Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrapping bar tape

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wrapping bar tape

Old 05-16-17, 09:55 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Wrapping bar tape

I wrap my tape by starting at the top, tucking the start end underneath the tape, and ending at the bottom.
This way I avoid using the sticky tape which sometimes loosens with wear etc.
I know this is not the conventional way to wrap bar tape, but the only disadvantage of starting on the top is if you need to replace shifter or brake cables you have to remove all the tape otherwise you just remove it up to the shifter.
Views are appreciated.
Old 05-16-17, 10:00 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I find that when I ride, my hand pressure is out and down. Wrapping it your way, I pull up the edges of the tape. Wrapping from the ends up, the overlap is the other way, and not a problem.
Old 05-16-17, 10:06 AM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I find that when I ride, my hand pressure is out and down. Wrapping it your way, I pull up the edges of the tape. Wrapping from the ends up, the overlap is the other way, and not a problem.
+1 bottom to top. keeps the tape from gapping on the top corner from my hand pressure
Old 05-16-17, 10:20 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
This is why they make replacement trim tape.
Old 05-16-17, 10:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
I wrap my tape by starting at the top, tucking the start end underneath the tape, and ending at the bottom.
I know this is not the conventional way to wrap bar tape, but the only disadvantage of starting on the top is if you need to replace shifter or brake cables you have to remove all the tape otherwise you just remove it up to the shifter.
Views are appreciated.
This is the way I've wrapped for years. I think it looks cleaner without the adhesive tape...that usually comes off as you said. Never have any issues with the edges rolling up due to hand pressure as long as I keep it tight enough.

Dan
Old 05-16-17, 10:34 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This is why they make replacement trim tape.
I know I am new to this (hence the large red "Newbie" label under my name), but isn't trim tape nothing more than electrical tape? I just re wrapped my bars yesterday an used straight up electrical tape because I wanted to wrap it really well and the supplied 4 inches of trim tape that came with the wrap wasn't enough.
Old 05-16-17, 10:39 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
I know I am new to this (hence the large red "Newbie" label under my name), but isn't trim tape nothing more than electrical tape? I just re wrapped my bars yesterday an used straight up electrical tape because I wanted to wrap it really well and the supplied 4 inches of trim tape that came with the wrap wasn't enough.
Mostly. Although the stuff at the art supply store comes in more colors and shapes. It does get kind of gummy after a while but the new trim tape covers up the gummy stuff every time.
Old 05-16-17, 10:50 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Electrical tape adhesive gets really soft when it gets warm...like on a hot summer day, and/or when it's been warmed by your hands. That causes it to come un-stuck usually. The trim tape that comes with the bar tape (usually) has an adhesive that is stickier, and doesn't get that way. And they only give a few inches per side because if everything is done correctly that's all you should need.

Dan
Old 05-16-17, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1) I've been in the bottom to top Clan for 30 + years.. (I use bar end shifters)

You can seek out Self Fusing tape to finish it.
Old 05-16-17, 10:53 AM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I've never had a problem with the bar tape loosening. I always wrap it from back to front on top so the hand pressure doesn't loosen it.
Old 05-16-17, 11:33 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1) I've been in the bottom to top Clan for 30 + years.. (I use bar end shifters)

You can seek out Self Fusing tape to finish it.

+1, self-fusing silicone tape, 1001 uses. Sticks to itself so no adhesive to bleed or get sticky. Comes off clean with a razor blade.
Old 05-16-17, 11:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
I go bottom to top, use electrical tape to finish. I rarely rife with my hand that far in so it getting soft in hot weather in not much of an issue and it is so cheap, replacing it isn't a big deal.

One thing I do obsess over is how I wrap it. The bar tape itself I wrap as follows - I start from the right side bar end counter clockwise looking from the rear, left side opposite so the tape comes across the top of the bar end pointing in. I wrap the electrical tape in the same direction as the bar tape, three times around and finish just behind the brake cable under the tops. That way the tape is coming over the tops pointing back and my wrists tend to tighten both the bar tape and electrical tape when I pull on them hill climbing on the tops.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-16-17, 12:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That way the tape is coming over the tops pointing back and my wrists tend to tighten both the bar tape and electrical tape when I pull on them hill climbing on the tops.

Ben
The way I remember this is that wherever your thumbs point where you grab the bars, that's the direction the tape should wrap at that location.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-16-17, 12:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
The way I remember this is that wherever your thumbs point where you grab the bars, that's the direction the tape should wrap at that location.
Thumbs up! I haven't heard that but I like!

Ben
Old 05-16-17, 02:15 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's actually incorrect, as much as I fear to disagree with Scott.

On the drops, it's opposite of what you say. Think about it, if you're in the drops you are twisting OUT (down on the outside of the bar), therefore the bars need to be wrapped in that direction. When you on the tops you're twisting DOWN (like a motorcycle throttle), therefore the bars need to be wrapped in that direction.

In the latter, the bars are wrapped in the direction of you thumbs, in the former, it's opposite.

You always wrap in the direction that you grip or the direction that the force is going. So if the force is going clockwise (in the drops on the right hand side) that's how you wrap. If you wrap it the other way, you are effectively "unravelling" the wrap when you REALLY grip the bars.

Also, a trick to keep the finishing tape (at the top) from unraveling is to heat up the end of a spoke with a lighter, then burn in two short "slots" into the tape (with the hot end of the spoke). It'll melt all the layers of the tape together and make it near impossible to unravel.

Lastly, a trick if you crash a lot and tear up your bar tape. Wrap the bar FIRST with electrical tape INSIDE OUT. So wrap with the sticky side UP, not down. Then wrap the bar normally with bar tape. Now whenever you tear your bar tape it'll stay put because it'll be attached to the upside down tape underneath of it.

I follow this site when I get confused. As far as I know, it's the "correct" way to wrap bar tape. But of course, to each their own.

EDIT: This site goes over wrapping the RIGHT side of the bars. That confused me at first. On the left side it wouldn't be clockwise, it'd be counterclockwise at the bottom.
https://www.condorcycles.com/blogs/j...tape-perfectly

EDIT: Reading through that site, I've found I don't follow it exactly. They do the finishing tape differently. I wrap the finishing tape in the same direction as the bar tape, they seem to do the opposite, which is weird. I also don't overlap the finishing tape over the edge of the bar tape. I leave the edge naked (unless it's a light colored tape, then I'll color it with a black sharpie.) So basically the edge of the finishing tape lines up with the edge of the bar tape. I always finish the finishing tape on the front bottom of the bars, so I don't see it when riding, and I'm unlikely to ever touch that part of the bars as well.

Last edited by corrado33; 05-16-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 02:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by corrado33

On the drops, it's opposite of what you say. Think about it, if you're in the drops you are twisting OUT (down on the outside of the bar), therefore the bars need to be wrapped in that direction. When you on the tops you're twisting DOWN (like a motorcycle throttle), therefore the bars need to be wrapped in that direction.

Yeah, on the drops (below the brakes) it could go either way... that is it generally goes both ways. It seems to me that I pull in on them more than pushing out. Do not fear disagreeing with me - HA!
Old 05-16-17, 02:38 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, on the drops (below the brakes) it could go either way... that is it generally goes both ways. It seems to me that I pull in on them more than pushing out. Do not fear disagreeing with me - HA!
Interesting, I most certainly twist OUT when in the drops. I suppose it's personal preference!
Old 05-16-17, 03:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I wrap my bars the way I used to see racers wrap their bars back in the 70's.

They changed their tape often enough that they didn't worry about direction too much unless it became a problem and used as little tape as possible.

And they never bothered with the extra piece under the brake hood. They just left a gap. They called it cleavage, and it is sexy as hell.

Old 05-16-17, 03:39 PM
peloton52

Bikes: Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone use those new gel pads I saw that you put on the top of the bar before you wrap it? Just wondering how effective they are. On my past centuries I put two layers of foam pipe insulation over the top of the bars. It doesn't even last the whole day but helps a little.
Old 05-16-17, 05:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by peloton52
Anyone use those new gel pads I saw that you put on the top of the bar before you wrap it? Just wondering how effective they are. On my past centuries I put two layers of foam pipe insulation over the top of the bars. It doesn't even last the whole day but helps a little.

I just double wrap the tops. Its easy, buy some cheap as you can find cork/bar tape, then wrap the tops only. I go from the hoods to the stem but I don't overlap it because then it gets to thick IMO. I keep it flat on the first wrap then lizard skins on the actual finished wrap and I got nothing but comfort!
Old 05-16-17, 05:58 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Oh good.....I've been doing it right.
Old 05-16-17, 06:03 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33

Really? When I'm on the tops I twist forward if anything. Tops are only for a relaxed riding position therefore I'm sitting up and extending the arms for the most part, not pulling down.
Old 05-16-17, 06:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
I always use electrical tape for exactly the reason you stated. I haven't had a problem with it. Some off brands get nasty and are a mess when you try to remove them, but I haven't had that issue with 3M electrical tape.
Old 05-16-17, 06:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Oh good.....I've been doing it right.
Confused.. if i close my hand around the bar, my thumb points opposite direction to if hands are resting but not clenched around the bar.
Old 05-16-17, 06:54 PM
pmt
Experienced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ALWAYS top to bottom; much cleaner and easier, and it doesn't roll if you use a quality professional tape such as Fizik Superlight. That tape can last for years!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.