Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikes of Wrath movie

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikes of Wrath movie

Old 04-10-21, 06:58 PM
BicycleCrazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Bikes of Wrath movie

Anyone watched "Bikes of Wrath"? It's a great, real movie about 5 Australian friends that ride from Oklahoma to California. The experiences they had...incredible people they met...the challenges etc. It reminded me of my solo ride across the USA I made in 2017 on a $350 department store mountain bike and zero experience. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch it on Amazon video. Highly recommend it!

Bikes of Wrath Movie photo
Old 04-10-21, 11:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Did not know about this and I'm sure it's explained in the film, but how in the hell did four Aussies begin in Oklahoma? Did they parachute in and head for the nearest ocean? One has to wonder.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-11-21, 04:25 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
It was a lot of fun. I watched it as part of a bicycling film festival on Zoom. This and the other movie shorts related to bicycling I have seen over the years are usually well done. I am looking forward to attending them at the theater again. I am also trying to get our local group to add one of the movie festivals to their schedule as a way to encourage biking in our city.
Old 04-11-21, 07:01 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
It's on Amazon Prime.
Old 04-11-21, 07:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
We watched it a few weeks ago. Good show. They did it the hard way. With a little more planning, and no additional money, their lives/trip could have been much more pleasant. Information has never been more readily available than it is today. They did make it though and it was a heck of a trip.

thump..they started in Oklahoma to mimic/follow the path laid out in Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath book.
Old 04-11-21, 08:54 AM
balto charlie

Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I saw it a few years ago. It was a good movie. It really showed middle America. My favorite line was when one of the locals said "The poor man will give you his last dollar" (or something like that). They were comparing poor folks to wealthy folks.
Old 04-11-21, 05:54 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Just watched today, thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-11-21, 07:05 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I just wrote it down, and will watch tomorrow night.
Old 04-11-21, 07:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Shot in 2016 and already seems dated - no drone shots!

Seriously, though, it's a good film. I liked that in addition to wanting to experience, they wanted to understand.

Last edited by tcs; 04-14-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 10:03 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
I saw it a few years ago. It was a good movie. It really showed middle America. My favorite line was when one of the locals said "The poor man will give you his last dollar" (or something like that). They were comparing poor folks to wealthy folks.
"A wealthy man will give you a dollar, the poor man will give you his last dollar"

I enjoyed the film greatly, thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-11-21, 10:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Did not know about this and I'm sure it's explained in the film, but how in the hell did four Aussies begin in Oklahoma? Did they parachute in and head for the nearest ocean? One has to wonder.
They wanted to travel the route of the "Oakies" who migrated to CA in the book Grapes of Wrath.
Old 04-12-21, 09:33 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Given the title, that makes sense. Guess I was reading too much into it, envisioning a Mad Max scenario.
Old 04-12-21, 03:57 PM
balto charlie

Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
"A wealthy man will give you a dollar, the poor man will give you his last dollar"

I enjoyed the film greatly, thanks for the heads up.

That's it! Thanks
Old 04-12-21, 07:22 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Just watched it. Enjoyed it. Reminded me of all the stuff I hated about touring, but also the rewards.
Old 04-12-21, 07:56 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Of course as soon as I cancel my Prime...dammit!
Old 04-13-21, 06:46 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Being from Oklahoma, I will have to give it a watch.
Old 04-13-21, 09:19 AM
Cycle_Buhda

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great movie I forgot about and just watched it again
Old 04-13-21, 10:26 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Watched it last night.

One thing I like about bicycle touring is how it can help get me a connection to geography, people and history of a region. I think their film did a reasonable job of drawing both history and people aspects of cycle touring. In their case it was also on the kindness of strangers and others getting involved with their goals.

Their desire to follow historical routes led them to Route 66 and thus to spending most of the last half of their trip following I-40 which has replaced that route in many areas. A lot of that area of the Southwest is fairly open with long gaps between towns, but this also brought them into the culture of lots of trucks, Pilot truck stops, etc. Their film glossed over it, but they would have spent multiple days riding interstates or frontage roads through arid areas. They got a few "locals" such as owner of the gas station in Newkirk, but many fewer than the first half of their cycling though Oklahoma and Texas.

Also in 2016, I took a route that brought me not too far from those same end-points. I came through Albuquerque and eventually ended in San Diego, so ended up a bit further south. I was also later in the year and hence cooler temperatures. My route would likely have been too hot in July when they were cycling. Unless one were trying to re-create a Route 66 vibe, I would recommend that route and spring/fall over spending as much time riding I-40.
Old 04-19-21, 07:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
You know I was intrigued and realized we have the prime video thing, but was disappointed that the film isn’t on the Canadian version......oh well....
Old 04-20-21, 05:24 AM
a_d_a_m

I saw it a few nights back. I enjoyed it, but as someone who's looking to get into touring, I wanted more of THAT aspect. Then again, I understand they were trying to connect it to Steinbeck, etc. blah blah blah.
Old 04-20-21, 06:17 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I saw it a few nights back. I enjoyed it, but as someone who's looking to get into touring, I wanted more of THAT aspect. Then again, I understand they were trying to connect it to Steinbeck, etc. blah blah blah.
You got to admit that the whole Steinbeck thing was a good theme for their journey, because they could have pedaled the 1500 (or so) miles anywhere else in the world. Making it a journey of discovery to that part of America, and keeping it simple with the low-income folks they met along the way kind of added some shine to the trip. The fact that they were Ozzies, and loved Steinbeck so much made it rather nice.

What this film reminded me of my touring days was the sleeping on sidewalks and benches, washing up in truck stop bathrooms, and meeting nutjob people along the way. I don't want to revisit my touring days if I have to live like I was homeless again, or exist on packages of ketchup and scraps from a dumpster. Never again.
Old 04-20-21, 06:37 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
You got to admit that the whole Steinbeck thing was a good theme for their journey, because they could have pedaled the 1500 (or so) miles anywhere else in the world. Making it a journey of discovery to that part of America, and keeping it simple with the low-income folks they met along the way kind of added some shine to the trip. The fact that they were Ozzies, and loved Steinbeck so much made it rather nice.
I appreciate that aspect of it, I guess I just wanted to see more of the cycling side of it, too.
Old 04-20-21, 07:31 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
While the documentary is entertaining, and I certainly can't knock their determination in completing the trip, I think one can learn more in what not to do. Of course, that can be entertaining as well. As I mentioned above..with a bit more planning up front they could have made things a little/lot more pleasant. On the other hand..they're kids & kids thrive on that sort of thing..initially.

There's tons of good sources on the web to learn more about touring and one of the best is researching specific topics here on BF-Touring. If you have camping/backpacking experience..you're well down the road already, so to speak. Knowing your own requirements in what kind of comfort you prefer(from trial and error), and how to get there, is a big plus.