Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Mystery Brake Mfg on new Trek Verve

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 05:32 AM
Daniel 62
Old Peddler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, This has me very curious and somewhat concerned. I've just Got Brand new Trek Verve 2 after a long hiatus.
I was fortunate to find this in stock. Trek advertises this bike to have Tektro M275 Hyd.brakes. Upon close inspection they are not Tektro. The only markings are the word "Power" on the caliper. I've had Tektro products before, and there not bad. If I had my choice I'd go with Shimano. I bought this bike to be able to get out & exercise, My age & health are not great. This should be all the bike I need, I sent pics to the Tektro rep and he said they were Not any Tektro brand. The dealer I bought from has no clue what so ever. I have only put about 25 miles on the bike and it stops just fine. I'm pretty sure these will be OK until I need to replace the pads. Maybe in this pandemic like everything else, bike components are hard to find. Trek should at least update there descriptions and include an addendum. Brakes are certainly a safety related part.
Any comments?
Thanks
Dave

Unknown Mfg
Old 09-04-21, 07:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Those look like a knock-off of the hydraulic Shimano BR-M395, though they seem to be missing a bleed port. I'm sure Trek are sourcing parts from anywhere they can right now, as parts are in such high demand. But I'd agree that this is a bit disappointing.

What are the brake levers up on the handlebar? Are they generic as well?
Old 09-04-21, 09:26 AM
Daniel 62
Old Peddler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Those look like a knock-off of the hydraulic Shimano BR-M395, though they seem to be missing a bleed port. I'm sure Trek are sourcing parts from anywhere they can right now, as parts are in such high demand. But I'd agree that this is a bit disappointing.

What are the brake levers up on the handlebar? Are they generic as well?
The levers seem to be generic as well.
Old 09-04-21, 06:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Yes -- those look like copies of Shimano levers (definitely not Tektro).

Folks here have reported non-standard parts on their Trek bikes over the past year or so. Some have reported contacting Trek about it and Trek actually sent the correct parts to them in the mail! So you might give that a try. Let them know you're disappointed to have generic/knock-off parts on a premium bike. They might surprise you.
Old 09-04-21, 09:04 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a pair of 2022 Verve 2.0 Disk, both of our have the Tekito brakes. However my tires are Kenda and hers are the H5s.
Old 09-05-21, 11:17 AM
Daniel 62
Old Peddler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll call Trek on Tuesday and see what they say. I dont mind low budget components, But Brakes are important,and Trust in a brand goes a long way. Worst case I'll end up buying Shimano sets, I found them reasonably priced.

Dave
Old 09-05-21, 02:40 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I would INSIST on any brand honoring their spec sheet. You paid for Shimano, you shouldn't Himani.
Originally Posted by Daniel 62
Thanks for the replies, I'll call Trek on Tuesday and see what they say. I dont mind low budget components, But Brakes are important,and Trust in a brand goes a long way. Worst case I'll end up buying Shimano sets, I found them reasonably priced.

Dave