Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 09-03-21, 10:39 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by frogger72
Thanks! I actually have a late 80s Miele road bike that was given to me by a neighbour with one broken aero brake lever. Since I won't be keeping it or selling it for anything more than $300 I am on the lookout for cheap alternatives and that would probably do the trick vs spending double or more on tektros.
Tektro's levers can be had for less than $30. They are pretty great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33376781874...kAAOxy4YdTUc2e

And you can get them in long pull and short pull versions depending on the types of brakes you are using.
Old 09-03-21, 10:54 AM
craig_dahlke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Beautiful. What's the front rack you are using? I like the idea of not having to attach your front bag to the handlebars--- I hate losing hand positions....
Front rack is a cheap Sunlite Gold Tec which I've strapped a Wald 137 basket to and tossed a Dark Realm 137 basket bag in. I've heard some stories of this rack failing under heavier loads, and for a while I was kicking around the idea of getting a similar Nitto rack for the peace of mind, but then I also came across stories of steel Nitto racks failing when people attached baskets and overloaded em. I think the moral of the story is that any front rack that attaches to the canti posts, no matter how shiny/expensive, should be treated gingerly and not overloaded. While touring with this bike, I try to keep my high volume-low weight items up front and put the heavier stuff in the saddlebag. If you want to put a lot of weight on the front, it'd probably be better to get a rack that attaches to eyelets near the axle.
Old 09-03-21, 01:55 PM
orbeamike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 39 Posts
Rescued this from a dumpster and kept it over 70% original, it is now my dedicated winter rig/ errand runner. I even sold my touring bike in favor of keeping this.
Old 09-08-21, 09:33 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by pcons713
Here's my second dropbar mtb build - 1993 Trek 950. Almost all original aside from the conversion. Great handling and fit using a threaded-to-threadless stem converter. Using the MicroShift 3x7 brifters everything works well, though the FD indexing is a bit off due to the mismatch of road-mtb pull ratios. I have a barrel adjuster to make this manageable, but needing to stop before a big climb and make adjustments to use the small ring is a bit annoying. Any suggestions or tips aside from replacing the original Deore LX FD with a touring FD?

Originally Posted by fishboat
I have a '93 970 that I did a drop bar conversion on. I run Tourney 3x7 shifters into the stock top pull XT FD. The Tourney and FD match up perfectly...at least it shifts like you'd expect on any road bike with a triple. I've read here on BF that any of the DX, LX, XT series FD work well with road shifters. My only experience is with XT/Tourney combo. I'd either continue to tweak in your LX(I suspect there's a sweet spot there somewhere) or look for an XT.

Nice bike. Mine is now a dedicated touring bike and it's a wonderful ride. Did a 61 miler on it today..shakedown ride for an upcoming tour.
PCons713,
I was going trough my 970 today and had to disconnect the FD cable..which means I "lost" my perfect nice-shifting setup on the front end. It was tough getting it back(apparently I stumbled into the right setup when I first assembled it on the first try..). After futzing with it for a while with marginal success I disconnected the cable, loosened up the inline barrel adjuster to about mid-travel and started from scratch. Followed a mix of Calvin Jones/Park Tool video and RJ-Bike Guy's video..a little more tweaking & I now have good FD shifting back. Whole setup (success) seems to be particularly sensitive to the low limit screw adjustment. Determined my RD hanger was a bit out of alignment(slight DR rumble after completely setup) and fixed that..but that's a different issue. Please post back if you ever get yours adjusted in. I may be picking up another similar bike(same components) and it would be good to know where you netted out.
Old 09-08-21, 07:51 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts

Just f
Just finished converting a 1989 GT Team Avalanche that I have had for about 30 years. Test rides around the block were good. I found that I was between the middle and large chainring on the MTB triple and am trying a road triple. The 3x7 shifters are Micronew brand and seem fine.. To get the XT front derailleur to work with the shorter throw shifter I ran the cable on the opposite side of the clamping bolt, as suggested somewhere on this website.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 09-09-21, 08:56 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by craig_dahlke
Appreciate the kind words! I'm incredibly happy with this build....
What bars/stem are you rocking on your upright 950?
My apologies...
Some how I missed this question from post #7134 from July 10th of this thread and did not reply.
https://www.bikeforums.net/22136304-post7134.html

My powder coated 1989 or 1990 Trek 950 which was originally that same bright blue,
has upright bars, a Sunlite alloy North Road handlebar and a 1" quill stem adapter plus 8cm , 25.4 clamp stem, Origin8, I think.

A pic here on this upright bar thread.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20739318-post155.html

and here...
https://www.bikeforums.net/20630352-post139.html

Safe riding to all

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-09-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-09-21, 11:30 PM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 32 Posts
Not actually a mountain bike, but my TREK 750 hybrid drop bar conversion is pretty close, and it’s currently my favorite ride.
Likes For wschellen:
Old 09-10-21, 05:40 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by wschellen
Not actually a mountain bike, but my TREK 750 hybrid drop bar conversion is pretty close, and it’s currently my favorite ride.
Nice bike. Actually a 750 DB conversion may be one of the best conversion-types as it can handle larger tires and the frame is a bit lighter/more road like. I've been thinking about building up a 750 myself..one of the more versatile frames ever made, and there's lots of them around.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-17-21, 07:33 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
In 2000, I was looking to do something like this to my Multitrack, but fell hard for a Kona Jake the Snake (figuratively and literally... washed out on some gravel on a test ride) so just traded it in for that. Never regretted that, but I think the trek would have been a fun bike.
Old 09-17-21, 08:57 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Here's my second dropbar mtb build - 1993 Trek 950. Almost all original aside from the conversion. Great handling and fit using a threaded-to-threadless stem converter. Using the MicroShift 3x7 brifters everything works well, though the FD indexing is a bit off due to the mismatch of road-mtb pull ratios. I have a barrel adjuster to make this manageable, but needing to stop before a big climb and make adjustments to use the small ring is a bit annoying. Any suggestions or tips aside from replacing the original Deore LX FD with a touring FD?

Zooming into your pic, I'd say your front derailleur is mounted too high. Try lowering it down to where you are a few millimeters of above the big gear teeth, align it parallel to the big cog, and try again. That should be a good derailleur for what you attempting.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 09-17-21 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 09:40 PM
EB_AZ
Bikes are pretty neat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Sweet build pcons! Thanks for sharing this here. These 90's Treks make such classy drop bar conversions, especially with a modern bar/stem setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model of threaded to threadless stem adapter did you use here? I am doing a really similar conversion on a 1992 Trek 7000 with a 1 1/8" threaded headset (same Deore LX groupset that will be coupled to the same 3x7 Microshift shifters on a modern bar/stem setup) but am struggling to find a 1 1/8" to 1 1/8" adapter that is tall enough (and reputable/safe enough) to allow me to use a more common 7° stem rather than a normal/shorter adapter and high-rise 35°-40° stem (like I had to do on an '89 Hardrock build I did last year) to achieve a similar stack height and bar position. Your adapter extension and stem setup is what I am looking for as well, so any and all information you can provide here would be much appreciated!

Last edited by EB_AZ; 09-17-21 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 10:02 AM
tombc

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts

thorn fork, big apples, xtr stuff.

Last edited by tombc; 09-18-21 at 11:07 AM. Reason: edit: better pic
Likes For tombc:
Old 09-22-21, 12:12 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Bought this bike from a local shop 2.5 years ago. They had converted it to drop bars but there were many things I wanted to change, mostly cosmetic, some functional. I'm finally done with my modifications. It's a 1991 Bianchi Ibex. Took it on my first overnight trip a couple weeks ago and I love it.

Likes For bicyclepost:
Old 09-27-21, 06:14 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
Bought this bike from a local shop 2.5 years ago. They had converted it to drop bars but there were many things I wanted to change, mostly cosmetic, some functional. I'm finally done with my modifications. It's a 1991 Bianchi Ibex. Took it on my first overnight trip a couple weeks ago and I love it.
Looks great! Are those tires Panaracer Paselas? I'd love to hear a report on how they do. I've got 2.1" Maxxis DTHs on my '84 Stumpjumper Sport & I like them a lot, but I'm thinking I could go a little narrower & not miss anything. They handle street, path, & single track just fine.
Old 09-28-21, 10:09 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Before and after....

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 09-28-21, 11:17 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Lord loves a purple bike.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 09-28-21, 02:03 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
Did you paint the Salsa and then put Voodoo stickers on it?
Old 09-28-21, 04:50 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Salsa Voodoo? lol
Old 09-28-21, 08:08 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
Did you paint the Salsa and then put Voodoo stickers on it?
It was never a Salsa. Those were leftover decals from a resto-mod I started and traded off before I finished it. It is not a Voodoo either. I couldn't find replacement decals for what it was and these looked cool so I used these. It's a Performance M103 frame made of True Temper OX Ultra 2 and the fork is a Tange bi-plane from a 1983 Specialized StumpJumper.

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 09-29-21, 06:48 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Could these bikes be used in a gravel bike race or do they have specific rules as to what makes a gravel bike?
Old 09-29-21, 07:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Could these bikes be used in a gravel bike race or do they have specific rules as to what makes a gravel bike?
No race that I have been in or read about has limited the style of bicycle. The only rule has been you must pedal fully under your own power- so no e-assist.

There are often times separate podium categories for singlespeed and fatbike, which helps show just how varied the bikes used can be.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-04-21, 01:56 AM
pcons713

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Zooming into your pic, I'd say your front derailleur is mounted too high. Try lowering it down to where you are a few millimeters of above the big gear teeth, align it parallel to the big cog, and try again. That should be a good derailleur for what you attempting.
Originally Posted by fishboat
PCons713,
I was going trough my 970 today and had to disconnect the FD cable..which means I "lost" my perfect nice-shifting setup on the front end. It was tough getting it back(apparently I stumbled into the right setup when I first assembled it on the first try..). After futzing with it for a while with marginal success I disconnected the cable, loosened up the inline barrel adjuster to about mid-travel and started from scratch. Followed a mix of Calvin Jones/Park Tool video and RJ-Bike Guy's video..a little more tweaking & I now have good FD shifting back. Whole setup (success) seems to be particularly sensitive to the low limit screw adjustment. Determined my RD hanger was a bit out of alignment(slight DR rumble after completely setup) and fixed that..but that's a different issue. Please post back if you ever get yours adjusted in. I may be picking up another similar bike(same components) and it would be good to know where you netted out.
Yes, it has required a bit of adjusting and seems like it will work out well. Still not 100% but it is getting there, and a little touch to the barrel adjuster mid-ride is ok for now.

Originally Posted by EB_AZ
Sweet build pcons! Thanks for sharing this here. These 90's Treks make such classy drop bar conversions, especially with a modern bar/stem setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model of threaded to threadless stem adapter did you use here? I am doing a really similar conversion on a 1992 Trek 7000 with a 1 1/8" threaded headset (same Deore LX groupset that will be coupled to the same 3x7 Microshift shifters on a modern bar/stem setup) but am struggling to find a 1 1/8" to 1 1/8" adapter that is tall enough (and reputable/safe enough) to allow me to use a more common 7° stem rather than a normal/shorter adapter and high-rise 35°-40° stem (like I had to do on an '89 Hardrock build I did last year) to achieve a similar stack height and bar position. Your adapter extension and stem setup is what I am looking for as well, so any and all information you can provide here would be much appreciated!
I'm using a no-name stem adapter which I bought a while ago, so I don't know which website. I can't recall how tall this one is but I know its either 160 or 180mm. In this photo it isn't quite extended to the max height, so I can still bring the tops level with the saddle if needed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of many quill stem failures on the fork insert part so I'm not very concerned about the reputability. I think most fail near the handlebar clamp.

Last edited by pcons713; 10-04-21 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 07:53 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Yes, it has required a bit of adjusting and seems like it will work out well. Still not 100% but it is getting there, and a little touch to the barrel adjuster mid-ride is ok for now.
To me your front derailleur is either a bit high or twisted, but maybe it's just the picture angle. Here are some pics that I tried to take straight on to help from a similar vintage derailleur that if have. I took pics from all three gears so you can compare spacing. I also took a pic from above, sometimes with these old derailleurs I pinch the front end slightly, you can see it in the last picture. It seems to help. The big difference though is that I'm using a friction front shifter which lets me micro adjust my shifts.

Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 10-06-21, 06:05 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 152 Posts

UPDATE:

The Super Maxy non-drive arm had a crack (along with a variety of other factors) made fitting a proper bottom bracket difficult. I went with a SunXCD and had them install a new headset as well. Definitely need new brake pads. Plenty of little things need to be fine-tuned, but it's a bike! I can't wait to get on some good off-road terrain to really try this thing out!
Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-06-21, 07:10 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
The Super Maxy non-drive arm had a crack (along with a variety of other factors) made fitting a proper bottom bracket difficult. I went with a SunXCD and had them install a new headset as well. Definitely need new brake pads. Plenty of little things need to be fine-tuned, but it's a bike! I can't wait to get on some good off-road terrain to really try this thing out!
Love those SunTour 3 pulley derailers! Which one is it? I can't quite tell from the pic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.