Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Any 3 wheelers on this forum?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Any 3 wheelers on this forum?

Old 08-31-21, 10:02 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Oh, yea, one wheel drive stinks. The town & Country's had open differentials. One of my temptations when I build a trike is to go to a solid axle. It has it's problems too. The bike wants to go straight when you want to turn unless you lean it so that the inside wheel spins. When I looked up trikes for this response it seems that most have one wheel drive including Schwinn. It is Pacific now marketing as Schwinn so it's not the same as the old Chicago built Town & Country.

I did find this video from Utah Trikes. But this is a bunch of work and parts to get a differential.

The Samagag website looks like they gave this product some engineering. It has a forged body and uses bevel gears. They seem to provide axles and hubs as well. But how do you buy this stuff, how much does it cost and can you talk to anyone about what your specific needs are?

samagaga.com/WhatsInsideDifferential

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 10-11-21, 05:21 AM
HeatedGloves

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-01-21, 12:45 PM
laverty67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since my last entry I found only a couple mechanical parameters for adjustment (shim steering, axle nut under torque value). Lo and behold, it came down to my body not understanding I was no longer on two wheels! I've been fine ever after..Kind of like becoming a parent
Old 11-30-21, 01:18 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
laverty67 that is a whole lot less expensive and complicated than getting a differential. 'Good to hear that. Now you can put your mind to thinking about better things.
Old 09-20-23, 03:12 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hey,
I think you are right. Almost all of the non-Schwinn trikes were one wheel drive. And when you pedal them they don't go straight. The old Schwinn Town and Country had a differential. For me that meant that I could not ride it tipped up on two wheels like the other trikes. Whichever wheel left the ground, that is the wheel that the differential sent the power to, and that wheel would spin.

If we were to make a trike with a solid rear axle, we would not have this problem when going straight, but we would have problems when turning because our inside wheel will want to turn less than our outside wheel.
So sorry to drag back an old thread. i never realised you did trikes here! I wanted one, so I got a propretary un-named little black beast with 8 gears which with its 20" wheels looks pretty darn good imo. All of the gears are of course low.
And the dreaded one-wheel drive like most of this type.
Now I'm not aware of mine pulling to one side or the other except where a pronounced camber is evident, but a solid axle driving both rear wheels would seem to have its advantages. Would the disadvantages hold sway? A bit more tyre wear and a fight betweeen tyres for supremacy on those bends, which the outside wheel would always win, doesn't sound so bad, y'know!.
I been thinkin' of cheap innovative solutions to achieve this, without wrecking the trike in the process.
A big washer and Loctite superglue on the free wheel hasn't quite worked . . . .