Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Still Fuming and attitude towards female riders (maybe?)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Still Fuming and attitude towards female riders (maybe?)

Old 09-28-19, 10:06 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
Honestly though is that even a thing? Why can’t girls and women just go for a bike ride without even having to worry about it?
You are joking right? Not saying that a woman shouldn't be able to go out and not be hit on, but truly everywhere a woman goes throughout the day, she is probably being hit on. Not to burst the bubble, but some guys (not all) that are nice to women are really thinking, "How can I get her number?...if she is nice back then maybe I got a shot...". I have seen this happen so often you can literally sit in a grocery store or the Apple Store and watch the guys hit on women all day...99.9% of it is harmless and no big deal, but every once in a while it gets creepy.
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 09-29-19, 12:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I do see "flirting," but not innocent or honorable. More like cutting her out from her safe group and negging her. Like jrhoneOC above says, this **** goes on all the time every day.

This has nothing to do with bicycles, really.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-29-19, 07:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
More than likely, yes. I don’t mind, but it is nice to have company once in a while.
I can understand that. What would it hurt to give the group another try, with your original riding buddy along? It might discourage the socially inept advances and let you enjoy the ride.
Old 09-29-19, 09:42 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
Honestly though is that even a thing? Why can’t girls and women just go for a bike ride without even having to worry about it?
What do you mean?
Old 10-09-19, 12:46 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Bobby Kennedy had a joke:
What’s the first thing you hear when you get to hell? OK, everyone form into small groups!
Old 10-09-19, 01:42 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Sounds like a well organized and led ride! That's pretty sweet. That sucks about mansplainin' roadie dude.

That said, I think there's a lot of defense for mansplainin' dude in this thread. The point isn't that he's the devil incarnate, but he was for sure pulling out the most common, banal, low intensity sexist crap that women swim in at nearly all times. I want to encourage you to tell him off or try to have a conversation about his behavior, but that's a lot of work to ask women to do to fix men's problems, particularly considering too many men are insecure and violent bags of crap. It might be a good idea to tell one of the reasonable dudes about how this guy came off to you--honestly, I think men like this sometimes unfortunately hear feedback about their behavior better from other men.

Hope you have a lot more fun riding. Also don't get turned off on road riding if you're interested in it, my experience has been that organized road riders often do a very good job at both gender inclusion and accommodating varying experience and fitness levels. Average social awareness and skills seems pretty similar between the two groups in my experience--that's to say, they vary.
Old 10-09-19, 06:25 AM
Fen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was well organized, and fun, aside from that one dude. I haven’t been back to another group ride, there have been other events out of town that I’ve attended. I’m registered for a skills clinic this weekend. We’ll see if he’s there. If yes, I’ll just stay away.

I have been interested to read the reactions, though. Perhaps I sometimes read more into things in terms of sexism, but I work in a male-dominant field, so I think I have a pretty good read on things. I generally let things go without much thought unless it’s blatant. This was more subtle. It’s just really annoying that women need to even consider gender at all on a group ride.
Old 10-09-19, 09:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Good thing this wasn't a work environment. Otherwise you would be running straight to HR, complaining over some harmless conversation with a male co-worker... effectively ruining his employment and career.
HTFU
Old 10-09-19, 09:49 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Good thing this wasn't a work environment. Otherwise you would be running straight to HR, complaining over some harmless conversation with a male co-worker... effectively ruining his employment and career.
HTFU
I'm glad you got that in. Do you feel better now?
Old 10-09-19, 10:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
HTFU
If this happens enough, maybe men will start realizing what comes out of their mouths matters.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-09-19, 10:46 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm glad you got that in. Do you feel better now?
Yep. We all could have done without that.
Old 10-09-19, 10:52 AM
Fen

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pickettt
Yep. We all could have done without that.
Agreed, but hey I'm just a chick over reacting so what do I know. [/sarcastic]
Old 10-09-19, 11:09 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
You are overreacting. Next time open your mouth and say "leave me alone" and then if he/she/they persists, you could come here and complain. Your recollection of your experience just reads like passive-aggressiveness with post-process irritation for no reason.

The middle group goes on and then it's me, the teenager, the roadie, and the sweep. We're all pretty evenly matched, and take turns in the lead. I joke to the sweep that he's never going to take us out again. He laughs and says that's not true. He's having a great time and getting to practice his coaching skills. The roadie asks if the sweep and I are married. We say no, we are friends though, and and he says to me "Oh, I thought maybe you came on the ride because you were married to to the sweep." (As if I wouldn't just be out on my own?)

Then the roadie starts asking me questions. How old am I? How long have I been riding? Suggests that perhaps I would be better off on a road bike "where you can see what's coming up and prepare for it more." Then says "I see that you can get over the hard stuff, then you stop. You need to keep going." Keep in mind that he 1) had the opportunity to leave our group 2) isn't any better than we are. I resist the urge to say "At least I haven't crashed, but I see your leg's a scratched up mess" (that would be uncharitable, I know)
Old 10-09-19, 11:18 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You are overreacting. Next time open your mouth and say "leave me alone" and then if he/she/they persists, you could come here and complain. Your recollection of your experience just reads like passive-aggressiveness with post-process irritation for no reason.
Helpful tip for interpersonal relations:
NEVER discount someone else's feelings regarding a stimulus; they feel what they feel and you're not in a position to tell them otherwise.

Instead: Accept their feelings, and ask them why something makes them feel that way. If they can answer, try to empathize from their perspective ("I would be annoyed too if someone was offering advice outside of a relationship where that's ok"). IF they ask for your opinion, you can share it. Sometimes people just want to be heard and validated, and it's kind of hard to get.

Trust me, I look to criticize and solve problems that aren't mine all the time, but I'm learning.
Old 10-09-19, 11:31 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
It was well organized, and fun, aside from that one dude. I haven’t been back to another group ride, there have been other events out of town that I’ve attended. I’m registered for a skills clinic this weekend. We’ll see if he’s there. If yes, I’ll just stay away.
Don’t miss out on opportunities just because of one bad apple.
Old 10-09-19, 11:53 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I see your perspective. Not that I'm saying its not a valid complaint, just that its not coming through as being that much of an issue in these pages.

I think most of us know what its like being in a relatable uncomfortable situation, and its not pleasant. I too am passive-aggressive, but I would have said something, and wouldn't say its for no reason. Those irritants, build up.
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Helpful tip for interpersonal relations:
NEVER discount someone else's feelings regarding a stimulus; they feel what they feel and you're not in a position to tell them otherwise.
True, in an ideal environment. But most of us know that in the real world, this happen more times than not. Especially from our superiors.

Instead: Accept their feelings, and ask them why something makes them feel that way. If they can answer, try to empathize from their perspective ("I would be annoyed too if someone was offering advice outside of a relationship where that's ok"). IF they ask for your opinion, you can share it. Sometimes people just want to be heard and validated, and it's kind of hard to get.

Trust me, I look to criticize and solve problems that aren't mine all the time, but I'm learning.
You are the consummate therapist. I could use some consoling myself. Are your rates reasonable?
Old 10-09-19, 12:01 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You are the consummate therapist. I could use some consoling myself. Are your rates reasonable?
  1. I'm not
  2. Could you pay the fine for "practicing without a license?"
Old 10-09-19, 12:14 PM
Actarus777

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
I went on a group ride a few weekends ago to open a new trail system. I actually prefer to ride solo or with close friends, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try. I'm an ok, but not great rider. I prefer the trails I l know well, and these were new, plus they start with a climb (not my best skill). I emailed the ride leader ahead of time to make sure that all skills levels would be welcome. Ride leader say "Yes! We're going to split into a beginner and an advanced group. Please come!" The person I'm planning to go with wakes up with a head cold and decides to stay home, but I decide to go anyway. (Challenge by choice and all, right?) So I get there and see a few people I know. There's three female riders out of the dozen-ish who are there. Myself, a teenager (who I know slightly, our daughters are friends) and an accomplished trail rider (who I also know, she's taken me out a few times to coach me). There's also an older dude on borrowed MTB who mentioned he's primarily a roadie, and this is his first group trail ride. I try to be friendly and make conversation telling him that I am thinking of getting a road bike.

We start. I'm near the back with the teenager, the roadie, and and the sweep (who I know pretty well). We climb and climb. The teenager gets off to walk. The roadie says "OMG! This is so different from road biking!" and gets off to walk. I get off to walk. The sweep (who knows the trials well) is very encouraging and is calling out warnings. (Mud ahead! Rollover to your right! Stream crossing soon! Log bridge! The best line is to the left! Shift! Steep hill! Sharp curve halfway down!) The faster riders stop at an intersection and wait for the slower ones.

We all catch up and decide to break into three groups. I always knew that I was going to go in the slow/beginner/shorter ride group. The fastest group takes off. The middle group has some conversation about who is continuing with them and who is breaking off to loop around and go back to the trailhead. We all ride together for a while. I get in front of a guy I don't know and apologize when I slip in the mud and make him stop behind me. He's super nice "Don't worry, you're fine. My wife won't even get on a mtb."

The middle group goes on and then it's me, the teenager, the roadie, and the sweep. We're all pretty evenly matched, and take turns in the lead. I joke to the sweep that he's never going to take us out again. He laughs and says that's not true. He's having a great time and getting to practice his coaching skills. The roadie asks if the sweep and I are married. We say no, we are friends though, and and he says to me "Oh, I thought maybe you came on the ride because you were married to to the sweep." (As if I wouldn't just be out on my own?)

Then the roadie starts asking me questions. How old am I? How long have I been riding? Suggests that perhaps I would be better off on a road bike "where you can see what's coming up and prepare for it more." Then says "I see that you can get over the hard stuff, then you stop. You need to keep going." Keep in mind that he 1) had the opportunity to leave our group 2) isn't any better than we are. I resist the urge to say "At least I haven't crashed, but I see your leg's a scratched up mess" (that would be uncharitable, I know)

Anyway, perhaps it's just a chip on my shoulder and my own insecurities, but dang....
Great👍