Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubular tire tape

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubular tire tape

Old 07-03-20, 10:47 AM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Tubular tire tape

I pulled my tubular tire from the rim to insert a valve extender. The tufo tape on the tire is still tacky. Is mounting the tire with the tape ok, or should I put new tape on?
Old 07-03-20, 12:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I pulled my tubular tire from the rim to insert a valve extender. The tufo tape on the tire is still tacky. Is mounting the tire with the tape ok, or should I put new tape on?
Depends. There's no clear line with tubular mounting, there's a continuum from not good enough to way better than needed.

Try it, inflate to max, leave it for a few hours. Deflate and check to see how easy it releases.
My bar is "damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible"; but I don't use tape.
Old 07-03-20, 01:22 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Depends. There's no clear line with tubular mounting, there's a continuum from not good enough to way better than needed.

Try it, inflate to max, leave it for a few hours. Deflate and check to see how easy it releases.
My bar is "damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible"; but I don't use tape.
Yeah I think it is pretty good without using new tape. I'll take your suggestion to test how hard it is to remove the tire.
Old 07-04-20, 03:54 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It's been many years, but I would suggest using new rim tape. From past experience, I don't particularly like tubular rim tape but would rather use rim glue. I just don't trust rim tape to both hold on to the rim and the tire (tubular tire roll-off)
Old 07-05-20, 06:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
It's been many years, but I would suggest using new rim tape. From past experience, I don't particularly like tubular rim tape but would rather use rim glue. I just don't trust rim tape to both hold on to the rim and the tire (tubular tire roll-off)
I've used both. You're no more likely to roll a tire with tape than with a proper glue job. The modern Tufo tape makes mounting tires very easy, but DANG! It can be quite difficult to pry the tire off when you get a flat. Sometimes it rips the base tape right off the tire. So, I've gone back to using glue.