Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Late model Motobecane Le Champion. What do I need to know?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-05-21, 05:29 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

This Motobecane Le Champion popped up on the "Are you looking for one of these!?" thread and I beat feet over to pick it up. I realized it had issues, but at $95 I wasn't going to haggle.

I got a chance to clean it up today and its going to need some work. It looks like the previous and maybe original owner used the bike to commute and while it may have spent the night in the garage, I suspect its been on the original chain for many many miles, so the small chain ring is pretty worn and probably should be replaced, and I'm assuming the free wheel is toast.

While the bike came at least hosed off I found a slug of road grime that had fully plugged the stearer tube at the crown. There was duck tape here and there to pad the frame pump and such and still a rack tang attached behind the rear brakes.

The rims are mismatched and I think the rear was rebuilt. The hubs spin but the rear makes a zing sound like there's no grease on the bearings. The Ofmega pedals are loose on their spindles, so I assume the worse.

The head set has a hard index, which is a bummer.

It also looks like an undersized at 26.6 seat post was cranked down on, deforming the binder bolt set up. I'll need to find out the correct size and un pinch the seat tube.

I'm hoping Y'all can help me out with what year this bike is and what kind of French bike and Campagnolo Neuvo Record quirks I need to be aware of.

Here's a bunch of picture's:

Motobecane Le Champion

I'm not sure what happened to the crank and front derailleur pictures went, but I can get some tomorrow. Thanks, Woody

Last edited by bark_eater; 08-05-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 05:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Heck of a deal at $95. Enjoy it.
Old 08-05-21, 05:45 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,104 Times in 1,954 Posts
The brake set is worth that alone. Looked at the pictures. I have definitely seen a lot worse! Looks like a fun project especially if it is your size!

Originally Posted by bark_eater
This Motobecane Le Champion popped up on the "Are you looking for one of these!?" thread and I beat feet over to pick it up. I realized it had issues, but at $95 I wasn't going to haggle.

I got a chance to clean it up today and its going to need some work. It looks like the previous and maybe original owner used the bike to commute and while it may have spent the night in the garage, I suspect its been on the original chain for many many miles, so the small chain ring is pretty worn and probably should be replaced, and I'm assuming the free wheel is toast.

While the bike came at least hosed off I found a slug of road grime that had fully plugged the stearer tube at the crown. There was duck tape here and there to pad the frame pump and such and still a rack tang attached behind the rear brakes.

The rims are mismatched and I think the rear was rebuilt. The hubs spin but the rear makes a zing sound like there's no grease on the bearings. The Ofmega pedals are loose on their spindles, so I assume the worse.

The head set has a hard index, which is a bummer.

I'm hoping Y'all can help me out with what year this bike is and what kind of French bike and Campagnolo Neuvo Record quirks I need to be aware of.

Here's a bunch of picture's:

Motobecane Le Champion

I'm not sure what happened to the crank and front derailleur pictures went, but I can get some tomorrow. Thanks, Woody
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-05-21, 05:52 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

I didn't even check its teeth. I'm a little intimidated by the potential cost of replacing the worn out Campagnolo parts, if I can find them.
Old 08-05-21, 07:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Just start overhauling stuff and see where the problems lie. I really doubt you'll have to replace much. Though it would be nice to secure matching rims for such a nice bike. Here are the catalogs:

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/
Old 08-05-21, 08:17 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am not sure you have the right post. The seat lug looks like it was bent to accommodate a smaller post.
Congrats on a great find!
Old 08-05-21, 08:26 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
Glad somebody grabbed it whom it would fit. I was very close to getting it myself, but already have two Moto's in the queue that aren't my size.

I have plenty of used but serviceable Campy bits, so if you're ever in the Baltimore area, bring a list. I find the parts choices interesting on that one. Grand Sport brakes, but Record cranks/mechs. And I'm surprised to see their rubber fake-leather bar wrap on a top of the line bike. I've had success just leaving it in place and wrapping cotton tape over it.
Old 08-05-21, 08:30 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Just start overhauling stuff and see where the problems lie. I really doubt you'll have to replace much. Though it would be nice to secure matching rims for such a nice bike. Here are the catalogs:

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/
Thanks for the catolog links. It looks like my bike is a 1981 model. I'd like to figure out if it had french threads on the bottom bracket and headset before I start takeing it appart.
Old 08-05-21, 08:49 PM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
My Le Champion is the same color/lugs etc. as yours. I figured it was a 79 but who knows. In any case both it and my 73 Le Champ frameset both have French bb threads
Old 08-05-21, 08:54 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by jeirvine
Glad somebody grabbed it whom it would fit. I was very close to getting it myself, but already have two Moto's in the queue that aren't my size.

I have plenty of used but serviceable Campy bits, so if you're ever in the Baltimore area, bring a list. I find the parts choices interesting on that one. Grand Sport brakes, but Record cranks/mechs. And I'm surprised to see their rubber fake-leather bar wrap on a top of the line bike. I've had success just leaving it in place and wrapping cotton tape over it.
Thanks for the offer. I'll be tucking this away for while, till I get a bunch of other projects done. Just about every bike I have has 80's Japanese running gear. Campagnolo stuff, I dont even know what I dont know...
Old 08-05-21, 08:56 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by 3Roch
My Le Champion is the same color/lugs etc. as yours. I figured it was a 79 but who knows. In any case both it and my 73 Le Champ frameset both have French bb threads
I'm going with '81 because thats the only year with the same paint and the rubber handlebar covers.
Old 08-05-21, 09:05 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I'd like to figure out if it had french threads before I start taking it apart.
Unless you plan on replacing something, the only difference it will make is the fixed cup, which most do-it-yourselfers probably just leave in place anyway.