me too!
Old 04-27-22, 09:32 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've got a couple dented frames. It fits my preferences for "riders" as I kind of like them looking POS and less likely to be stolen.
Old 04-28-22, 12:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Orange and with a dent?
All I can offer is.....

Do It Justice.

In this category, I am with @Dylansbob - most little dents never affect the ride quality. Never been too proud to ride a true classic possessing a small dent and some patina.
(altho upon recollection, I did sell a classic that had some rather sever cosmetic damage with shipping from Europe.)

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-28-22 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 12:46 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I have a dent on one of my bikes- something fell out of the rafters of
the garage. Still makes my stomach queasy.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-28-22, 12:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
pics please.....

Old 04-28-22, 02:00 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

This is the C&V forum right?

I don't know how to use a computer so I'll need you all to send me your home addresses and I'll mail you some pics.

Send me your self addressed stamped envelopes as required.

Don't worry, I'll do some pencil drawings of this awesome frame build and include those as well!

the rest of my communiqués from here on out will be via telegram (or stone tablet - your choice).

Godspeed.

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 04-28-22, 02:41 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
If only the person who started the Every Day Pics thread had started this one.
Old 04-28-22, 03:03 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

I got lucky with that one. I just slammed on the keyboard a bunch of times like a crazed cocaine monkey and that time it turned out something posted to the world wide web.

But don't worry, I know how to lick a stamp.

Old 04-28-22, 03:37 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Anyhoo, as luck would have it i have a chronic case of "cotton mouf" which as it turns out makes it really hard to send multiple post cards, so I nixed that idea.

I planned to come back on the sketch and telegraph idea mentioned above (below? who really knows, button machines, am i right?) but I don't have the right kind of lead in my pencil and I couldn't find a properly licensed and accredited telegraphy operator within walking distance (I no longer drive ,ride bikes, or walk too far on account of my slippers having worn out ).

Not someone to disappoint or let my friends down,,,,the backup to the backup plan was crank up the ol EyE PHONE and snap a pic. Again, as luck would have it there was a filter on the damn thing called "Dramatic Cool" that thankfully took ALLL of the guesswork out of getting the lighting right, and so forth, as it were. You barely even have to pay attention to what you're doing to get really good pics, as you'll see.

Notwithstanding and with that said, with no further ads due I'll go ahead and share this with you. As it stands, this is my JACK TAYLOR project , ready for paint.

Just kidding, It's not ready for paint yet. First I need to cut the "extra pieces off", prep it for the battery attachment point, weld some things back on, and so forth. You folks know how it goes.

Did you see those lugs? Look at the dropouts? If you did then you noticed my 1988 "Brian All-Star Team" trophy, so you know you're dealing with someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

I bet you guys don't even know how to weld aluminum, do you?

Psssh.

I know you're going to want more so hold you're horses, i'll be back somewhere between 2-162 weeks assuming I don't succumb to welding zinc (not recommended).

Just kidding. I probably won't be back.

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 04-28-22, 06:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
You Don't Know Jack
Saw it. Jack Kevorkian is very sympathetic. Two thumbs up.
Old 04-28-22, 06:21 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
I say a custom name would go well with the planned upgrades. Jack Taylor? Bo-ring.

How about Jack Schidt?
Old 04-29-22, 11:08 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Can't wait to see this done. Can't wait to hear about how many eldery riders you run into the delaware canal with it!
Old 04-29-22, 12:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
Anyhoo, as luck would have it i have a chronic case of "cotton mouf" which as it turns out makes it really hard to send multiple post cards, so I nixed that idea.

I planned to come back on the sketch and telegraph idea mentioned above (below? who really knows, button machines, am i right?) but I don't have the right kind of lead in my pencil and I couldn't find a properly licensed and accredited telegraphy operator within walking distance (I no longer drive ,ride bikes, or walk too far on account of my slippers having worn out ).

Not someone to disappoint or let my friends down,,,,the backup to the backup plan was crank up the ol EyE PHONE and snap a pic. Again, as luck would have it there was a filter on the damn thing called "Dramatic Cool" that thankfully took ALLL of the guesswork out of getting the lighting right, and so forth, as it were. You barely even have to pay attention to what you're doing to get really good pics, as you'll see.

Notwithstanding and with that said, with no further ads due I'll go ahead and share this with you. As it stands, this is my JACK TAYLOR project , ready for paint.

Just kidding, It's not ready for paint yet. First I need to cut the "extra pieces off", prep it for the battery attachment point, weld some things back on, and so forth. You folks know how it goes.

Did you see those lugs? Look at the dropouts? If you did then you noticed my 1988 "Brian All-Star Team" trophy, so you know you're dealing with someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

I bet you guys don't even know how to weld aluminum, do you?

Psssh.

I know you're going to want more so hold you're horses, i'll be back somewhere between 2-162 weeks assuming I don't succumb to welding zinc (not recommended).

Just kidding. I probably won't be back.

wow didn't know your alter ego was Drew Gugie. some aspects of that picture are down right scary

Old 04-29-22, 03:46 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
wow didn't know your alter ego was Drew Gugie. some aspects of that picture are down right scary
Yeah, I want to know about this fixed cup removal method that involves beating on a dovetail saw with a mallet!