Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Old 04-10-14, 07:58 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use flash or pulse. Too distracting. You probably have yours aimed too low. You want it just high enough to avoid drivers flashing their high beams at you. That is how I set mine. Put it up high enough to bother the drivers then drop it down until it doesn't. Make a note of where the beam begins and use that as the set point.
Old 04-10-14, 08:16 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had to use a flashy on the front either. My Niterider does just fine because of it being so bright, but I mount it on the top of my bars. I point it enough at the road that I can see ahead of me (not where I'm at currently), but also so when I'm approaching road signs they light up (reflection). If the road signs are reflecting back, then drivers can see your light.
Old 04-10-14, 09:00 AM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
almost got tail-ended during my evening commute, and then almost got hit by a car who blew through a stop-sign and was making a left turn

all this after pretty much event free riding for the first 18 months in northern VA. I now got some serious incentive not to bike so late
Must have been something in the air last night. I was going up a small climb on a narrow back road just a half mile from home last night. Obviously it was a "blind" area. Car comes up behind and some a$$hat on a Harley blows by the car that is trying to pass me (did I mention it was a blind area). A car appears at the top of the hill. A$$hat Harley rider just about gets taken out. Horns are honking brakes screeching. Luckily it was all just past me (by feet). It's a sure bet who would have been taken out in that whole cluster**** had things gone just a little bit more sideways.

You'd think the a$$hat on the Harley would effing know better.

Due to my lack of fitness I couldn't get up the hill fast enough to catch any of these jerks and kick their asses
Old 04-10-14, 09:06 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanders
I found this on the site.

It's for the Saturday crits.

The Friday crits are an up and back around the traffic circle and back down towards Old Salem shown on Google maps. Just like Champs de Elysian.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...10117,0.021576
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I wrote the guy several times over the past few weeks. I'm like, uh, I'm from out of town and I'd like to do your race. Help me find it?

odd.

I'm seeing this as the Friday course.
https://www.winstonsalemcycling.com/w...geMenTeams.pdf
Old 04-10-14, 09:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'm seeing this as the Friday course.
https://www.winstonsalemcycling.com/w...geMenTeams.pdf

That would be a pretty weird criterium.
Old 04-10-14, 09:32 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be a pretty weird criterium.
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on.
Old 04-10-14, 09:35 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks pretty...

Old 04-10-14, 09:36 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
It looks pretty...

Sharp...does the 3D fit direct w/o apapters into BB86? I think 3D+ is BB30?
Old 04-10-14, 09:48 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost got taken out yesterday too... in broad daylight, I'm going straight, car on the intersecting street on my right decides to ignore his stop sign and turn right in front of me. Enough time for me to see it coming and I made it over to the yellow line before he was in my lane. Scary!
Old 04-10-14, 09:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by ljrichar
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on.
I think that is the circuit for the Pro RR, which is also being held on Friday, at about the same time as the amateur crits.
Old 04-10-14, 09:58 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Sharp...does the 3D fit direct w/o apapters into BB86? I think 3D+ is BB30?
yes, my bike is BB86.
Old 04-10-14, 11:10 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
I almost got taken out yesterday too... in broad daylight, I'm going straight, car on the intersecting street on my right decides to ignore his stop sign and turn right in front of me. Enough time for me to see it coming and I made it over to the yellow line before he was in my lane. Scary!
I've always said it's more dangerous to ride during the day than at night. I'm lite up like a Christmas tree at night. During the day, I can very easily blend into the surroundings at times.
Old 04-10-14, 02:49 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think that is the circuit for the Pro RR, which is also being held on Friday, at about the same time as the amateur crits.
Yes. That is the 7 mile circuit course. Ugly up and down, uglier corners, with plenty of crappy pavement. Should be fun to watch from the 14th floor.
Old 04-10-14, 03:19 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

So I'll be in Chapel Hill starting Monday. Unfortunately, given a ridiculously aggressive meeting schedule it seems unlikely I'll have much socializing time beyond when I roll into town. My rides will mostly (I only have to train two days) be just dropping the rollers where I'm staying as my time is really limited and I can't afford too many hems and haws saying 'where am I?'

If anyone is into meeting up Monday I should roll in by 6:00pm and I'm going to grab dinner somewhere. Hopefully some good local fare. My wife suggested some chicken place or something. So if anyone is free and wants to break bread, or chicken, let's see what we can put together.

As of now my plan is to skip town Thursday when my meeting ends and begin the drive back to NJ on route for New England crit racing.
Old 04-10-14, 03:44 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question: Can anyone register for Nationals or is there a qualifying standard? I would love to go to Masters Nationals in Ogden in September but I'm wondering if I have to do a qualifying race or something?
Old 04-10-14, 03:50 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

you may need to be a 3. for sure at least a 4.
Old 04-10-14, 04:49 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Question: Can anyone register for Nationals or is there a qualifying standard? I would love to go to Masters Nationals in Ogden in September but I'm wondering if I have to do a qualifying race or something?
how old are you? i think if you are 55+ or 60+ there is no category requirement. for all others you must be a 3 or better. (for the TT, given the relatively new rule about anyone being able to enter a standalone TT in whatever category they prefer, i *think* anyone may be able to enter.)

i'm thinking they may use the antelope island TT course that was used a few years back (and may have been used for the collegiate nationals TTT recently, if i'm not mistaken). that's the word i had about 6 months ago. not sure what is up now.
Old 04-10-14, 04:50 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I'll be in Chapel Hill starting Monday. Unfortunately, given a ridiculously aggressive meeting schedule it seems unlikely I'll have much socializing time beyond when I roll into town. My rides will mostly (I only have to train two days) be just dropping the rollers where I'm staying as my time is really limited and I can't afford too many hems and haws saying 'where am I?'

If anyone is into meeting up Monday I should roll in by 6:00pm and I'm going to grab dinner somewhere. Hopefully some good local fare. My wife suggested some chicken place or something. So if anyone is free and wants to break bread, or chicken, let's see what we can put together.

As of now my plan is to skip town Thursday when my meeting ends and begin the drive back to NJ on route for New England crit racing.

Cook out. You should definitely eat at cook out.
Old 04-10-14, 04:56 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
how old are you? i think if you are 55+ or 60+ there is no category requirement. for all others you must be a 3 or better. (for the TT, given the relatively new rule about anyone being able to enter a standalone TT in whatever category they prefer, i *think* anyone may be able to enter.)

i'm thinking they may use the antelope island TT course that was used a few years back (and may have been used for the collegiate nationals TTT recently, if i'm not mistaken). that's the word i had about 6 months ago. not sure what is up now.
Thanks. I'm racing age 40 and I'm a Cat 2.
So is it an omnium or stage race? or can you just race the road race? I looked at results from last year and I can't figure out if it's individual events or if you have to do the TT as well?
Old 04-10-14, 05:00 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm racing age 40 and I'm a Cat 2.
So is it an omnium or stage race? or can you just race the road race? I looked at results from last year and I can't figure out if it's individual events or if you have to do the TT as well?
awesome. we'll be racing together. look forward to meeting you.

the events are all individual. there is some best all-around rider but it is really not a thing as many skip the TT, for example.

i am hopeful that the format is the same as last year -- our TT on wed and RR on thurs, as i have a 204-mile RR on saturday that is a bit of an obligation. due to a scheduling change, tuesday is my son's first day of kindergarten, so instead of setting up there monday i suspect i may be driving in tuesday night to race. ah well!

it's a REALLY fun scene. no one shows up there by accident. 40-44 can have the fastest TT on the day, although 2 particularly fast riders moved up to 45-49 this year. the top guys in every field are always there. EXCELLENT competition. the rumored road stage is also a really good one, if it works out.
Old 04-10-14, 05:06 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
awesome. we'll be racing together. look forward to meeting you.

the events are all individual. there is some best all-around rider but it is really not a thing as many skip the TT, for example.

i am hopeful that the format is the same as last year -- our TT on wed and RR on thurs, as i have a 204-mile RR on saturday that is a bit of an obligation. due to a scheduling change, tuesday is my son's first day of kindergarten, so instead of setting up there monday i suspect i may be driving in tuesday night to race. ah well!

it's a REALLY fun scene. no one shows up there by accident. 40-44 can have the fastest TT on the day, although 2 particularly fast riders moved up to 45-49 this year. the top guys in every field are always there. EXCELLENT competition. the rumored road stage is also a really good one, if it works out.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and make it happen. I just started racing this year (I'm female btw) so I wasn't planning on it but I saw a link on the USAC page and Ogden is a doable drive for us and a part of the country I'd like to visit.
Old 04-10-14, 05:08 PM
shovelhd

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back before Fudgy was born, yes, you had to qualify. It's been an open race for a while though. Cat3 or higher up to 50-55 then Cat4 or higher from 55-60 and up. The Senior Games is a qualifier event, top four from each state.

I'm thinking about Ogden. No plans as yet.
Old 04-10-14, 05:31 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and make it happen. I just started racing this year (I'm female btw) so I wasn't planning on it but I saw a link on the USAC page and Ogden is a doable drive for us and a part of the country I'd like to visit.
clearly you haven't been to ogden before.

the drive from phoenix isn't too bad. i've done the drive from wyoming to phoenix 3x in the past 14 months. if you're only going to ogden that shaves 4 of about 15-16h.
Old 04-10-14, 05:31 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Back before Fudgy was born, yes, you had to qualify. It's been an open race for a while though. Cat3 or higher up to 50-55 then Cat4 or higher from 55-60 and up. The Senior Games is a qualifier event, top four from each state.

I'm thinking about Ogden. No plans as yet.
lemme know. i may get a house. have a bunch of people who are interested but not sure who will actually materialize.
Old 04-10-14, 05:51 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

They have chicken at Golden Corral. I'm about an hour away. Barring the unforeseen, in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.