Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Effect of the Container ship incident on Trek backlog

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Effect of the Container ship incident on Trek backlog

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 07:08 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Wheelforfun
mstateglfr - The subject wording of the post was more my reaction from a Trek retail bike shop - one that I had never spoken or dealt with. My post wording - my research took me to several sites that report on maritime shipping. In one of the articles, the U.S. Coast Guard mentions they are monitoring the situation. Whatever that is supposed to mean? More from this article, the shipping company reported that 1816 containers were lost, and 64 of them were believed to contain dangerous goods.

Who really knows the facts, but the only report I had was from a Trek dealer that some of that cargo was for Trek, and that all Trek bikes are made in Cambodia, but she did not seem very sure about the specific country.

Mack turtle - I had read that 2017 was last year that they did any manufacturing in Wisconsin.

However, I go to trekbikes.com, scroll to bottom of page, click Technology, then scroll to Made in the USA -

>>. Custom mold-making for Trek is done by a team of engineers run by Jay Thrane. The mold-making facility is run out of the original Trek red barn in Waterloo, the place where Dick Burke and Bevil Hogg started their company, and where thousands of steel bicycles were made in the 70s. Now in this old barn, molds are made that help make thousands of carbon frames.<<

>>Once the molds are shipped the mile or so west to the carbon lab, the magic black stuff can be cut and picked.<<

>>I often get asked: why does Trek continue to build frames here when the entire industry has moved offshore, including, to be honest, a good percentage of Trek frames? Why do we still have this factory? And my answer is always the same. You can’t build different products, better products, when you don’t completely understand the science. And the only way to understand the way frames and carbon structures really work is to build them yourself. Having our engineers cutting molds, laying in carbon, seeing their structures come to life is crucial to pushing designs forward. It is really expensive to build things here in this factory, but the products are better because of it.<<

Any more pertinent knowledge out there?
From a CNBC article 2014
Despite Trek's American-made legacy, U.S.-made bikes account for only about 1 percent of Trek's total production. But Colegrove says domestic production creates opportunities for greater production control. "We control and drive all aspects of manufacturing bicycles here in Waterloo," he said.
Old 02-13-21, 07:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Spectre is just another name for Specialized.
Actually, more bizarre reference: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...d-execute.html
Old 02-13-21, 07:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
The Long Beach Port unloaded over 8 million TEUs in 2020. It seems pretty fretful to wonder if your bike was in one of those 1800 containers that was bound for the port and ended up in the ocean.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-21, 07:41 PM
2Wheelforfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fretful?

if you read the original post - was asking 2 questions. Always good to get info. And thanks for the Long Beach port stats.
Old 02-13-21, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I hate waiting, which is why I ordered my Emonda Project One in December knowing I wouldn't ride it till the Spring anyway. It arrived at the end of January and I took it for a 20 mile ride the day I got it.
Old 02-13-21, 08:14 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Breeze10
My 2021 P1 Emonda SLR was made at Waterloo fwiw
Nope...Assembled but not made...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 02-13-21, 08:18 PM
Koyote

Fretful?

if you read the original post - was asking 2 questions. Always good to get info. And thanks for the Long Beach port stats.
...And what is the motivation for your questions? You're just fantastically interested in container vessels?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-21, 08:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ocean racer here. Bad news.
I did a small amount on a 24' ultralight. West coast out of SF Bay. Also sailed the north Atlantic far from radio contact with anybody. Between continental shelves were saw one ship and one plane. Couldn't raise either one on radio. We were far from shipping lanes. We did have shortwave and the captain had done a lot of shortwave in his youth. A rescue via shortwave of a lost sailboat crew equidistant from Newfoundland, Iceland and Ireland?
Old 02-13-21, 08:56 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It may well be something that fascinates me. You might try being more useful and suggest some other shipping websites, since you do not offer anything on the questions from original post.
Old 02-13-21, 09:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Three container ship stories... the first is mine.

I got a 2011 Subaru. It was a WRX, made in Fuji, not Indiana. As it happened I began shopping right after the tsunami. Subaru basically shut down. There was one shipment still under way. Only one dealership, Santa Rosa, had stock, and they were putting a 10% markup on their cars. A couple told me outright they weren't going to have a car; some told me they might. I was able to strike a deal with Livermore Subaru for a very normal price once it did. Napa also did right by me and it came down to the paint color. But the guy in Santa Rosa was an absolute dick - emailing me about every other day to push his inflated prices and tell me all the other dealerships were offering fictional cars, even once they all had the cars in their system and were just waiting for their truck.

This was an echo for me of the mid 2000's when I had idly considered trading in my first WRX for a Mazdaspeed 6. A container ship (MV Cougar Ace) capsized off the Aleutian islands and it had a few of the rare hotrodded sedans on board. It was recovered, but the cars were scrapped in the insurance settlement despite minimal damage. Another car container, the MV Golden Ray, capsized in 2019 in the harbor leaving Brunswick, GA, and was this year finally cut up and hauled away. It was full of Hyundais and they were not saved either. There have been some other similar incidents.

Finally, there was a container ship that lost some containers full of 4.8 million Legos in 1997. They washed up on the Cornish coastline for years. Ironically many of them were scuba sets that had octopuses, and it made the news this month when someone found one, I guess the first in ages.
https://www.metro.news/pieces-of-eig...years/2322637/
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-13-21, 09:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
In my sailboat racing days on the west coast, it was commonly heard that 1) the lightest containers were placed highest - completely obvious if you understand ship stability - and that those containers were not secured as well - again completely by plan. If the ship were to be hit from the side with an 80 mph blast of wind and a 70' wave, the more containers that broke off, the more likely they were of living, sailing to port and coming home. Everybody on board knows this. The lost containers are just an insurance report to be filed.

That 80 mph wind and 70' wave might sound like an exaggeration or once in a lifetime event. I used to do the calcs and issue the stability reports for offshore fishing vessels, some as large as 250'. Small ships. One of the criteria the vessels I wrote the reports for had to meet was called "Severe Wind and Roll". It was a calculation of how much stability was lost when the vessel was struck from the side by a wave in a storm. My specialty was calculating how many of the big Bering Sea crabpots could be stacked on deck and meet that criteria - ie how much money they could make and still come home. The container ships are no different, just bigger.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-13-21, 09:33 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Impressive!
Old 02-13-21, 09:46 PM
Koyote

It may well be something that fascinates me. You might try being more useful and suggest some other shipping websites, since you do not offer anything on the questions from original post.
On the contrary! I think I did offer something "useful": hard data on the quantity of shipping containers coming into that port, which suggests that -- according to the odds -- your next bike is not on the bottom of the ocean. Which suggests that you are fretting over a very low-probability outcome.

You're welcome.
Old 02-14-21, 03:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The mainstream ocean shipping industry want you to think it was a storm. It was actually the secret Jewish Space Lasers controlled by Jim Felt. Jim Felt's real name is actually Feltleburgawitz but he had to change it at Ellis Island. He is actually a lizard who works for the Shylock Rothschild and before he founded Felt Bicycles he shot JFK, Elvis and Bevil Hogg's body double.

Have you ever noticed:
Freeing
Employed
Longshoreman
Tomorrow

Also note they use a left hand drive on their track bike which is a clear sign pointing to the Pacific Ocean meaning they planned all of this and gave us directions to which ocean they would be attacking the Trek container ship on.

They also use HED wheels which stands for:
H. Jon Benjamin
Eugene Mirman
Dan Mintz

AKA Bob, Gene and Tina from Bob's Burgers
Best
Get
Trek

If that isn't a clear sign Felt are out to get your bike and many other Trek bikes I don't know what is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-14-21, 06:59 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The mainstream ocean shipping industry want you to think it was a storm. It was actually the secret Jewish Space Lasers controlled by Jim Felt. Jim Felt's real name is actually Feltleburgawitz but he had to change it at Ellis Island. He is actually a lizard who works for the Shylock Rothschild and before he founded Felt Bicycles he shot JFK, Elvis and Bevil Hogg's body double.

Have you ever noticed:
Freeing
Employed
Longshoreman
Tomorrow

Also note they use a left hand drive on their track bike which is a clear sign pointing to the Pacific Ocean meaning they planned all of this and gave us directions to which ocean they would be attacking the Trek container ship on.

They also use HED wheels which stands for:
H. Jon Benjamin
Eugene Mirman
Dan Mintz

AKA Bob, Gene and Tina from Bob's Burgers
Best
Get
Trek

If that isn't a clear sign Felt are out to get your bike and many other Trek bikes I don't know what is.
This seems much more plausible than the claim that a storm knocked those shipping containers off the boat. I mean, who would believe that?

We should take this discussion over to 4chan.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-14-21 at 07:04 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-14-21, 07:37 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
My sources tell me that every one of those missing containers contained Walmart bikes.
Old 02-14-21, 08:21 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
My sources tell me that every one of those missing containers contained Walmart bikes.
That's a lot of reflectors at the bottom of the Pacific.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-14-21, 08:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Seriously, kudos to OP for bringing some levity and being a good sport about it. We've all experienced similar brain farts.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-14-21, 10:53 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Seriously, kudos to OP for bringing some levity and being a good sport about it. We've all experienced similar brain farts.
You mean, if it hadn't happened 10 months from now, it would be plausible?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-14-21, 11:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
^^^ Not even.
Old 02-14-21, 03:02 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Uh, not to be technical but ...

off the boat.
"Ship." Boats are too small to carry containers.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 02-14-21, 05:07 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's a lot of reflectors at the bottom of the Pacific.
Hmmmm, I might have to organize a search party.
Old 02-14-21, 05:35 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Breeze10
My 2021 P1 Emonda SLR was made at Waterloo fwiw
lol no it is not made in Waterloo, all Trek carbon frames are made by quest composite in China
Old 02-14-21, 05:59 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got it. Interesting stuff.

www.questcomposite.com

Thanks much
Old 02-14-21, 08:15 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Were there Trek bikes in the lost containers?
Are any Treks made in Wisconsin?
If so, why are they on a container ship from China?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.