Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where do you hang out in group rides?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-22-22, 09:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts

I like being just off the back (On the slower days) so I dont have to worry about others and can safely listen to music or a podcast or ride relaxed with one or no hands. Also I dont have to brake as much or stop pedaling because I dont get the full draft. When trying to keep up when the ride is fast, being on the back is harder, the accordion can chew me up.
Old 08-22-22, 09:37 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I've been on some casual group rides with 5 or 10 people, sometimes more. Pace is usually very relaxed, and nobody is trying to draft. In those situations, I move around to see who I can talk to (or sometimes to stay away from the obnoxious oafs).

​​​​​​With my usual Wednesday night group, we typically have 10 to 15 riders. The first four or five miles is kind of treated as a warmup, as we make our way out of the city and traffic. Then we hit the farm roads, and it's ON. Always a nice, tight paceline. I try my best to keep up, and lately I usually can. If I were not interested in staying in the line, there would be little point to joining this group; at about mile five, I'd be left in the dust every time, so I might as well ride alone from the start.

I get the impression some of your rides in Cali are quite long and involve lots of riders. I don't really find any of those here.

To answer the question directly, I ride in last or second to last position, then third to last, then fourth, and so on until I'm out front for a couple minutes. Then I drop back and start the whole rotation over.
Old 08-22-22, 09:43 PM
LarrySellerz

The ride in question is normally 30-50 riders, the "slow" days (monday wednesday friday) are pretty relaxed and only 26 miles so most people can stick with the pack
Old 08-22-22, 09:48 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
If it's a big bunch I stick within the safety of the front part of the group, where the stronger, more experienced, higher skilled riders usually are!

I'll be up there swapping turns on the front while the wheesuckers hang back...
Old 08-22-22, 10:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Most group rides have a designated section for riders that are riding no-hands while listening to podcasts; it's called "way over there."
Old 08-22-22, 11:09 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I have gravel tires on my bike so I move off to the extreme side of the road where there's gravel.
Old 08-22-22, 11:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I try to approach each group ride with a plan. Sometimes I’ll go out and focus on being smooth and comfortable with moving around the group, and stay in the rotation. Sometimes I’ll focus on using as few watts as possible. When I’m fit enough, I’ll go to the front, attack, get caught, go to the back to recover, work my way back, and repeat till I blow up amd get dropped.

One thing I never do in a group ride is have ear buds in.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-22, 03:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Listen to music on group rides?

Likes For datlas:
Old 08-23-22, 04:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Somehow always end up in the front, even when. want to be in the back.
Old 08-23-22, 04:15 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I like to be leading the breakaway. That way I’m first in line for a cinnamon bun at the mid ride coffee shop rest stop.
Old 08-23-22, 06:42 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by datlas
Listen to music on group rides?

I use a cheap motorcycle helmet headset (BT17) I modified for bicycle or workout use. I tied a shoelace to it so it can be worn over the head and the ends tied under the chin with or without a bike helmet.

The headphone unit doesn't have a cup so you can still clearly hear traffic and people talk as long as you don't turn up the volume too high. Available in Aliexpress or Walmart (without the shoelace).

The modification also makes it terrific for jogging. It only looks goofy as f---. Music or audio books helps get the mind off from the effort and can improve efficiency.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-23-22 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 06:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I use a cheap motorcycle helmet headset (BT17) I modified for bicycle or workout use. I tied a shoelace to it so it can be worn over the head and the ends tied under the chin with or without a bike helmet.

The headphone unit doesn't have a cup so you can still clearly hear traffic and people talk as long as you don't turn up the volume too high. Available in Aliexpress or Walmart (without the shoelace).

The modification also makes it terrific for jogging. It only looks goofy as f---

Goofy headphones? Best worn with timtak goofy glasses!

Honestly, I suspect if someone wants to listen to music/podcasts while riding, it makes sense in the modern era to use a bone-conduction device, but I would still be concerned about masking road sounds. Certainly I would discourage this on a group ride, but it's a free country.....and Larry gotta be Larry!
Old 08-23-22, 06:51 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I ride close to the guy with the growlers.
Old 08-23-22, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Uses a motorcycle helmet with headphones tied to a shoelace so he can ride with no hands on a group ride.

The shark has been jumped.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-22, 07:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Honestly, I suspect if someone wants to listen to music/podcasts while riding, it makes sense in the modern era to use a bone-conduction device, but I would still be concerned about masking road sounds. Certainly I would discourage this on a group ride, but it's a free country.....and Larry gotta be Larry!
On Mondays I get on the back and take my 1 PM zoom meeting on the group ride just holding my phone. Obviously off the back not in anyones way
Old 08-23-22, 07:33 AM
koala logs
Banned.

It's even goofier-looking if wearing it without a helmet. I suppose it can be a good thing if it forces the user to wear a helmet.

I read the best and quite expensive bone conducting product is still not on par with much cheaper conventional ear piece. The BT17 I use on the other hand, has terrific sounding bass after some tweaking done to my phone's equalizer. Quite surprising for a cheap product.

I do have helmet mirror in case I miss a sound! I regularly scan my back with the mirror.
Old 08-23-22, 07:40 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Uses a motorcycle helmet with headphones tied to a shoelace so he can ride with no hands on a group ride.

The shark has been jumped.
Some of the helmet headsets are already sold with shoelace built into it. But no idea how the user will secure it to the chin without the modification I did to mine.

Old 08-23-22, 08:01 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
On Mondays I get on the back and take my 1 PM zoom meeting on the group ride just holding my phone. Obviously off the back not in anyones way
Still dangerous even if you're completely alone.

You're distracted by the meeting and one hand is off the handlebar. It only take a wrinkled road section to throw you off the bike.
Old 08-23-22, 08:40 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I see riders talking, texting, or watching something on their phone all the time. Even seen a few smoking weed. Crazy world.
Old 08-23-22, 09:24 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I see riders talking, texting, or watching something on their phone all the time. Even seen a few smoking weed. Crazy world.
would be gone from that group in a hurray. <CR>
<CR>
most group rides start with warmup (usually too short...) <CR>
if it's a day when I want to work on short term power, I let a group go off front (usually happens) and when the gap gets large enough, I try to bridge... If it doesn;t work, the group behind will catch me.<CR>
When terrain allows, I try to bridge again, and again <CR>
If it's a climbing day/ride. I usually hit the climbs somewhere nearr the rear, and see how far forward I can get... <CR>
If it's really social, casual, it's always a ride for non-frequent riders, like the local Ski CLub. I tend to hang back and get as many to come onto my wheel and I work to slowly pull them back forward. <CR>
Don;t do many of these; maybe once every 2mos. <CR>
Ride On <CR>
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-23-22, 09:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I try to hang back towards the rear and ride at the extreme right side of the group. Easiest access to the dumpsters from there.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-23-22, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
If it's the Spectrum Ride, ideally on the other side of the road, watching them go by. Second best is on the same side, but stopped well off the road.

I ride alone mostly, except the monthly SF Peninsula C&V Ride, which, having organized it, I feel an obligation to ride it. There, I prefer to ride sweep because I'm a lousy ride leader.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-23-22, 09:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The main group ride that I do has no formal leaders or rules, but there is one unwritten rule that is strictly enforced by the elder statesmen: Don't be a dumbass. Especially don't be a dangerous dumbass.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-22, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You get credit for group therapy if you zoom it while riding? Cool.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-23-22, 10:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The only larger group ride I do is weeknight worlds a couple times a summer. In that, definitely in front 1/3 or in the rotation or in the break. The back 2/3 always is dropped by the break of 3 to 6 folks. Then it's either the pro or cat 1/2 guy that "makes it" or a bunch sprint.

Otherwise, I only do group rides with my teammates doing a very nice and tight formation. Either rotating constantly or taking turns or planning a little leadout train for a townline. Max of 6 of us then. In those, everyone pulls but is free to sit out a rotation or few.

I'm not a big fan of the cluster F 18mph critical mass roadie group rides where folks wear headphones or wander all over the place like a flock of chickens.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.