Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full Finger Gloves

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Full Finger Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 11:57 AM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Full Finger Gloves

I'd like to get some recommendations for full finger gloves.

My fingers don't want another winter of riding exposed to the chill. I'm in the desert, so rain, snow and freezing temps are not factors in my winter riding. Nonetheless, I've only ridden with half finger gloves, and they just don't cut it in the cold, dry air.

I think I'd prefer a glove with only modest padding. I'm also concerned with sweat becoming an issue if the glove lacks decent breathabilty. And since I don't like the stink associated with sweat-embedded gloves, I want a glove that washes well; I'd guess a full synthetic (as opposed to synthetic/leather) would be better in this regard. The selection in my area is quite limited, so I'll probably be buying online. -Thanks-
Old 12-11-09, 12:35 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by desertdork
I'd like to get some recommendations for full finger gloves.

My fingers don't want another winter of riding exposed to the chill. I'm in the desert, so rain, snow and freezing temps are not factors in my winter riding. Nonetheless, I've only ridden with half finger gloves, and they just don't cut it in the cold, dry air.

I think I'd prefer a glove with only modest padding. I'm also concerned with sweat becoming an issue if the glove lacks decent breathabilty. And since I don't like the stink associated with sweat-embedded gloves, I want a glove that washes well; I'd guess a full synthetic (as opposed to synthetic/leather) would be better in this regard. The selection in my area is quite limited, so I'll probably be buying online. -Thanks-
https://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=21-030

or

https://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=22-144
Old 12-11-09, 12:41 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
No specific suggestions, but I've found better selection looking at mountain biking full finger gloves. They are no heavier than the fingerless gloves, just full fingered. If I look in the road-bike section of gloves, the full fingers tend to start having more insulation for colder temps. I'm sure people will make good suggestions that contradict this, but this has just been my experience.
Old 12-11-09, 12:46 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider the Castelli Nano- I love mine for cooler temps:

Light, warm but breathable, and seem fairly durable. And, only $45 - 10% (coupon code XMAS or 10PBK) right now.

https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0340

A slightly heavier (and warmer) option is the Capo Wind glove, like here: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...13.1945.0.html
Old 12-11-09, 01:36 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really like my Pearl Izumi Cyclone full-finger gloves. My hands get cold easily, and the Cyclone gloves are the only ones I've found that seem to be relatively wind-proof. They're not really insulated though, so not good for super-cold temps. For me, they work well in temps down to the mid- to low-40s. Cooler than that and I start to want some insulation.

Lots of reviews seem to complain about durability, but I haven't found it to be a problem; I'm going on my second winter with them and mine still look brand-new. To clean, I put mine on, dump some dishwashing soap on the palms, wash my "hands" under warm water, then stuff them full of paper towels and leave to dry.
Old 12-11-09, 02:38 PM
MrClyde

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I really like my Pearl Izumi Cyclone full-finger gloves.
x2. I have used mine on rides that were 40 degrees when I left the house, and 70 degrees later on. They did not get too uncomfortable in the middle of the day. I got them mostly for wind, since it doesn't get colder than about 40 here.
Old 12-11-09, 03:23 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I've just bought cheap winter gloves from the local clothing or hardware store. I have 4 or 5 various pair depending on the temp. I have light 99c gloves for a slight chill, and $5 heavy duty gloves that I wear down to 25F. I got some $5 ploypro liners on sale I can add for an additional layer if I really need to. If I was cold, I'd decide I need expensive gloves, but these work.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-11-09, 03:26 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I've just bought chep gloves from the local clothing or hardware store. I have 4 or 5 various pair depending on the temp. I have light 99c gloves for a slight chill, and $5 heavy duty gloves that I wear down to 25F. I got some $5 ploypro liners on sale I can add for an additional layer if I really need to.
I like using gardening gloves over my cycling gloves. Then as my hands warm up I peel them off and shove them into a jersey pocket.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-11-09, 03:33 PM
Mhendricks

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I've just bought cheap winter gloves from the local clothing or hardware store. I have 4 or 5 various pair depending on the temp. I have light 99c gloves for a slight chill, and $5 heavy duty gloves that I wear down to 25F. I got some $5 ploypro liners on sale I can add for an additional layer if I really need to. If I was cold, I'd decide I need expensive gloves, but these work.
I have some Specialized winter gloves that are just the wind resistant type and bought silk gloves that I use as liners. Warm as Toast!
Old 12-11-09, 03:58 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
Consider the Castelli Nano- I love mine for cooler temps:

Light, warm but breathable, and seem fairly durable. And, only $45 - 10% (coupon code XMAS or 10PBK) right now.
+100000

Another recommendation, although expensive compared to many others, is the Assos early winter glove. For the money, I would get the Castelli above.
Old 12-11-09, 04:33 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Coachella Valley, your options are endless. I personally wear The North Face fleece gloves 35-50 F. They'll last you for many years You can do W-M cheaper. At your temps. you don't need windblocking membranes. If you have to have cycling padded gloves, I like Specialized for durability. Giros are good. I have a pair of PI's, with synthetic-leather, not that durable.
Old 12-11-09, 08:19 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate all replies thus far.

The first glove appears to be for colder conditions than mine. I've never thought about a wool glove for riding, though. Thanks

Originally Posted by telebianchi
No specific suggestions, but I've found better selection looking at mountain biking full finger gloves. They are no heavier than the fingerless gloves, just full fingered. If I look in the road-bike section of gloves, the full fingers tend to start having more insulation for colder temps. I'm sure people will make good suggestions that contradict this, but this has just been my experience.
Whenever I think of mountain biking gloves, I think of bulky, protective gloves so I don't bother looking in that direction. However, I think I may have based this impression on some of the downhill gloves on the market. Including mountain gloves would really broaden the selection. Thank you-

Originally Posted by DScott
Consider the Castelli Nano- I love mine for cooler temps
That's a really great looking glove - not bulky and should be plenty warm as long as it blocks the wind. Is the fabric on the palm different (and more durable) than what appears to be the fleece used for the back? I was ready to moan about the price when I looked at the Capo glove. Fortunately, the Capo is more glove than I need.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
I really like my Pearl Izumi Cyclone full-finger gloves. My hands get cold easily, and the Cyclone gloves are the only ones I've found that seem to be relatively wind-proof. They're not really insulated though, so not good for super-cold temps. For me, they work well in temps down to the mid- to low-40s. Cooler than that and I start to want some insulation.

Lots of reviews seem to complain about durability, but I haven't found it to be a problem; I'm going on my second winter with them and mine still look brand-new. To clean, I put mine on, dump some dishwashing soap on the palms, wash my "hands" under warm water, then stuff them full of paper towels and leave to dry.
Originally Posted by MrClyde
x2. I have used mine on rides that were 40 degrees when I left the house, and 70 degrees later on. They did not get too uncomfortable in the middle of the day. I got them mostly for wind, since it doesn't get colder than about 40 here.
The Cyclone looks like another great glove with some good thought in the design. I've heard complaints about PI gloves in general; the only PI gloves I own are half fingers and don't have that many rides on them yet, so they're still in fine shape. As for breathability, the Cyclone didn't rate too well on some of those reviews at the provided link, but several others said it was good (/confused). Otherwise, it sounds like the Cyclone's comfort zone is within my needs. I should try your method of glove washing.

Homebrew, Nachoman and Eclectus also have me thinking about non-cycling-specific gloves. And good point by Mhendricks IRT liners. I'll go ahead and check out what inexpensive options I can come up with locally and let Santa decide if I'm worthy of something nicer.
Old 12-11-09, 08:49 PM
bmw5nkj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like defeet duragloves. they are pretty cheap, surprisingly warm when worn alone and can also be used as liners. i just ordered a pair of regular duragloves and another pair in the merino wool version.
https://www.defeet.com/prodline.php?l...raglove&type=a
Old 12-12-09, 11:51 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
At REI there's a wide selection of gloves for all types of outdoor usage. I am currently using their branded gloves made by Polartec. Its called the All-Season Gloves. It could be worn as a glove or as a liner. Cost is 29.50 but 10% off if you're a member of REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/725050
Old 12-12-09, 01:39 PM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silk glove liners double the warmth of any glove you wear them with, and add no bulk. Be sure you trim your nails smoothly and don't wear rings with sharp edges in them- they tear easily. I strongly reccomend these. If you get too warm you can fit them in your pocket.

If it's really freezing, get some ski mittens. Ride fixed or use downtube or bar end shifters on you winter bike if you go with this option, but it really is by far the warmest. Separate fingers will be as warm. You can put ski mitts over your regular gloves, and even use silk liners too, if you need it.
Old 12-12-09, 03:24 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Know you don't have rain- but Sealskinz gloves. Waterproof and Windproof. It's that windproof bit you want and these are bike specific- and warm.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-12-09, 03:54 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Defeet dura gloves down to 40. They go right over your regular gloves so there good for cold morning starts, no padding just some rubber to help with grip and there cheap.

Old 12-13-09, 01:07 AM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmw5nkj
i like defeet duragloves. they are pretty cheap, surprisingly warm when worn alone and can also be used as liners. i just ordered a pair of regular duragloves and another pair in the merino wool version.
https://www.defeet.com/prodline.php?l...raglove&type=a
Originally Posted by clausen
I use Defeet dura gloves down to 40. They go right over your regular gloves so there good for cold morning starts, no padding just some rubber to help with grip and there cheap.
Thanks guys. I had no idea Defeet made gloves. And comfort down to 40 would be fine for my needs.
Old 12-13-09, 01:17 AM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
Silk glove liners double the warmth of any glove you wear them with, and add no bulk. Be sure you trim your nails smoothly and don't wear rings with sharp edges in them- they tear easily. I strongly reccomend these. If you get too warm you can fit them in your pocket.
Since this is yet another recommendation for silk liners, is there a particular product that is has better construction/durabilty than others? Just a quick search shows that I can get silk liners for <$7 to >$20.

Originally Posted by stapfam
Know you don't have rain- but Sealskinz gloves. Waterproof and Windproof. It's that windproof bit you want and these are bike specific- and warm.
I've worn sealskinz socks before, but not their gloves. I can locate their all-purpose "waterproof gloves" and "fleece lined chillbreaker gloves" from various sources, but the only seller of the bike-specific glove that pops up on a web search is probikekit. Surely, there must be others?

Oh, and thanks for more recommendations. I'm not making any progress on this matter this weekend, so nothing's decided yet.
Old 12-13-09, 02:36 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's a really great looking glove - not bulky and should be plenty warm as long as it blocks the wind. Is the fabric on the palm different (and more durable) than what appears to be the fleece used for the back? I was ready to moan about the price when I looked at the Capo glove. Fortunately, the Capo is more glove than I need.

The great thing about the Nano's is they definitely block wind they have no fleece or any loose knit fabric on front or back. i've got a pair of the defeet glvoes also, and think they're totally different. The nano's work better, primarily because of the wind block function. You really need to see them to know the difference.
Old 12-13-09, 08:41 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the PI Cyclone gloves are very good quality, padded and warm. I could certainly recommend them for temps down to 40-45 F. Any thing below that and they are insufficient. You will need another pair, liners, covers, or something else if you try to use the Cyclones below those temps cuz your fingers will freeze.
Old 12-13-09, 09:39 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this is yet another recommendation for silk liners, is there a particular product that is has better construction/durabilty than others? Just a quick search shows that I can get silk liners for <$7 to >$20.
Get the cheap ones, if they fit you OK. Silk is silk, as long as it's pure you'll be OK. They can ladder and tear if you abuse them, so if cheap ones are available get them. I paid £7 for mine and they rock.

I've worn sealskinz socks before, but not their gloves. I can locate their all-purpose "waterproof gloves" and "fleece lined chillbreaker gloves" from various sources, but the only seller of the bike-specific glove that pops up on a web search is probikekit. Surely, there must be others?.
My mate wears the ordinary sealskinz work gloves on the bike and loves them. I think the bike ones are just the same but with a terry cloth and some annoying lump of padding, and cost tweece as much.
Old 12-13-09, 10:28 AM
gtofan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duluth Trading...can't go wrong. Not the most practical in all conditions but I have good luck with the gloves.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...s-for-men.aspx

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ended_products
Old 12-13-09, 10:34 AM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant believe no one has suggested mechanix gloves available at auto parts stores or home improvement warehouses. I got some knock off mecahnix gloves for sale $5 at Harbor frieght. THey are great when its not too cold. Excellent grip, durability and tactile feel. They have many different models to suit your tastes. THey are great for mountain biking and better than the knit varieties like the defeet shown above. I stitched in reflective strips in the glove and they are my exclusive winter time commuting glove. Keeps the hands from getting chapped, breathe well and good to about 30F.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...oves&FORM=BIFD

Last edited by tj90; 12-13-09 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-13-09, 11:43 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtofan
Duluth Trading...can't go wrong. Not the most practical in all conditions but I have good luck with the gloves.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...s-for-men.aspx

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ended_products

+1 on these. I rode with them yesterday when I left by cyclones in my wife's car. Only my fingertips got a little cold, and that was only after 20 miles on the way back home in sub 30 degree weather with wind. Not bad IMHO for the price either. And, they're great for chopping firewood!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.