Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Finally went full hydraulic

Old 12-22-20, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Definitely post em!
Are you installing or having a shop do the work? I installed and rode for a couple months with long hoses, then took it to a shop to cut the hoses to size and properly bleed the line. Itd been a few years since I took a bike to a shop for work, but I dont have a bleed kit and dont think I really need one quite yet. It was cheaper for them to do the work than for me to buy the kit.
I will probably just do it myself!
Old 12-26-20, 12:24 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
di2 + hydro for me, steel cables are for peasants
Old 12-26-20, 12:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Definitely post em!
Are you installing or having a shop do the work? I installed and rode for a couple months with long hoses, then took it to a shop to cut the hoses to size and properly bleed the line. Itd been a few years since I took a bike to a shop for work, but I dont have a bleed kit and dont think I really need one quite yet. It was cheaper for them to do the work than for me to buy the kit.
Get this: $13:

Old 12-26-20, 08:18 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
I generally like tools, but these funnels and hoses are not fun to use. The hose cutters are also plastic and kinda fisher-pricey. How is a collection of hoses so expensive? I did my first cut and re-line with a hammer and knife but eventually broke down and bought the "pro" hose kit.

Fisher-Price Shimano hose cutter
Old 12-26-20, 09:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
di2 + hydro for me, steel cables are for peasants
Thats where components appear to be headed, and frankly it's a shame. I've used di2 briefly and it was fine. I didnt enjoy my riding more through using it though.
Once I figure out what I'm missing by not having it, I'm sure I'll jump on the wagon.

I'll probably make the change once Ultegra is no longer made in mechanical and I am looking to build up a new frame. So whenever mechanical Ultegra disappears, watch out!

Part of what I currently enjoy with cycling is the analog and tactile experience of riding. Maybe that will change in the future and ill suddenly stop enjoying the manual aspect of riding, but I hope not. Might as well buy an e-bike for gravel at that point too, then.

I am clearly a grump when it comes to the increased complication of new high level drivetrains and the inevitable obsolescence of mechanical.
I am also a firm member of #teamtubeinside for road.
Old 12-27-20, 09:27 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Thats where components appear to be headed, and frankly it's a shame. I've used di2 briefly and it was fine. I didnt enjoy my riding more through using it though.
Once I figure out what I'm missing by not having it, I'm sure I'll jump on the wagon.

I'll probably make the change once Ultegra is no longer made in mechanical and I am looking to build up a new frame. So whenever mechanical Ultegra disappears, watch out!

Part of what I currently enjoy with cycling is the analog and tactile experience of riding. Maybe that will change in the future and ill suddenly stop enjoying the manual aspect of riding, but I hope not. Might as well buy an e-bike for gravel at that point too, then.

I am clearly a grump when it comes to the increased complication of new high level drivetrains and the inevitable obsolescence of mechanical.
I am also a firm member of #teamtubeinside for road.
Bah humbug, join the good life - electronic, hydro, & tubeless. Sooo good. (although I'll admit, having just put back on 2X mech ultegra I could go either way there, but hydro and tubeless is a non-negotiable).
Old 12-27-20, 09:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Bah humbug, join the good life - electronic, hydro, & tubeless. Sooo good. (although I'll admit, having just put back on 2X mech ultegra I could go either way there, but hydro and tubeless is a non-negotiable).
Well sure- I'm fully on board with hydraulic and tubeless for gravel. I don't ride measurably faster because of either, but both seem to add to my overall experience.
Old 12-27-20, 10:07 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Well sure- I'm fully on board with hydraulic and tubeless for gravel. I don't ride measurably faster because of either, but both seem to add to my overall experience.
That's the spirit! I can say that I do ride measurably faster with a bike that is more secure and smoother over rougher roads. But the "downgrade" needed to see that speed difference from tubeless 38s and hydro is 35mm tires and rim brakes. Perfectly fine for mixed roads and training rides but not fast enough for Wednesday Night Gravel Worlds.