Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Old 02-20-20, 09:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You're full of worthless commentary. Ever come up with any valuable advice, like discs are better in the wet, or better for heavy riders who might find rim brakes inadequate for steep, winding descents? They have advantages for some, but not all riders and probably not the majority. They mainly contribute to more dealer profit.
Well, you sure have a bug up your butt. It was a simple question, and it wasn't even directed at you.
Old 02-20-20, 09:05 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
A few years ago I did a cold, wet ride down from Craggy Gardens to Town Mountain road in NC. I was with a guy with disc brakes, I had rim brakes. Side by side, compared to him , I had essentially no brakes. Up until that morning I just accepted the noisy unpredictable performance of rim brakes as the way it is.

I am almost 100 % hydraulic discs now and can't see buying another rim brake bike unless I go vintage.
Old 02-20-20, 09:17 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Discs are becoming increasingly stock on new bikes without any optional choice for rim brakes. For better or worse the argument for or against disc becomes day by day increasingly moot. Just an observation, not a thumbs up or down on disc brakes.
Old 02-20-20, 09:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Does this mean rim brake and cable actuated components will become cheaper in the coming years due to reduced demand, stay the same because one somehow demand doesnt influence the price in cycling components, or become more expensive due to scarcity?
They will be thirteen bucks
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BR-CT...-28&th=1&psc=1

Or twelve
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Alloy...255251&sr=8-39

Or one hundred and fifteen
https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Componen...255251&sr=8-51

Or whatever you can scavenge from the calcifieds
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-20-20, 09:21 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Why? Every UCI rider has to adhere to the same weight. What would it help to lower it? The technology to make lighter stuff is already happening.
ugh as it is, there are still LOTS of disc bikes struggling to go under 6.9 kg, while almost all rim brake bikes are having to add heavy components to meet the 6.9kg minimum requirement. So no, not every UCI rider has to adhere to the same weight. It's more like rim brake bikes are forced to add weight. And like you said, the tech is there (and people are already doing it) to go to 5.5 kg.

5.5 kg vs 6.9 kg on a climb? I'll take the 5.5 kg bike any day all day if i'm doing this for a living.
Old 02-20-20, 10:00 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, anyone that hasn't owned them.
Go re-read post #9 that I was responding to, and I think you’ll see that I was simply pointing out a bit of ironically circular logical fallacy.
Old 02-20-20, 10:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Why care? Dual pivots were heavier then single pivots and were bulkier, yet other then cane creek 200sl the only single pivot by 2000 were the cheapest of the cheap. Weight and chunky didn't matter since the stopping was night and day. Going down major hills in the Catskills one would stop and the other would lightly modulate speed and a decent basic cable disc setup stops better still not to mention the ease of using hydraulic. I can remember squealing down muddy slopes hoping my cantis would slow my cross bike and the discs do. Loaded touring with rim brakes is just fun in the wet, especially the game of will or won't it stop in time. Maybe this has to do with me being a clydesdale and needing brakes that really stop but discs are the best to me. I've been struggling the last week with the possibility of buying a DeRosa carbon frame and fork NOS from 2008 or so, only 700.00 and my size which would be sweet. But its the same age as my steel Carrera, probably doesn't ride that much better and it doesn't have disc which I know I want on my next bike. The whole disc, 142mm thru axle does result in a much stiffer wheel that feels really balanced as well and I think disc rims look better to boot.
Old 02-21-20, 06:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You're full of worthless commentary.
Hello, Kettle.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-20, 06:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Go re-read post #9 that I was responding to, and I think you’ll see that I was simply pointing out a bit of ironically circular logical fallacy.
That was the context in which I replied.

Oh, and I don't think that means what you think it means.
Old 02-21-20, 08:32 AM
WhyFi

The disc-brakes-were-foisted-upon-us narrative always amuses me because of how much it just doesn't ring true in my case.

I bought a gravel bike with mechanical discs. I liked it well enough, but decided to upgrade to hydro when I found a good price on a kit. After the install, I was immediately hooked and there was no going back. I've bought two hydro disc road bikes since. I've heard similar "why didn't I do this sooner?" stories from others, much more so than, "eh, I can take it or leave it." "These are horrible and I'm going back to rim brakes!" is almost unheard of, IME.

So foisted? Not so much. I, and many others like me, have been enthusiastic adopters.
Old 02-21-20, 09:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Does this mean rim brake and cable actuated components will become cheaper in the coming years due to reduced demand, stay the same because one somehow demand doesnt influence the price in cycling components, or become more expensive due to scarcity?
If I had to take a guess, I'd say the price will stay the same. There will always be a fringe of cyclists that will continue using rim brakes. Even if they know that discs are more efficient, most of them will stay with rim brakes.

For my part, disc brakes have just always looked better. Moreover, mainly riding in mountains where hills can get very steep, it's a must for me.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-21-20, 09:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
ugh as it is, there are still LOTS of disc bikes struggling to go under 6.9 kg, while almost all rim brake bikes are having to add heavy components to meet the 6.9kg minimum requirement. So no, not every UCI rider has to adhere to the same weight. It's more like rim brake bikes are forced to add weight. And like you said, the tech is there (and people are already doing it) to go to 5.5 kg.

5.5 kg vs 6.9 kg on a climb? I'll take the 5.5 kg bike any day all day if i'm doing this for a living.
They have to draw the line somewhere, and while some feel 6.9kg is antiquated, it at least levels the playing field. I remember when we thought getting under 20 pounds was light.
If, as you say, some are struggling to get under 6.9, it probably isn't by much. And, if that's true, then lowering the minimum to 5.5 would obviously put those people at a 3-4 pound disadvantage. Why would the UCI want to do that? To just eliminate disc brakes from the peloton?

People say disc equipped bikes are 500g heavier than similar rim braked models.I guess you're saying it's more like 2000g?

Last edited by big john; 02-21-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by eduskator
For my part, disc brakes have just always looked better.
+1

A disc and small caliper within the wheel gives cleaner lines to me, compared to a rim caliper hanging off of the fork/stays like a wart.

Also, in terms of performance, I'll say that the lighter lever effort of hydro is better all of the time, not just when it's wet or whatever.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-20, 09:47 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Problems abound.

A) The bikes the ProTour rides must be retail product

B) Already at those weights...rider weight limits abound, typically 180lbs max--because while lightweight the frames and wheels simply are not structurally strong enough for "normal" people.

Reminds me of the old "If it isn't broken/falling apart at the finish it is overbuilt" tortured "logic".
Old 02-21-20, 09:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Here is a Cannondale @5.7kg, but not the record for the lightest disc road bike.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/lightest-disc-brake-road-bike-world-2983

https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/30/201...oes-full-aero/
Supposed to be lighter.

Last edited by big john; 02-21-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-21-20, 09:56 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts

S-Works Tarmac: 6.4 kg
S-Works Tarmac Disc: 6.6 kg
Old 02-21-20, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

There are off-the-shelf disc bikes under 6.9. Nothing that a pro world ride would have much trouble getting under that limit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-20, 10:02 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
S-Works Tarmac: 6.4 kg
S-Works Tarmac Disc: 6.6 kg
I was about to make the comment...

As if disc brakes would add that much weight on a bike... 200-300 more grams perhaps, but not 1kg!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-21-20, 10:06 AM
Cypress

As if disc brakes would add that much weight on a bike... 200-300 more grams perhaps, but not 1kg!
And I would happily trade 200-300 grams for the braking feel and performance. Not wearing out $2500 carbon wheels with rim brakes is a huge added bonus.
Old 02-21-20, 10:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Does that mean 25% of the time they are needed ?
Correct. At most and as a whole for all riders. In other words - I live in the flat lands - I absolutely never need them.

Some live where there is actual elevation. They can use them as a benefit there.

So apologies for using the word need. Should have been 25% of the time they are a benefit.

Old 02-21-20, 10:18 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
And I would happily trade 200-300 grams for the braking feel and performance. Not wearing out $2500 carbon wheels with rim brakes is a huge added bonus.
The side benefit for me in the wheel world is that disc brakes have virtually eliminated the customer's obsession with wheel weight. With disc there are so many variables in what the hubs are that weights on the same sets with different setups vary so much that they aren't comparative. Eliminates about a third of the conversation content I used to have to have daily.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-21-20, 10:19 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Understand that the weight thing is a non-issue for probably 99.9% of bike purchases. Even relatively dedicated riders that are buying a good bike for fun and/or commuting aren't going to care. Only the racers (including tri-athletes) and time trials riders care about that level of minutiae.

My first disc brake equipped bike (recumbent), I bought because I had just moved to Seattle and wanted better wet weather performance. That alone was huge to me, and it was quite noticeable. I had good 'wet' rim brakes, but their performance never came close to the performance of discs. My bikes are 99% used for commuting. By the time I put a rack, lights, panniers, etc., the extra weight is a non-issue.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-21-20, 10:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

There's a member of the forum that always states that discs add 1-2lbs. to the weight of the bike. At one time that was a slight exaggeration, but now it's total BS.

I'm surprised he hasn't made a comment here yet.
Old 02-21-20, 10:36 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Only the racers (including tri-athletes) and time trials riders care about that level of minutiae.
Most racers I know (including myself) want the lightest stuff we can trust and can afford to replace. I won't run uber light stuff because I don't want dive into a corner and wonder if saving those extra 50 grams is going to put me in the ditch with a broken collarbone. Weightweenie crap won't get you on the podium if you're sitting in the team car with a shattered aftermarket derailleur cage because you suddenly needed to crosschain at 1300W to hold a wheel. Doubly more for training. Any time I spend fixing/replacing lightweight stuff is time spent off of my bike.

I went through a rough patch with a wheel sponsor a while back. I kept cracking their zooty high-end wheels (I corner hard) so I "downgraded" to a higher spoke count with heavier rims and immediately stopped having issues.
Old 02-21-20, 10:47 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Discs

Anecdotally, I’m not any slower up big climbs with a heavier disc bike than I was on my lighter rim brake bike.

We have a good climb near me that rises 1300 over about 1.3 miles and I didn’t notice a difference after switching to a disc bike that was about a pound heavier. What I did notice was coming down the backside I didn’t feel like I had to brake as early or hard and could make the descent a lot faster where my average speed was in the low 40s vs mid 30s on the old bike.

I like disc, modulation and performance in the wet is great and more confidence inspiring
Likes For phrantic09:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.