Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Stand recommendation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 12:00 PM
Dan G.

Bikes: Giant Hybrid, Vintage Trek 400 series, Vintage Univega Rover Sport.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking to buy a bike stand. I like the collapsable kind for in my garage. Any brand recommendations?
Old 03-15-21, 12:35 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Park Tool makes the best stands.

There are others out there, but they do not have the stability of the great Park Tool.

The Park Tool is much heavier
Old 03-15-21, 12:39 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
The one sold in ALDI / LIDL is fantastic.
Old 03-15-21, 02:12 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
What's your budget? As a pro mechanic, the nicer portable Park stands are petty nice but I personally prefer Feedback Sports—even more stable and a faster clamp design.

At the mid end of price it's hard to go wrong with a Park PCS-10. Wish I was more familiar with stands at lower price points, I'm sure most of them are fine for occasional home use.
Old 03-15-21, 02:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I believe ALDI/LIDL sell this one, though for a lower price: https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Adj...5838982&sr=8-6.

It's a bargain, and it's a lot better than nothing, but it's not anywhere near the quality of higher end stands like a Park. I have one bike, and I live in an apartment. The ALDI stand is all that I have room for, either for storage or use. If I had a garage and the budget, I'd get something that could withstand heavier use than I think the ALDI version can.
Old 03-15-21, 02:58 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I have this one. I chose it because of the ratings, and it's everything the ratings claim it to be. https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Mecha...16368691&psc=1
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 03-15-21, 05:47 PM
Dan G.

Bikes: Giant Hybrid, Vintage Trek 400 series, Vintage Univega Rover Sport.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the replies. I am new to the site, and do appreciate it. I will be visiting Aldi and Lidle.
am trying to balance my biking/riding hobby ($), VS. Buying good quality professional equipment $$
Old 03-15-21, 05:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
What's your budget? As a pro mechanic, the nicer portable Park stands are petty nice but I personally prefer Feedback Sports—even more stable and a faster clamp design.

At the mid end of price it's hard to go wrong with a Park PCS-10. Wish I was more familiar with stands at lower price points, I'm sure most of them are fine for occasional home use.
I second that! I have the Feedback Sports Ultralight: Feedback Sports Ultralight Repair Stand | REI Co-op It has a tripod design which has a bigger footprint, and is therefore more stable, than the Park Tool PCS-10.2, which is a bipod. In a tripod the weight of the bike opens the stand, while in a bipod the weight of the bike collapses the stand. The Feedback Sports stand is aluminum which is lighter than the stainless steel used in the Park Tool. It is rated for bikes up to 85 lbs., and handles all of my family's bikes which range from just under 18 to just over 31 lbs.
Old 03-15-21, 06:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I second that! I have the Feedback Sports Ultralight: Feedback Sports Ultralight Repair Stand | REI Co-op It has a tripod design which has a bigger footprint, and is therefore more stable, than the Park Tool PCS-10.2, which is a bipod. In a tripod the weight of the bike opens the stand, while in a bipod the weight of the bike collapses the stand. The Feedback Sports stand is aluminum which is lighter than the stainless steel used in the Park Tool. It is rated for bikes up to 85 lbs., and handles all of my family's bikes which range from just under 18 to just over 31 lbs.
Lots of incorrect info

Pack is steel but not stainless steel. it is a tripod in that it has three contact points the center post angles over the 2 front legs. it takes up less floor spaces than the feedback sports.. open and collapse???? don't know what the heck you are talkng about, doesn't make any sense

I would not be surprised that park is heavier....it is a true heavy duty buy once grandkids inherit kind of stand

Old 03-15-21, 06:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Park PCS 10 for the win. heavy but that is good. Best single tool decision i have made.

Old 03-15-21, 06:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Lots of incorrect info

Pack is steel but not stainless steel.
You are right. Park Tool stand is just steel. So just one piece of incorrect info. Don't know if that constitute "lots".

Originally Posted by squirtdad
it is a tripod in that it has three contact points the center post angles over the 2 front legs. it takes up less floor spaces than the feedback sports.. open and collapse???? don't know what the heck you are talkng about, doesn't make any sense
Of course it has three contact points when deployed; otherwise it would not stand. But its folding mechanism is that of a bipod, i.e., the 2 front legs are unfolded from the center post to deploy the stand. Even when the stand is fully open, the center post is slanted. So when there is weight at the top of the center post, i.e., when a bike is mounted, the weight tends to reduce the angle between center post and the 2 front legs; that is what I meant by collapse. Whereas the folding mechanism of the Feedback Sports stand is that of a tripod, i.e., 3 equally-spaced legs arranged around a center post, which is perfectly straight vertically when fully open. So when there is weight at the top of the center post, the weight forces the tripod to open. Look at their respective product photos and you will see what I mean.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 03-15-21 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 07:12 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I worked in shops for many years as a young man and was exposed to a lot of stands but my favorite was the Park Pro. For my own use I have two, the PRS-10 and the PRS-20 "Team Stand". The PRS-10 gets the most bike time but the PRS-20 is I think a better stand for adjusting because you get un-hindered access 360 degrees around the bike, and it's more portable and a professional-quality stand.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 03-16-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-15-21, 07:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I've had the Feedback (then ultimate support) Pro Elite for at least 10 years and works great. I also have a couple of the ALDI bikemate stands and they are just fine for general maintenance/tuneup work. If I need strong and sturdy like stubborn BB parts it goes in the Feedback.
Old 03-15-21, 09:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

I have the older version of the Feedback stand, maybe 12 - 15 years old now, and it has worked flawless. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-16-21, 01:32 AM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Park Stands

I have BOTH The Park PRS 25 Team stand and the Park PCS 10.2 stand......

At a pretty hefty price premium, (100 bucks) the Team stand is excellent. It is light weight and has a slightly better clamp. The lowest position tilts the rear of the bike up a little higher than I’d like. I like that the way the two bottom floor struts are designed, it can not collapse under the weight of the bicycle.

HOWEVER, the 10.2 is an excellent stand. The clamp that supports the floor struts COULD possibly slip under very heavy (e bike) conditions, POSSIBLY causing collapse, but Park sent me a modified clamp, along with an additional clamp to prevent this. I wound up not replacing the original clamp but I did add the additional clamp. No way the clamp is moving / collapsing now...I never had a problem originally, but Park offered the upgrade, so I did it. I do like that the minimum height keeps the rear wheels of my bikes just slightly off the floor, so the bikes are reasonably level...One thing I DON’T like is that when the floor struts are fully extended, the clamp angle is slightly past horizontal, unlike my Team stand. This means the bike is not perfectly vertical when clamped.....it is tilted inward on its vertical axis slightly. This could be an intentional design to keep the center of gravity more centered /stable if you flip the bike frame over with a heavy bike...Dunno...The stand is heavy, but IMHO, in a good way...The clamp is good, but not quite as nice as the Team stand......

I like both these better than the Feedback stands.....their third leg gets in the way for me....and I don’t like their clamp......

Last edited by 55tele; 03-16-21 at 01:53 AM.
Likes For 55tele: