Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Safe to bike during Flu Season?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Safe to bike during Flu Season?

Old 09-07-20, 01:12 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
I strongly recommend not riding during 'flu season -- indeed, not riding at all. Year round.

There are simply too many hazards 'out there'. Much better to stay in a warm basement, with a secure internet connection, and post on teh Biek Forms.
People scoff at this, but it is how the Chinese beat the virus. Stay indoors, wear a mask. Sometime in the next two years it will be safe to resume semi-normal activities. Not now.
Old 09-07-20, 04:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
People scoff at this, but it is how the Chinese beat the virus. Stay indoors, wear a mask. Sometime in the next two years it will be safe to resume semi-normal activities. Not now.
NSIS, but if so (and your reference to 'bamboo' would suggest so), is it your contention that one must wear a mask, even if alone in one's (or one's mother's) basement sitting at a computer with a secure internet connection? Just asking.
Old 09-07-20, 04:35 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by The Old Peddler
reasonable precautions such as wearing a mask while riding
Good for you. I do the same. I'm sooooooo tired of arguing with the people who say "it's the fresh air, there's no CV out there!"
Old 09-07-20, 04:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My mom used to tell me to not sit on cold ground or I would catch a cold in my back.
I don't know about back cold, but I heard that sitting on a cold surface can cause hemorrhoids. I don't know if that's true or not.
Old 09-07-20, 06:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't know about back cold, but I heard that sitting on a cold surface can cause hemorrhoids. I don't know if that's true or not.
Did she also tell you to put butter on a burn?
Old 09-07-20, 09:08 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
NSIS, but if so (and your reference to 'bamboo' would suggest so), is it your contention that one must wear a mask, even if alone in one's (or one's mother's) basement sitting at a computer with a secure internet connection? Just asking.
I even wear it while sleeping, just to be safe.
Old 09-08-20, 07:47 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Exactly. There's a vaccine for flu.

I do wonder whether this flu season will be that bad, since everyone's masked and distancing and washing hands, which is exactly what you'd do to slow the spread of the flu.
There's a vaccine for a specific "strain" of flu. There is no vaccine that covers 100% of the strains that show up throughout the flu season. I've never had a flu shot and have only caught the more serious version once or twice in the past 2+ decades (and maybe some of that is my immune system cuz I don't catch colds very often or very easily at all either). I also know people who have religiously gotten their flu shot *every* year and end up catching it anyway.

I'm not, by any means, an anti-vaxxer. If one wants to get a flu shot, go get one. Just know it's not an absolute cure and may only make you "feel" better. More importantly is to be cautious around other people and keep your body healthy and well-maintained and that should go a long way in minimizing your susceptibility to any virus.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 09-08-20, 10:22 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts

Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-09-20, 04:45 PM
gtd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been convinced for years that aerobic exercise helps prevent colds, flu, etc. You breath deeply and heavily enough to "blast out" the toxins. It's only my experience but I think it helps.
Old 09-09-20, 07:10 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
While riding, I am further away from other people than at home, shopping work etc.
Safer to ride, no ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-09-20, 07:33 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
While riding, I am further away from other people than at home, shopping work etc.
Safer to ride, no ?
If you're out in the street, you're prob'ly fine. Watch for people crossing in front of you, tho.

My ride used to include about 1/3 for MUPs. Since the pandemic, I rerouted primarily to the streets and ride when the sun comes up so there are fewer people and traffic.

However, even that hasn't helped, as of late. I live in the SF Bay Area and we've been surrounded by the biggest fires in the state since late Aug. Today, the lights in my courtyard stayed on because there is so much smoke in the atmosphere the sky has been a yellowish-brown all day. Had to turn on my living room light it was so bad (yet, somehow they are saying the air quality is the best it's been in weeks...go figure |^| This morning I went outside to take care of something and I noticed it was "snowing"....but it wasn't white and it wasn't wet....it was ash raining down

Guess I'm off my bike for a few more weeks...boo hoo....
Old 09-09-20, 07:38 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I don't see the issue with riding during flu season. Your chances of catching the flu are no better or worse if you ride. Frankly, riding probably helps boost your immune system which likely makes it less likely to catch the flu. Either way, I see them as unrelated. If you get the flu, you stay in bed for a couple days, rest, drink lots of fluids and lots of chicken soup, and when you're better, you get back on the bike.
Old 09-09-20, 07:57 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
If you're out in the street, you're prob'ly fine. Watch for people crossing in front of you, tho.

My ride used to include about 1/3 for MUPs. Since the pandemic, I rerouted primarily to the streets and ride when the sun comes up so there are fewer people and traffic.

However, even that hasn't helped, as of late. I live in the SF Bay Area and we've been surrounded by the biggest fires in the state since late Aug. Today, the lights in my courtyard stayed on because there is so much smoke in the atmosphere the sky has been a yellowish-brown all day. Had to turn on my living room light it was so bad (yet, somehow they are saying the air quality is the best it's been in weeks...go figure |^| This morning I went outside to take care of something and I noticed it was "snowing"....but it wasn't white and it wasn't wet....it was ash raining down

Guess I'm off my bike for a few more weeks...boo hoo....
We have an inversion layer over the bay area right now. The smoke that is blocking out the sun and turning the world into a an orange tinted hellscape is above the inversion layer, and the air beneath the inversion layer is only a little unhealthy. I have definitely seen more ash falling over the last couple of days than I had seen for the last few weeks. I'm still not going out to ride in this though.
Old 09-09-20, 08:12 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Skulking
We have an inversion layer over the bay area right now. The smoke that is blocking out the sun and turning the world into a an orange tinted hellscape is above the inversion layer, and the air beneath the inversion layer is only a little unhealthy. I have definitely seen more ash falling over the last couple of days than I had seen for the last few weeks. I'm still not going out to ride in this though.
Yep. Read somewhere abt the inversion layer. Someone mentioned to me the sky seemed "primordial". Thought that was a great description, especially at sun up this morning. Not even a remote consideration of riding with what I saw this morning

Friends and family not living in the state of California laugh when they hear me tell them CA has 4 seasons: Fire, Rain, Mudslides and Earthquakes. So, here we are in fire season (and it's been a doozy this year If we get any semblance of normal rainfall this Fall and Winter, I can't wait to hear how mudslide season goes. Good grief....
Old 09-14-20, 03:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?
Wrong.
Old 09-14-20, 02:36 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?
What did you do last, annual flu season and all previous flu seasons?
Old 09-16-20, 06:58 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I feel perfectly safe riding in flu season as long as I'm properly attired.

Old 09-16-20, 08:34 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts

Not worried one iota. This will all mysteriously vanish November 4.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-17-20, 06:02 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Any bug that is transmitted person to person can be mostly avoided by staying away from infected persons or the things they touch or spit on.
Old 09-17-20, 06:12 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Wow. Just ... wow.