Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why no love for the Specialized Turbo S?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why no love for the Specialized Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 01:48 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Ray, I know what you mean about stealth.

I saw my first turbo S about a week ago. It wasn't until I had driven a few minutes down the road, that I sundenly realized, Hey - that was the specialized! At a glance it just looked like a guy riding a nice bike.

And yeah, somes of the home built stuff is goofy, and the qualiity of the kit parts certainly isn't up to a high end off the shelf build. (e3mev.com does have some very high quality kits though.)

My bikes are pretty darn good looking though (Hey, I'm biased). But, when I start with a high end Specialized and Klein, I'm going to make something clean and good looking. There is almost no way to tell my bikes are electric, but it confuses cars* when I'm drafting behind them doing 25-30mph, or coming at them at twice the speed of the average bike.

*confuses cars, and really irritates pickup trucks, although they have a huge wind shadow behind them. Got to draft off an electric chrysler minivan (prototype) yesterday - nice wind shadow, quiet, and no exhaust fumes!
Old 08-03-16, 02:01 PM
Ray_R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you hide the battery on your bikes?
Old 08-03-16, 06:20 PM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm......noticed today that the Turbo S (or X or std) is no longer listed on the Specialized website.
Maybe a website issue? Maybe just me? I know the LBS lists the 2017 models as in-stock and available. Maybe they're lowering the price? ;~)

Edit: They're all listed in the archive section now. Hmmm.....maybe discounts are eminent?

Last edited by Ray_R; 08-03-16 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 09:45 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I rode a Turbo S earlier this year. Haven't had a chance to ride a Kalkhoff yet. Loved Raliegh Misceo iE electric shifting and reset to starting gear after stopping (Sweet!). Focus looks great on paper...

Best of luck with your new Turbo S!
Old 08-04-16, 10:25 AM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.....we thought we had a decision made on the Turbo S. That was until we noticed they looked to be discontinuing the hub driven models. Now we're back re-evaluating our choices.

If Specialized doesn't have love for the Turbo S.......
Old 08-04-16, 10:33 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Swiss-made motor should last a long time. Could be some real deals on close-outs. There's nothing wrong with a hub for road use unless severe hills are part of the equation.
Old 08-04-16, 10:43 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you and the wife need a VEGAS TRIP BABY!

Interbike is in Las Vegas next month. You can see all the E-bikes at one location, plus have a VEGAS of a time doing so.
Old 08-04-16, 12:39 PM
gofast262

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my local bike shop: the transition of 2016 to 2017 models for Specialized is in August. As of today, you can order a 2017 Turbo S if you like. List price is same as before, as is the color. Not sure what/if any updates to bike...

Originally Posted by Ray_R
Hmmm......noticed today that the Turbo S (or X or std) is no longer listed on the Specialized website.
Maybe a website issue? Maybe just me? I know the LBS lists the 2017 models as in-stock and available. Maybe they're lowering the price? ;~)

Edit: They're all listed in the archive section now. Hmmm.....maybe discounts are eminent?
Old 08-04-16, 12:56 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've had a Turbo S for about 18 months and still like the bicycle. I switch between a road bike and the e-bike and the handing is more similar than the other I tried. I haven't had any issue on hills with a hub motor but I was only looking for a reduction in effort and time for a long commute and don't mind if the hill are a little more work.
Old 08-04-16, 02:48 PM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gofast262
From my local bike shop: the transition of 2016 to 2017 models for Specialized is in August. As of today, you can order a 2017 Turbo S if you like. List price is same as before, as is the color. Not sure what/if any updates to bike...
Which bike shop? All the Specialized shops in my area say the Turbo S models in the warehouse are all 2017 models. And there are only a limited number of the various frame sizes left, with the 2017 medium size frames sold out. No discounts yet.

It makes me, and the shops as well, think either Specialized is discontinuing this model, or they'll be replacing it with something "better".

Personally, I'd speculate they'll replace it with the same or similar mid-drive unit they use in the Levo models.
Old 08-04-16, 05:11 PM
gofast262

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Chain in NC. But what you are saying and the fact that Specialized is not listing any non-Levo Turbo's on their website has got me very curious and not believing the info my bike shop relayed to me. For clarification, you mean 2016's in your message below, right? Maybe they are maneuvering for something new...or we are overthinking what we see/hear. Time will tell!

Which bike shop? All the Specialized shops in my area say the Turbo S models in the warehouse are all 2017 models. And there are only a limited number of the various frame sizes left, with the 2017 medium size frames sold out. No discounts yet.

It makes me, and the shops as well, think either Specialized is discontinuing this model, or they'll be replacing it with something "better".

Personally, I'd speculate they'll replace it with the same or similar mid-drive unit they use in the Levo models.
Old 08-04-16, 06:11 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Google search gave me this?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...bo-s-ce/106434

Looks like this Specialized site is still listing it...
Old 08-04-16, 06:14 PM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. 2017 model is right...and based on what the dealer can see listed as warehouse inventory. I'm in Oregon, so I'm not sure how the Specialized warehousing system works. One for all dealers? Several based on region? I don't know.

Google will still list the web page. But if you navigate through the specialized site, you'll see it's not listed under Turbo, but can be found in the bike archive section.

Another interesting tidbit is I also made a comment on the pedelec forum. The folks in the UK say their Specialized website no longer shows them either.

Last edited by Ray_R; 08-04-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 08:08 PM
2old

FWIT (probably nothing), I had heard (can't remember where) that Specialized was going all mid-drive for 2017. Didn't register much with me since I hadn't planned on a new Specialized.
Old 08-04-16, 08:46 PM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I decided to give the Optibike SIMBB 29R a go. We ordered them today, and were told they would likely be ready for pickup the end of September. I figure with their "try it for 45 days and if you don't like it, return for full refund" policy, we don't have much to lose. We'll make a trip to Boulder to pick them up in person, give them a try, and if we don't like them, we get a refund and move on.
I've been viewing as many forums as I can find to get some owner feedback on this model. But so far I can't find anything.

Last edited by Ray_R; 08-04-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 12:46 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
... the Optibike SIMBB 29R.... I've been viewing as many forums as I can find to get some owner feedback on this model. But so far I can't find anything.
There is a message in that. Mechanical and electronic technology is very much common knowledge, there is no voodoo. There are many ways to pitch an e-bike and in the end when the dust settles it's still just a motorized bicycle. From a practical perspective, instead of a SIMBB 29R you could pick a standard bicycle best suited to your needs and ergonomics, and then have a shop ad a Bafang mid-drive system. You'll have a lot of lunch money left over and not be hampered by a proprietary e-bike that could become an obsolete orphan like so many others in the past. Keep in mind that nothing ages faster than electronics, and the more you invest the more you'll lose.
Old 08-05-16, 07:50 AM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get what you're saying. Electronics can become obsolete overnight. There's always "better" coming out. But, in my case anyway, I look for a product that meets my current needs now, and will also meet them in the distant future. For example, the sound system in my house is over 25 years old. I have a McIntosh tube tuner/preamp, Martin Logan speakers, etc. etc.. All the components sounded great 25 years ago. And they still sound great to me today. Yeah, I had to add a couple of components when cassette tapes went to CD/DVD and other digital formats. But the core system remains the same. In the case of the SIMBB bike, I see a belt drive, Rohloff hub, solid frame, and components that will last a long time for my needs. And it's got the stealth look we like. It should be plenty fast and powerful. The only non-proven part is the SIMBB unit itself. But Jim Turner seems to me to be a pretty smart guy who has a track record of designing quality stuff. I'd rather spend a lot of lunch money once to get a quality product that lasts a long time versus spending money over and over again just to get the latest and greatest technological wizardry.
The biggest question for me is how well the overall bike integrates with the rider and their pedaling. That was the beauty of the Turbo S. In my mind, Specialized got that piece right. We'll find out how well Optibike did when we test them in late September.

BTW...2old is right. Specialized is moving to all mid-drive bikes now. Looks like they're calling them the Turbo Vado.

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...ado-2017.5163/

Last edited by Ray_R; 08-05-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 08:47 AM
2old

Ray, keep us informed of your "journey". Looked at the SIMBB system and noticed that it's 26 mph, throttle only unless they're changing for 2017. That would be a moped in CA, what about OR? Also amazed that they have all the components in the hub; makes for a stealthy system, but heat dissipation will be interesting.

Last edited by 2old; 08-05-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 09:11 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Where do you hide the battery on your bikes?
I use a frame bag, although the battery is 1/3 the size of the bag, so I could get a smaller one. I'm kinda liking the storage options of a frame bag for a long distance commuter bike. I'm not fan of panniers at speed.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...hp?f=3&t=49691

Here is my specialized turbo:
Old 08-05-16, 10:03 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Ray, keep us informed of your "journey". Looked at the SIMBB system and noticed that it's 26 mph, throttle only unless they're changing for 2017. That would be a moped in CA, what about OR? Also amazed that they have all the components in the hub; makes for a stealthy system, but heat dissipation will be interesting.
Ditto, keep us posted...

Like 2old says and the Court video sates, this is NOT a PAS electric, but a throttled electric moped with pedals. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want; although I didn't get that impression for your OP. Now you're over $9,000 per bike with tax ($18,000 for two!).

Holy smokes Ray. Do keep us posted... And please let us know YOU know what you are buying.
Old 08-05-16, 10:38 AM
Ray_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done, Chas! Stealthy indeed!

When I spoke with Jim, he indicated the SIMBB has 5 levels of pedal assist, plus the throttle.
I agree the Court video shows something different. That was early production though. There must have been some updates since then. We'll see for sure when we ride them next month. Jim is also going to send me contact info for some existing owners. I'll get their impressions as well.
It was just shy of $7k per bike. So less than the Turbo S. Optibike is having a 20% off summer sale. We don't have sales tax in Oregon.
Oregon laws are totally different than California. Oregon basically says, if it has pedals, it's a bicycle.
I realize I'm taking the word of the company owner for most of this data. But I haven't read or heard anyone who could give me good reason not to trust him. I know they were late delivering pre-ordered bikes earlier this year due to some parts availability issues. And I checked BBB and they had 3 complaints. All seemed to be product delivery related. But other than that, nothing but praise for their products as well as their service after the sale. If someone out there has an Optibike horror story, I'm all ears!

Last edited by Ray_R; 08-05-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 02:34 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
...If someone out there has an Optibike horror story, I'm all ears!
You may get some feedback at endless - sphere dot com.
Old 08-06-16, 07:21 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad you confirmed it isn't throttle only as Courts video states. Optibike might want to remove that video from their site and/or update it. Sounds like you have a pair of super expensive E-bikes that are going to make you and the wife happy. Life is all about happiness! A trip to Interbike in Las Vegas still might be fun during your wait. At least you can see, touch , feel and ride the bike they will be delivering shortly after. Enjoy!
Old 08-08-16, 12:04 AM
nimbuzz

Bikes: Optibike R11 and Prodeco Outlaw 48 V

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, Ask Jim Turner. I've known him for years and he's a straight up guy who tells you how things work but doesn't usually try to sell much.
--I love the Rohloff big time for ebikes. I ride in hills but like it everywhere. Yes, on the flats I'll often pump it up 2,3 or more gears with my 1100 watt bike. It works perfectly and has a strong longtime rep for being bulletproof--hand made in Germany. When you are stopped you can effortlessly crank it into any gear--even from 1st to 14th.
I think it's great how you and your wife are trying so many bikes out--keep having fun doing it and think of what types of riding and trips you might possibly do. On the narrow hilly roads of coastal California I had quit riding bikes on the road cuz I couldn't relax with cars flying up behind me. Thus I like 48 volt ebikes that go around 30 mph and greatly reduce how fast cars overtake me and how many pass me at all.
I use a throttle myself but I grew up with motorbikes and love the control. Some bikes have the option of a switch for throttle or pedal assist.
I'm like you in that when I buy anything I do major research. I find that out of all the complex possible choices there comes a time when one of the choices shines through and is obviously the only one--takes patience. There are a bunch of solid opinions on this forum but of course we each have our own situation and druthers. I personally only want my American made Optibike 1100R but I like my suspension even for the road, my 14 speed Rohloff and a mid drive. But my (& my wife's) Prodeco SS 48 volt, 28 mph is a good well made ebike. A non geared hub motor has a wonderful thing in its silence--the wind in your hair and the tires on the road are all you hear--awesome! The mid drives and geared hubs have an advantage in efficiency and hill climbing but have a humm/buzz of some kind from the gears.

The Optibike 1100R is like a fine machine = good camera, German car & etc. Every time I use the Avid hydraulic brakes, shift the Rohloff, feel the Fox suspension working or use the dual headlight connected to the battery it clicks like a fine machine--even after years of riding--you get what you pay for. But many of these other bikes suggested here are great and we each have our priorities. I don't ride off road but appreciate my full Fox suspension. When you are coming down a mountain, maybe it is wet or dark, you have a load of groceries and you come upon a pot hole or tree branch the suspension is golden. Same for riding in a city like San Francisco = hills, trolly tracks, rough pavement & etc I love at least front suspension, 48 volts, at least 750 watts (prefer 1000 myself for making safe moves in traffic, keeping up with traffic and hills) and Schwalbe Marathon tires (I can get a very good tire for $30 but rather spend $60 and get the best for grip, road feel, puncture proof and long life)

I haven't ridden the SIMMB or Pioneer but have enjoyed two other Optis for 7 years now.

Anyway, keep looking, listening, testing and thinking--what a bunch of GREAT choices!! Having a custom build is another GREAT adventure! If you go that route maybe get opinions here again.

Hey, why not check craig's list for a couple of ebikes used and start riding to find out all about it and what you really want. Then sell them and get your hot choices without taking the price hit if you need to sell a new one. Or check the local ebike shop for used.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Last edited by nimbuzz; 08-08-16 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 04:44 PM
nimbuzz

Bikes: Optibike R11 and Prodeco Outlaw 48 V

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know someone selling a good used Optibike 1100R in SF Bay Area, CA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.