Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Wilier, Bianchi or Ridley?

Old 01-23-21, 04:22 AM
iikem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wilier, Bianchi or Ridley?

I have been toying with the idea of buying a new bike. However, it is always a tough decision to conclude which one will accompany me in the future adventures. Currently i'm in between 3 beautiful choices which makes even harder to finalize a desicion.

- Wilier Jareen GRX (1x11)(2021)

- Bianchi Impulso All-road GRX 600(2x11) (2021)

- Ridley Kanzo A GRX 600(2x11) (2021)

All of them are categorized as a high-end aluminium bikes from a reputable manufacturer , so i suppose i can't go wrong with either of them. However, i would like a second opinion of people how may have experience with those bikes or at least are more expert in understanding their characteristics to help me choose.

Of course an important parameter in the decision is the riding style which in my case is 50% road 50% gravel paths, not racing but for leasure and a bit of fitness..

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-21, 05:34 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I am not sure about where you live, but where I am, of those three brands, Ridley is the best bang for the buck. Wilier and Bianchi tend to charge a premium at comparable specs.

Also, one thing that I would look into are bottom brackets. I specifically went for a bike with a threaded BB, as opposed to pressfit.
Likes For Prodigy4299:
Old 01-23-21, 07:03 AM
iikem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! i live in Italy.
Regarding the 'premium' price tag, I have more or less the same feeling for wilier and bianchi.

One thing i find a bit strange, is that the front fork of Ridley is alu, in contrast, wilier and bianchi have a carbon one . I do not know if this is 'negative' but by reading around carbon forks seems to be better... of course i understand that in the end what matters most is the build quality where all these three companies i suppose they won't sacrifice their reputation by putting a badly engineered part.

My major concern is regarding the riding experience, which unfortunately i cannot check in person due to the fact that currently everything needs to be ordered and none of the local stores have in-stock.
Old 01-23-21, 09:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I think the advantages of a 2x11 crankset over a 1x11 for mixed recreational riding would easily preclude the Wilier.

The Bianchi has a slightly steeper head tube angle, so may be a bit more lively, and I like the sportier, slightly lower and longer frame design, but it does also offer a larger 34t cog for easier climbing.

Because you don’t have a fine-tuned understanding of what you need, and because we know nothing about you or where you ride, these bikes are functionally equivalent and you should choose based on which looks better to you.
Old 01-23-21, 07:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
All three of these are very niche bikes that are dwarfed in production volume by many other brands. None are really mainstream choices for most riders. How did you come down to these three choices and why aluminum? Can you give us a review of what you are looking for and where you ride and your experience level?

Aluminum forks are very unusual and carbon forks in just about every case are preferred, especially in a gravel bike where compliance is so important.

If high end aluminum is key the Merckx Strasbourg from 4 years ago was excellent but priced close to a carbon frame price, and the Cinelli aluminum gravel bike is one that may be available to you easily in Italy as well. I have ridden the Carbon version of the Willier and the Cinelli and handling on both is very good. I have a few hundred miles on the Merckx and found it absolutely outstanding if you can get your hands on a used one or new old stock as the Meckx is no longer made in aluminum however.