Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

That's the fact Jack

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

That's the fact Jack

Old 09-11-21, 05:16 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
That's the fact Jack

Today's find at the "warehouse" 1972ish Jack Taylor unattended for years, left in an unheated storage my newest crusty critter. Campy, Stronglight, 3ttt, high flange, 5 speed, 144 bcd 175 strada, black cage pedals, a horrible Pletshcer clam rack attached with a dowel, patina everywhere, a waisted Unicantor saddle.

Old 09-11-21, 05:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Most of that will buff right out, no sweat.

Great score, another JT snatched from the jaws of death.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-11-21, 06:03 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Loving the box lining. Nobody does that any more and nobody did it better than the Taylor brother responsible for such things did it. The film of him doing the lining freehand with a little wheeled device is a ton of fun to watch.

I'm sad the downtube deals are in bad shape, but replacements should be obtainable.

Overall, great score. Cleaning it up will likely be some work, and God only knows what it will be like getting the fixed BB cup and the freewheel off, but the result should a great bike.
Old 09-11-21, 06:06 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 174 Posts
Jack Taylor

Per Merziac, with some elbow grease and love that will be a fine bicycle!
Old 09-11-21, 06:40 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I am such a sucker for Box Lining. Especially Jack Taylor. What is it about box lining? It is so simple, but so elegant. The same goes for the lug lining.

Anyway, I have to shake off my distraction. Nice find. Looking forward to seeing how it cleans up.
Old 09-11-21, 06:55 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Welcome to the Taylor Owners Club What a fine machine! Tour of Britain, the all-rounder, eh? Every bit as good as an Alex Singer audax bike, but you probably picked it up for a song.

The Taylors commonly marked the rear dropouts with serial numbers. The left side one, I think. You may want to check there, if you haven't already found the serial and that's how you're getting the date.

Color would be light blue flambouyant, I suppose. Jack himself did all the paint.

If you haven't checked out the Blackbirdsf site, it is the place to go for more Taylor obscura and info. You may be able to figure out the year. Taylor serials were relatively ordinal and straightforward.

If you can find a serial, Mike Thompson (meauxtown at yahoo dot com) will find you the build sheet. At least he did for me!

Sorry for the partial copypasta from the other Taylor thread going on right now. Just wanted to make sure you know what to do!
Old 09-11-21, 07:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

also owned a ToB from this annum

it were yeller with red d-box
had originally been sold by Stone's Bicycles of Alameda, California

was surprised how long was the W/B, even at this relatively late date

a customer sold/traded it to me

decided to build it up all Zeus as a project

would work on it from time to time as me time demands permitted

got it close to ready when a customer came though who wanted to purchase it so i sold it without ever riding the beast

couple months later customer came back wanting to sell/trade it back to me; had decided he wanted a Raleigh...or a mountain bike; one of those serial offender bikies who had to have a certain marque...but only for the present fortnight...then it was on to something else again

declined, so never got to ride me ToB

-----
Old 09-11-21, 10:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
I gotta start hanging around barns more often. Apparently that's where all the cool finds are.
Old 09-12-21, 08:07 AM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
What is box lining? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-21, 08:22 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by Bruizer
That is the pinstriping, it's very nice detail, that was done with basically a paint-pen.
Old 09-12-21, 08:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,880 Times in 1,645 Posts
Box lining is the addition of parallel pin stripes to form long, thin boxes for ornamentation of an object---in this case, the Jack Taylor's fork and frame.
Old 09-12-21, 08:46 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I gotta start hanging around barns more often. Apparently that's where all the cool finds are.
"Honey, there's a man holding a brazing torch and what looks like a custom fork reraking tool peering into the barn."
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-12-21, 01:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
as others have noted, it's using pinstriping to create a box (or two overlapping boxes) on the frame tubes.
Some examples that are in a bit better shape....

the seat lug area....

the top tube, showing the complete boxes.....

this shot shows how many of the tubes were adorned with the box lining....

other frame builders sometime copy this technique to add a bit of flair to a classic-inspired frame....

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-12-21, 01:57 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
That's the fact, jack!
Old 09-12-21, 03:17 PM
Mr. 66

So far mostly peaceful disassemblely.

The front brake caliper's pivot bolt was bent severely, and the adjuster arm has some wonk. I've addressed the bolt, the arm will wait. The rear derailleur came off just fine, the front derailleur was a different story. The fd was completely encrusted at the hinge, but only on the body not the clamp.

That needed a pry to open.

The driveside crank had no issues on removal, the cap and bolt all good. The NDS not so good I lubed, tried heat, the cap stripped of the 5mm use. I'll come back to that with my drill and try a pin wrench. Dang!

I cleaned up the hubs, pretty good, the spin very happily. The front is 4x, the rear has been restrung to 3x. The rear also has some pitting, oh well. Still feeling squirrelly I went to the freewheel. Not a good idea, that needs some more penetrating time. The TRIMO was not enough and I was trying to hard, I'll come circle back on that.

youch!

The next check, the stem. Yeah, it's stuck. The headset lock nut was finger tight. I'm glad I didn't have to fight that loose. I started the soak last night.

Im also trying a different method for the stem removal. Holding the front wheel was going to be nowhere near stable enough. So I'm going to try the J-clamp. The one end on the fork crown and the other is in straddle of the downtube.

Am I crazy? Anybody else hear banjos?
Old 09-12-21, 03:32 PM
Mr. 66

Sweet!!!! I got a turn out it! I need a break that did a number on my upper back.

Oh I just noticed an oil port.

ah buggers, I just can't get a grip of things.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-12-21 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-14-21, 10:56 AM
Mr. 66

Mostly peaceful...

Let me catch my breath, no the seatpost is not stuck lol. I was able to get it to break free by placing the frame on the ground stepping on the saddle grabbing the frame at the cable guide area for leverage being careful with the rear end off a step. It pulled out with a few tugs after that.

The damm dust cap is still an issue.
Old 09-14-21, 08:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

Mostly peaceful...

Let me catch my breath, no the seatpost is not stuck lol. I was able to get it to break free by placing the frame on the ground stepping on the saddle grabbing the frame at the cable guide area for leverage being careful with the rear end off a step. It pulled out with a few tugs after that.

The damm dust cap is still an issue.
Soak and firmly tap with a small piece of aluminum plate and small hammer, maybe heat too, then drive a torx bit in the hole, biggest one you can get in there and use as big a wrench or ratchet and 1/4 inch socket as you can.

Or just use a burr or Dremel mini cut-off wheel and hack it out of there.

If you have a compressor (you do have a compressor don't you), this can work miracles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harb...fox-b-1&pccc=1

Old 09-14-21, 11:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
The Jack Taylor continues to give Mr. 66 trouble, but that is why many bikes, of all ranks, end up at Bike Works. I've sort of adopted a saying with regard to this: They get donated for some reason. If anyone is game to take in a neglected bike of notoriety, it's John. Pristine bikes change hands as they should, but someone has to patrol the (occasional) rougher ranks of extant bikes/frames and be the caretaker of them. Ride the steel, not the paint or patina. It's not for everyone, and certainly 99% of the time not me, because I like princess-level paint if I can help it. At the end of the day, it's a darn JT and even in it's non-pristine state, it still remains a bike more than worthy of care and saving. This one should be a very good bike.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 09-15-21, 09:10 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by merziac
Soak and firmly tap with a small piece of aluminum plate and small hammer, maybe heat too, then drive a torx bit in the hole, biggest one you can get in there and use as big a wrench or ratchet and 1/4 inch socket as you can.

Or just use a burr or Dremel mini cut-off wheel and hack it out of there.

If you have a compressor (you do have a compressor don't you), this can work miracles.

Thanks Merziac! That's a good idea, I've been soaking the cap. I still had, yes had, another unsuccessful attempt at the cap yesterday before the RoS visitation. I made a makeshift pin wrench with a window pull. Here is that

Feable, just a feable attempt. I made the holes just a little larger for the screws to fit. Nah, its encrusted good in there. I was successful in bending the crap out of a perfect chrome window pull.

Next, I borrowed a Dremel from the RoS and cut a slot hoping to use a large flat driver. The big buzzer went off. Fail.

In thinking of the next attempt, I will drill the holes adjacent to the the bolt side to eat the side of cap from the insides and will pry and pull.

Since the Dremel was here at the 66 I took the opportunity to cut a dropout adjuster for dropout thread cleaner, a little hitch on the Taylor NDS but it will fine with a little more attention.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-15-21, 09:46 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The Jack Taylor continues to give Mr. 66 trouble, but that is why many bikes, of all ranks, end up at Bike Works. I've sort of adopted a saying with regard to this: They get donated for some reason. If anyone is game to take in a neglected bike of notoriety, it's John. Pristine bikes change hands as they should, but someone has to patrol the (occasional) rougher ranks of extant bikes/frames and be the caretaker of them. Ride the steel, not the paint or patina. It's not for everyone, and certainly 99% of the time not me, because I like princess-level paint if I can help it. At the end of the day, it's a darn JT and even in it's non-pristine state, it still remains a bike more than worthy of care and saving. This one should be a very good bike.
Hey thanks for coming by that was very helpful, not as successful as I hoped but I repeat, very helpful, and enthusiastic for my rebuild.

You have mentioned paint, I have been thinking of repaint. Of course the devil is in the details 👹. I definitely want the box lining. Actually box lining is not difficult. I think Mr. Taylor used a paint pen on roller wheels, similar to a Rapidiogragh pen that used to be used in graphic arts production. If, or when I should say do, I repaint I won't be using that or a pinstripe brush. I will use the same method as the white stripes of the late 60's Chevys.

After primer is laid the white(stripe) color is painted, masking tape is then applied in the pattern desired and the color of choice is painted. The tape is then pulled revealing the linework. Chevy would then lay multiple layers of clear and wetsand the transition levels smoothly.

True it won't have the hand flow areas of line thick and thin, it would be more consistent and sharper than the original.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-15-21, 10:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Hey thanks for coming by that was very helpful, not as successful as I hoped but I repeat, very helpful, and enthusiastic for my rebuild.

I think Mr. Taylor used a paint pen on roller wheels, similar to a Rapidiogragh pen that used to be used in graphic arts production.
The Taylors originally had a paint guy who would do box lining with a brush. He either retired or died at some point, and Jack took over the box lining, using the roller of which you speak. I don't know exactly when the transition occurred, but you can probably tell if yours was done with a brush or a roller. Jack was the paint guy, but Norman mostly did the brazing and Ken was wheelbuilder and assembler.
Old 09-15-21, 03:19 PM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by scarlson
The Taylors originally had a paint guy who would do box lining with a brush. He either retired or died at some point, and Jack took over the box lining, using the roller of which you speak. I don't know exactly when the transition occurred, but you can probably tell if yours was done with a brush or a roller. Jack was the paint guy, but Norman mostly did the brazing and Ken was wheelbuilder and assembler.
Thats some grouping of craftsmanship. Most everything looks good, there is a bum about the seattube clamp. I think someone Drewwed(drilled) it for a newer pin. It just doesn't look right, I also think there was damage from someone else's attempt at post removal. I'll post a picture of that later.

I was successful in drilling the dust cap with holes adjacent to the bb bolt without damaging the crank thread, and was able to remove the bolt. That was a stiff going.

The drive side cup removes very easily. The NDS not so well. The cups and spindle are in great condition thought.

The pin wrench broke trying to remove the NDS. I think I have another, in the meantime the cup is having a PB soaking.
Old 09-15-21, 04:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
That crank dust cap certainly was Jacked up. Great machine, though.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-16-21, 04:49 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

My compressor doesn't have the capacity for air tools so I use a ROTO ZIP with the flex shaft attachment. It has paid for itself about 3 times over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.