Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Degrees of sociality while out on tour.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Degrees of sociality while out on tour.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 10:47 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Funny, I don't get that, nor have I ever heard of it among my 60-something peers. I thought the opposite, that my gray hair and beard (neatly trimmed) make me look less threatening and more approachable. And my obvious age gives me an excuse to be on long rides. When I was taking off complete seasons in my thirties and forties, I got some semi-suspicious "Well, what do you do for work?" questions. "Are you some sort of bum?" It was hard to explain the lifestyle, and impossible for most to understand. Now I can just say I'm retired and that's easier.

Of course there's less sexual attraction to younger people! That's part of getting older. I suppose that bothered me a bit in my 50s. Now I'm over it.
I agree about the beard making us more approachable. But I think if anything, even more women flirt now, than when I was younger. 🤔 Must be that ugly duckling thing. 😁😉 BTW, I'll be 58 this month.
Old 12-03-19, 11:06 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Two things I do not believe have been mentioned here are age and gender, I think there is a certain level of hesitation both genders have when they see a man hanging out alone anywhere. For some, this is creepy; for others, there is often, at least, some level of suspicion.
Regional variation for sure. In my location I am a magnet for middle-aged Southern Women. If I stop for any length of time invariably one will wander over to say hi, or stop their car to see if I need anything, or try to sell me something home-made. The men just seem like to tell me they've never seen a cyclist out this far, friendly just the same.
Old 12-03-19, 02:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
At 57, people seem to want to keep their distance, as if I pose some kind of threat.
I think that’s your flare for the dramatic talking.

And having toured fully loaded in several areas of the country from my 30s into my 50s I can comfortably say that people approach me much more now that I am an older man rather than some “creepy guy” in his 30s with no friends. I’ve told the story before but some woman told me how a few days before she had creepy guy in a campground so she left. She didn’t realize it was me that she had seen, until I told her. Enjoyed watching her try to take her foot out of her mouth.
Old 12-03-19, 06:02 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think that’s your flare for the dramatic talking.
AND the tattered underwear. (Sorry, folks. That's an inside joke between Fabz and me.)
Old 12-07-19, 12:35 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Avoid sex, politics and religion,
Talking about, or engaging in?
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-07-19, 12:52 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I am not super social while touring. My job keeps me around a lot of people, who all want to talk to me, so being alone on tour is heaven for me. That being said, though I do not seek out companionship while touring, occasionally I meet people with whom I really click and enjoy talking to. Those meetings are some of my best memories, and some have remained friends of mine for years. I don't automatically shun people, but I do not cling to everyone who happens by.

On my ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC one year, riding into Hurricane Irene, I was messaging my then fiancée, who was writing from Thailand, asking me to ride somewhere else since I was heading into a hurricane. As I was contemplating altering my ride, a man road out of the campground I stayed at the night before, we were the only two there, and said he was finishing a cross country and was headed to DC too as part of his trip. He said I could ride with him. I figured I would keep heading towards DC, but thought I would soon part company with the man, since I like riding alone, and spend time stopping to do photography. It ends up, we hit it off, and are friends to this day. He was at my wedding, videoed the wedding, and even stayed in our cabin the night of our wedding along with our matron of honor, best man, and my best man's wife. I am very happy I met up with him.

On my last ride across Indiana and Ohio, I met a few people, was drafted by a young Amish man who was riding his bike from work, and we struck up a conversation. A fleeting but great social moment. I also stopped to meet a woman I met through Instagram, and had lunch. There were a couple nights at campgrounds where I was welcome into the local fold as well, watching a movie in a pavilion with the locals at one campground, along with my wife, who had driven out to camp with me. The other campground was a godsend as the people there checked up on me and made sure I was doing well, since I arrived with a scratched cornea, and had to visit doctors in the area to get treated. I stayed two nights in that campground, and the people there were wonderful. At the same time I was able to have all the alone time I wanted.

I love solitude, that's why I tour, alone, but take those moments to enjoy real people who are genuinely decent...if you want,
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-07-19, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I am not super social while touring. My job keeps me around a lot of people, who all want to talk to me, so being alone on tour is heaven for me. That being said, though I do not seek out companionship while touring, occasionally I meet people with whom I really click and enjoy talking to.....

I love solitude, that's why I tour, alone, but take those moments to enjoy real people who are genuinely decent...if you want,
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-19, 09:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Talking about, or engaging in?
Engaging in all 3 at once
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-08-19, 01:01 PM