Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Old 12-06-22, 03:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I did read the article. Just reemphasizing those facts. The OPs title "one more excuse to skip riding in the cold" seems to imply that none of us should ride in the cold because of the article he posted.
No it seems to imply someone might want an excuse not to do something they don't want to do.
The OP's title is obviously a joke.

No one's telling you not to work out in the cold.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-06-22, 03:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
Good that humans had the easy life of chasing an animal for hours or escaping and fighting predators. Or clearing a forest or pulling a plow by hand. No one back then read some Internet advice to figure out if running fast is a good idea. No one called it aerobic exercise, it was called escaping the angry elephant or whatever the need for the exercise was.

How do you think animals survive in the Wild? Not many bunnies die of a heart attack, they die if they don't run fast enough.

​​​​

Back then, they were probably dying of a bacterial infection at a young age. Seriously, this cave man stuff is obviously irrelevant to a question of gearing your exercise to promote healthy longevity.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-06-22, 04:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Not many bunnies die of a heart attack, they die if they don't run fast enough.

​​​​
I saw a bunch of dead ones at my favorite poultry butcher this afternoon. I’ll be making one later this month. Braised in white wine with Dijon over egg noodles. Great comfort food.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-06-22, 04:12 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Not many bunnies die of a heart attack, they die if they don't run fast enough.
​​​​
Well if humans ate more "rabbit food" they would not only not have heart disease, but they may become as horny as rabbits.

Remember, old rabbits die hard.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-06-22, 04:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
My point is that we should listen to doctors when they tell us stuff that is backed up by science.
Well I guess it is time to abolish and do away with all winter sports including winter olympics, just because some quack doctor on internet said that being active in the cold is dangerous.
Old 12-06-22, 04:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions

No one's telling you not to work out in the cold.
OP just did that and he even cherry picked an article to support his opinion.
Old 12-06-22, 04:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Perhaps the fact that no one was dumb enough to do hours of continuous high-effort aerobic exercise in freezing temperatures until the (late) 20th century has something to do with it.
Continuous aerobic activity is perfectly fine and healthy as long as you stay is zone 2 or below...The problem starts when people push too hard with too much intensity for too long too frequently. The root of the problem is modern fitness industry and their "no pain no gain mentality" which advocates and encourages that people push themselves into complete exhaustion.by performing too much HIIT and doing too much other high intensity efforts.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-06-22, 05:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
So..no more skiing, ice skating or making snowmen?

How about scraping the car window or shovelling snow from your walk or driveway?
Old 12-06-22, 06:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Well I guess it is time to abolish and do away with all winter sports including winter olympics, just because some quack doctor on internet said that being active in the cold is dangerous.
Thank you for your hyperbole.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-06-22, 06:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
OP just did that [telling you not to work out in the cold] and he even cherry picked an article to support his opinion.
Good grief. Didn’t “do that”. Didn’t cherry pick an article to support that imagined opinion, either.

Consider the title of this thread:

excuse - a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-07-22 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-06-22, 06:22 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
What would this audience think of A Modest Proposal?
Old 12-06-22, 06:58 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
It's the effing cold- the most miserable, disrespectful, moronic season. I don't need an excuse to stay in, safely and logically out of it, I would need one to go in it. All that just proves it's bad for your health and you're a fool to subject yourself to it.
Old 12-06-22, 08:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, heart attack cases definitely increase in cold weather.

Personal anecdote: My great-grandfather dropped dead while chopping wood in cold weather. My great-great-grandfather dropped dead in the snow on a hunting trip. He was found face down, with his finger still on the trigger. They were both several years younger than I am currently. Fingers crossed.
Those stories, and the snow shoveling stories, are all about unfit people doing work to which they are not accustomed. Well, and not only that, not having had a life-long high state of fitness. If that's the case with any of our gentle readers, listen up and don't over-exert. OTOH, if you can go out and knock off a hilly 50 miles on any given day, don't worry about it. Get out there and shovel! It'll do you good. It's all about aerobic fitness.

My wife an I have a very rural cabin, no power, no cell service, off a dirt road off a dirt road off a gravel road. I love going out there and chopping wood for the stove, felling trees and hauling them away for fire prevention, all that stuff. Totally not an issue. We've fenced about 15 of our 20 acres, all with tamarack posts in hand-dug holes. Everything in the country involves either a hammer, a shovel, a hand saw, or an axe.

I don't remember where I saw this recent anecdote: The Finnish Nordic XC team was out putting in some kilometers through the woods. They caught a glimpse of another skier way ahead of them and picked up the pace. They had a heckuva time catching whoever that was, frustrating. Eventually they did catch up with the 90 y.o ex-world XC champ. One assumes it was cold.
Old 12-06-22, 08:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
It says below 50F, so I'm pretty safe here in the San Fernando Valley.
Old 12-06-22, 09:12 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I’ve heard that cross country skiing and backcountry skiing has a body count a mile high.

Seriously.

I don’t ride on cold days anymore because it isn’t fun. I certainly still ski, usually touring where I’m actually running at a higher heart rate than I would cycling. Or ice climbing, or general mountaineering. It’s all good. That’s what clothes (the right kind) are for.

Some of the most uncomfortably warm I’ve ever been has been during freezing days.

I suppose that if you already are at risk. Like under the care of a cardiologist or something, cold might be a concern.

Can this article explain Wim Hof? The iceman seems to be just about the healthiest person I’ve heard of. Many of his followers have literally been cured (anecdotally) of autoimmune diseases by following his crazy lifestyle into the cold.

Finally, a funny story that barely relates to this thread. As a teenager I was working at a swimming pool. They had drained it to do some maintenance work over the winter break. I was there painting or something like that. As the pool was filling, the temperature read somewhere in the 30’s for the water since it wasn’t being heated yet. Ever the show off I jumped in and swam to the side. Holy **** that was cold. We all laughed until the manager ripped my butt. I believe she said I could have had a heart attack. That was nearly 30 years ago. This article is nothing new.
Old 12-07-22, 06:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The article is absolute nonsense...and BTW we just had a thread about a guy who died on his indoor trainer.
OP just did that and he even cherry picked an article to support his opinion.

You are such a bad liar. You're both attacking the article ( that you still obviously haven't read) and accusing OP of "cherry picking " it.

OP made a joke about an "excuse". Please tell me how that was telling you not to ride in the cold. There's risks associated with the cold that are higher for some people. I can ride centuries in heat most people wouldn't leave their AC in, but there's no way I want to ride in 45 degree weather. You and I have different lungs, ok for me to notice that?

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-07-22 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-22, 06:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Those stories, and the snow shoveling stories, are all about unfit people doing work to which they are not accustomed. Well, and not only that, not having had a life-long high state of fitness. If that's the case with any of our gentle readers, listen up and don't over-exert. OTOH, if you can go out and knock off a hilly 50 miles on any given day, don't worry about it. Get out there and shovel! It'll do you good. It's all about aerobic fitness.

My wife an I have a very rural cabin, no power, no cell service, off a dirt road off a dirt road off a gravel road. I love going out there and chopping wood for the stove, felling trees and hauling them away for fire prevention, all that stuff. Totally not an issue. We've fenced about 15 of our 20 acres, all with tamarack posts in hand-dug holes. Everything in the country involves either a hammer, a shovel, a hand saw, or an axe.

I don't remember where I saw this recent anecdote: The Finnish Nordic XC team was out putting in some kilometers through the woods. They caught a glimpse of another skier way ahead of them and picked up the pace. They had a heckuva time catching whoever that was, frustrating. Eventually they did catch up with the 90 y.o ex-world XC champ. One assumes it was cold.

I knocked off a hilly 80 miles in 90+ degree heat twice this year, and I think my particular lung issues make cold weather cycling a bad idea. I'm betting you don't have the data to back up the first sentence of your post.
Old 12-07-22, 07:48 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

Yup. 100%

Another risk is most people do not dress properly for outdoor exercise in the cold. They get cold and blood vessels constrict. All the complaints about cold hands and feet are symptomatic.
Old 12-07-22, 08:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yup. 100%

Another risk is most people do not dress properly for outdoor exercise in the cold. They get cold and blood vessels constrict. All the complaints about cold hands and feet are symptomatic.

I agree with the last part, but where the post went wrong is in assuming that these effects only operate on the generally unfit. Alas, plenty of trained athletes die of heart attacks when a previously undetected defect or condition suddenly catches up with them. It's why it's important not to write off chest pains, etc. as being just the normal reaction to intense training.
Old 12-07-22, 08:20 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I agree with the last part, but where the post went wrong is in assuming that these effects only operate on the generally unfit. Alas, plenty of trained athletes die of heart attacks when a previously undetected defect or condition suddenly catches up with them. It's why it's important not to write off chest pains, etc. as being just the normal reaction to intense training.
Chest pains should never be ignored. They could just be indigestion, a back pain radiating into the chest.........or a blocked artery. I knew a guy who started having chest pains while playing basketball. Turns out he had an artery that was 90% blocked. A stent fixed his problem.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-07-22, 08:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Can this article explain Wim Hof? The iceman seems to be just about the healthiest person I’ve heard of. Many of his followers have literally been cured (anecdotally) of autoimmune diseases by following his crazy lifestyle into the cold.

Assuming there is anything to actually be explained, why would it be any contradiction that cold has both benefits and risks? That's true of most things people find beneficial.
Old 12-07-22, 08:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Why can I person on my Ignore List respond to my post.

Fit athletes suffer unexplained and unanticipated cardiac arrest all of the time.

Cold adaptation reduces vascular constriction (as does properly dressing).

Unlike the SCD in heat, I have never found a body of evidence that athletes are prone to it in the cold. Athletes like nordic skiers, ultramarathoners, backpackers, ice climbers, crazy bike riders, etc.
Old 12-07-22, 09:10 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
I knocked off a hilly 80 miles in 90+ degree heat twice this year, and I think my particular lung issues make cold weather cycling a bad idea. I'm betting you don't have the data to back up the first sentence of your post.
If you breathe through your nose during cold weather cycling you'll be fine. This coming from a fellow lung issue sufferer.

Though the limit of cold discussed here is a bit silly. I've found that I only need to start putting any sort of limits when the temperatures get below freezing, so 32 degrees fahrenheit. But strangely I haven't yet found a cold limit for myself. My bikes freeze before I do (most oils a greases have a low functioning limit of -40c(f)
Old 12-07-22, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by elcruxio
If you breathe through your nose during cold weather cycling you'll be fine. This coming from a fellow lung issue sufferer.

Though the limit of cold discussed here is a bit silly. I've found that I only need to start putting any sort of limits when the temperatures get below freezing, so 32 degrees fahrenheit. But strangely I haven't yet found a cold limit for myself. My bikes freeze before I do (most oils a greases have a low functioning limit of -40c(f)

My lung issues are scar tissue from a blood clot infarction--I won't be running the experiment on your say so.

I get that people are insisting on seeing themselves as some sort of norm, but that's really not how these things work.
Old 12-07-22, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Why can I person on my Ignore List respond to my post.

Fit athletes suffer unexplained and unanticipated cardiac arrest all of the time.

Cold adaptation reduces vascular constriction (as does properly dressing).

Unlike the SCD in heat, I have never found a body of evidence that athletes are prone to it in the cold. Athletes like nordic skiers, ultramarathoners, backpackers, ice climbers, crazy bike riders, etc.
I can see what you post even if I'm on your ignore list, but if you saw my response you're either lying or mistaken about me being on your ignore list.

I didn't say that athletes were especially prone to cold weather heart attacks, but I am pushing back on the idea that only unfit people can have coronary issues that can be exacerbated by the cold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.