Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek's New Gravel Bike , 520 Grando

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek's New Gravel Bike , 520 Grando

Old 08-30-20, 06:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Commentary is, well, yes commentary.
You can agree with it, question it, disagree with it, have your own opinions, ignore it and that all is welcome as well.

Unbranded chromoly tubing is, well who knows the quality... Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, etc. assures specific fabrication methods, PSI strength, precise metalurgical content wall thickness, tempering, butting quality etc. and assueres the buyer of the quality of the product. I have in fact seen a Trek steel frame bike (generic chromoly as a matter of fact) where the down tube failed with a fatigue crack all the way around about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom bracket at the internal butting. The frame looked like someone cut through it nice and neatly with a hacksaw. From experience it is my opinion that the quality of the tubing does in fact matter and name brand bicycle tubing is likely to be of better quality than generic tubing.

You are of course entitled to the opinion that generic tubing is just as good. Heck, Schwinn uses unbranded chrome moly so in must be pretty high performance stuff right?

Schwinn spec'd their bikes with double butted OS Tange tubing, Columbus SL and SP tubing, Columbus private label tubing, unbranded cromoly, and more. This is in just a 10 year period of the 80s and early 90s and doesn't even get into the 853 tubing used in the late 90s or other tubing thru the decades.
You showing a generic Schwinn sticker and takong a dig at the brand name doesnt prove that unbranded/generic/private label tubing is worse than branded tubing. Such thinking is lazy.

What matters is the tube's details- diameter and butting profile, basically.

You claiming 520 tubing is somehow better is just laughable because you don't know the details of each. They are the same material and the difference will be in something none of us knows- the butting profile. Even then, i doubt you would speak competently on which is 'better'.
As for your ramble about generic tubing breaking, surely you understand that such a limited example set is pointless to use for drawing a conclusion. Otherwise, any OPEN frames that fail would, by your reasoning, make OPEN frame utter crap and unreliable.

I fully agree with you that the quality of tubing matters. 100% agree. You have no idea what the specs are for the Reynolds 520 tubing though. Its just butter cromoly for all we know.
Black Mountain Cycles spec's their frames with 8/5/8 heat treated tubing. Its generic. Heck, its not just generic, but its seamed too(eek!) since thst hasn't mattered for over 30 years. Heat treated, 8/5/8, and generic. Whats not to like? Why would that be worse than 520/525 8/5/8 or 8/6/8 tubing?...it wouldn't be. Its heat treated unlike the 5 series too.

You made fun of the pannier setup, only to have multiple posters respond that its a legit setup.
You made fun of the tubing, only to be told both bikes have the same effective tubing for all we know.
You claimed a failed generic tube is reason to not use it, yet you defend other 1 off failures.
You tried to support your point by making fun of a company that actually did use significantly nicer tubing than what you cited, on models that were appropriately priced.

The Trek bike can be made fun of for so many better reasons than you cite. The tubing claim was a funny one at least.
Old 08-31-20, 03:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
Looks like an interesting bike. They should probably list the weight without the rack. Steel disc forks are heavy.

A lot of people are going with just front panniers nowadays.
Old 08-31-20, 07:05 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
The aluminum fork is a head-scratcher.
That was my first reaction as well. Sorta WTF?
Old 08-31-20, 08:29 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Somebody mentioned disc brakes without thru-axel..... today I would not buy a bike like this... no reason to.
All blacked out for touring are ya? I prefer white frames and forks. Visually safer on the road, as well as colored panniers or seat bag... stainless spokes instead of black please.... so people can see you coming.
And the alloy fork... ugh
Looks like the popular blackout bike from 20 years ago.....
Black bike photographed on a black backdrop...... that's a no-no
Old 08-31-20, 07:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
I'm not sure what's wrong with an aluminum fork. Are there forks with these kinds of attachment points that are carbon and cheap? And a steel fork with a tapered headtube is a real boat anchor. I think a tapered steerer makes sense and they are trying to hit a price point with a lot of attachment points, so aluminum is the best choice.
Old 09-01-20, 05:20 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm not sure what's wrong with an aluminum fork. Are there forks with these kinds of attachment points that are carbon and cheap? And a steel fork with a tapered headtube is a real boat anchor. I think a tapered steerer makes sense and they are trying to hit a price point with a lot of attachment points, so aluminum is the best choice.
That are carbon, yes. That are "cheap"--no. Carbon disc brake, with clearance for 50mm tires, and rack points--you're looking at $600 aftermarket.
Old 09-08-20, 06:39 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Schwinn spec'd their bikes with double butted OS Tange tubing, Columbus SL and SP tubing, Columbus private label tubing, unbranded cromoly, and more. This is in just a 10 year period of the 80s and early 90s and doesn't even get into the 853 tubing used in the late 90s or other tubing thru the decades.
You showing a generic Schwinn sticker and takong a dig at the brand name doesnt prove that unbranded/generic/private label tubing is worse than branded tubing. Such thinking is lazy.

What matters is the tube's details- diameter and butting profile, basically.

You claiming 520 tubing is somehow better is just laughable because you don't know the details of each. They are the same material and the difference will be in something none of us knows- the butting profile. Even then, i doubt you would speak competently on which is 'better'.
As for your ramble about generic tubing breaking, surely you understand that such a limited example set is pointless to use for drawing a conclusion. Otherwise, any OPEN frames that fail would, by your reasoning, make OPEN frame utter crap and unreliable.

I fully agree with you that the quality of tubing matters. 100% agree. You have no idea what the specs are for the Reynolds 520 tubing though. Its just butter cromoly for all we know.
Black Mountain Cycles spec's their frames with 8/5/8 heat treated tubing. Its generic. Heck, its not just generic, but its seamed too(eek!) since thst hasn't mattered for over 30 years. Heat treated, 8/5/8, and generic. Whats not to like? Why would that be worse than 520/525 8/5/8 or 8/6/8 tubing?...it wouldn't be. Its heat treated unlike the 5 series too.

You made fun of the pannier setup, only to have multiple posters respond that its a legit setup.
You made fun of the tubing, only to be told both bikes have the same effective tubing for all we know.
You claimed a failed generic tube is reason to not use it, yet you defend other 1 off failures.
You tried to support your point by making fun of a company that actually did use significantly nicer tubing than what you cited, on models that were appropriately priced.

The Trek bike can be made fun of for so many better reasons than you cite. The tubing claim was a funny one at least.
I support that you guys are so passionate about the different types of metal but man, my head spins at all the different varieties. Probably why I bought titanium.
Old 09-15-20, 01:50 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Aluminum makes for a crappy spring.

I think the AL fork is for surface area and stiffness to support bags.If you've got big tires and a steel frame, why worry about a stiff AL fork?
Old 11-20-20, 07:39 AM
dan911

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma Custom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
First ride with my new 520 Grando. It's was very cold outside so it was just a short ride but the bike was soooo confortable. I love it !
Likes For dan911:
Old 11-20-20, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
^ good looking from afar.
Old 11-20-20, 11:29 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
why are they still using 135 rear in 2020?
Old 04-25-22, 09:39 AM
DelMarVa Biker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow up

Originally Posted by dan911
First ride with my new 520 Grando. It's was very cold outside so it was just a short ride but the bike was soooo confortable. I love it !
Hi sweet photo. Just wondered how you are liking your 520 Grando after more than a year of riding? I am searching through the forums on various threads and stumbled across this one. Apologies in advance if I should ask somewhere else (I’m sorta new to the forum). I am on my second week of commuting on my 520 Grando and I am pleased so far. First and second mod so far was to add the Trek 520 rear rack SPD pedals.