Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 08:17 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
West Virginia

Here is a link to very informative rides around West Virginia. I live in western WV and cycled all over.
https://www.cyclingscenicwv.com
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 12-07-20, 07:01 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by wvridgerider
Here is a link to very informative rides around West Virginia. I live in western WV and cycled all over.
https://www.cyclingscenicwv.com
Yes that is a good informative site. I'm considering using his route to Spruce Knob this Summer.
Old 12-16-20, 06:47 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

There is a gravel race up Spruce Knob, although you can just ride it. I did a tour years ago and went up there. Visit the Sinks of Gandy.
Old 12-22-20, 10:22 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
There is a gravel race up Spruce Knob, although you can just ride it. I did a tour years ago and went up there. Visit the Sinks of Gandy.
I am trying to make up a plan for a few days out of town and bring my bike. WV has a lot of appeal to me, I went to Salem College graduated in 81 and have only been back there (except traveling through) once since. That was in 1992. I was thinking about doing a rail trail and may still do that but it seems a complicated thing to do. So road biking is starting to dominate my thinking. If I do Spruce Knob I will visit Sinks of Gandy and at least drive by Seneca Rocks and probably go to Cass RR.
Old 12-25-20, 08:04 PM
wvridgerider

Go to cyclingcenicwestvirginia.com. Dale has made great maps for his rides. He is old school, fold up a map and ride. WV is making headway with rail trails. We have a new 4 lane going in US 35. The old 35, route 817 will be a bike route from Winfield to Point Pleasant. 31 miles each way and a visit to the Mothman. I live in Winfield and used to put on a charity ride but it got to be too much work.
Old 12-25-20, 09:16 PM
Code54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to cyclingcenicwestvirginia.com. Dale has made great maps for his rides. He is old school, fold up a map and ride. WV is making headway with rail trails. We have a new 4 lane going in US 35. The old 35, route 817 will be a bike route from Winfield to Point Pleasant. 31 miles each way and a visit to the Mothman. I live in Winfield and used to put on a charity ride but it got to be too much work.
WOW - I didn't know this and I live here in Hurricane. Any idea when this may get up and running? Old 35 would make a great ride!
Old 12-26-20, 10:24 AM
wvridgerider

Originally Posted by Code54
WOW - I didn't know this and I live here in Hurricane. Any idea when this may get up and running? Old 35 would make a great ride!
Once the new 35 is open. I am sure there will be a public service announcement. I might ride the new 35 Sunday. I used to ride from Buffalo Bridge to Teays Valley Road before that section opened, it was neat.
Old 12-28-20, 10:18 PM
Code54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just really glad to hear Teays Valley may slowly be getting more bike friendly! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-05-21, 06:50 PM
wvridgerider

We rode the new section of 35, it is not open but paved, from Staves Branch to the end and back last Saturday. 30 or so miles. I plan on doing it again this weekend
Old 01-06-21, 08:07 PM
Code54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool - that would be a great ride before all the car get out there! Enjoy and be safe.