Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1x11 Gearing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1x11 Gearing

Old 12-14-20, 04:02 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
1x11 Gearing

New builder here. This summer I built up a Velo Orange Pass Hunter with a Shimano GRX 800 series drive train.
Up front I have a GRX FC-RX810 40t 1x crankset
In the rear I have GRX RD-RX812 1x11 derailleur and an XT CS-M8000 11 speed cassette with 11-42t cogs.

I have logged about 500 miles on this setup since June and I have repeatedly found myself not having enough high end gearing. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have only needed to get into the big 42t low gear once.

I believe the easiest/most efficient solution to balancing these two issues is a larger front chainring. Am I correct? Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 12-14-20, 04:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You are correct.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-14-20, 04:38 PM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RefRick
New builder here. This summer I built up a Velo Orange Pass Hunter with a Shimano GRX 800 series drive train.
In the rear I have GRX RD-RX812 1x11 derailleur and an XT CS-M8000 11 speed cassette with 11-42t cogs.

I have logged about 500 miles on this setup since June and I have repeatedly found myself not having enough high end gearing. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have only needed to get into the big 42t low gear once.

I believe the easiest/most efficient solution to balancing these two issues is a larger front chainring. Am I correct? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I have the same gearing on my gravel bike . I'm actually looking for a little lower gearing went to my lbs and ordered a 38 tooth front chain ring. They haven't gotten it in yet hopefully it will give me the gearing Im looking for. Are you thinking about going with a 42 front chain ring or even larger ?
Likes For cloud:
Old 12-14-20, 05:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Yes. You are discovering the limitation of 1x gearing, but it doesn't sound so bad. You give up one end of the range in exchange for gaining in the other end. There is a 381% difference between one end and the other, and that's pretty decent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-14-20, 06:16 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by cloud
I have the same gearing on my gravel bike . I'm actually looking for a little lower gearing went to my lbs and ordered a 38 tooth front chain ring. They haven't gotten it in yet hopefully it will give me the gearing Im looking for. Are you thinking about going with a 42 front chain ring or even larger ?
I am debating between 42 and 44, but I think 42 should be sufficient. I am not an elite athlete or anything, just a guy in decent shape who rides a lot. Plus if I get it wrong, I am confident I will be able to sell off the extra part.

Are you running GRX components as well or do we just have the same gearing? I have been window shopping since cxwrench replied. So far, I have found 2 companies that make replacements specifically for the GRX series: Wolf Tooth and Garbaruk. Both are also compatible with the 600 or 800 series.
Shimano only makes the GRX in 40t or 42t. I have not checked on chainring compatibility with other Shimano series.
Wolf Tooth offers 38t through 46t but the only size they have in stock is the 40t on their site. Looks like JensenUSA might have multiple sizes in stock.
Garbaruk offers 38t through 52t.
Old 12-14-20, 06:19 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by noglider
Yes. You are discovering the limitation of 1x gearing, but it doesn't sound so bad. You give up one end of the range in exchange for gaining in the other end. There is a 381% difference between one end and the other, and that's pretty decent.
That's the reason why I included that I have barely used the granny gear. Since I am rarely using it, I figured it gave me so room to move in the other direction.
Old 12-14-20, 06:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
That's the reason why I included that I have barely used the granny gear. Since I am rarely using it, I figured it gave me so room to move in the other direction.
When you DID NEED the 42T cog, how badly did you need it?
Will you ever need it again?
A 2T change up front is hardly worth messing with, considering the cost.
You might consider working on your cadence on the high end if you're <100 RPM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-14-20, 07:25 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
When you DID NEED the 42T cog, how badly did you need it?
Will you ever need it again?
A 2T change up front is hardly worth messing with, considering the cost.
You might consider working on your cadence on the high end if you're <100 RPM.
I needed it for what I consider a moderate climb, but near the end of a 30 mile ride which was spent keeping pace with an amateur competitive rider 10 years younger than me. I was gassed. I have climbed this hill in the past without getting onto the big cog. My typical climbing style is out of the saddle in a higher gear as opposed to spinning away in a low gear. This bike is not setup to track my cadence but I have others that are. I do pay attention to my cadence and make adjustments even without the computer.

The bigger issue for me is the high end. Even on relatively gradual descents, I regularly hit my highest gear and can do nothing but coast. I brought up the fact that I rarely use the low end because it would allow me to adjust the gearing more towards the high end.

I have been second guessing the impact this change will have as well. With this additional information, would it change your recommendation? Possibly a bigger gear change up front?
Old 12-14-20, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
1X is awesome but you give up things but hey you give up less than you would with a single speed set up (or 1x1). If you don't mind spending a little extra cash try a different chainring it is not like chainrings are so ridiculously expensive. Plus it is always good to have back up stuff or say hey I am doing a hilly route maybe I will swap chainrings or I am doing a pretty flat route bring out the big one.

I love my 1x9 hybrid, it is a ton of fun but yeah I don't have enough high end for a lot of stuff and certainly miss out on some low end on some stuff but it is perfect for putting around and smaller hills but can tackle really anything under a good rider.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-14-20, 09:41 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself a fast guy by any stretch but I would not be happy trying to keep up speed with a 40t, my gravel is a 2x and I've found myself using that 46/11 a good bit. My last ride on it was 25 miles and my average cadence was 72rpm with some jumps to 100 and into the wind some drops. There were several minor hills and that gear was nice to have to make up a little extra speed without winding myself. Haven't ridden any place mountainous in a while now so I can't compare but the 34/34 would be the same 1 to 1 as a 42/42 and I haven't needed easier then that even with saddle bags on it though some punchy hills made it close to walking. I'd guess going to a 42 or 44 wouldn't hurt the low end that much but maybe a little more speed at optimal times will help overall energy levels for when you do need the low gear.
Old 12-14-20, 10:24 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
So we all have different needs.

My current ride is 40 x 11-36 and I'll frequently swap out for my 11-42 because I know I'll need it. In fact, sometimes I want even lower.

I only ride in the mountains.

Descents are switchbacks, rutted, and washboards. That keeps me away from maxing out my gears. On the road I'll occasionally want more but I just tuck instead. Amazing, my speed is pretty much the same.

These bigger ring bikes seem too high for my stuff.

Even on the flats, I'd need to average in low 20s to need more gears. I can only do that on perfect days on pavement and a road bike. No risk of that in the dirt.
Old 12-14-20, 11:48 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Another (more expensive suggestion). Swap out your cassette for a SRAM 10-42T cassette. You'll need an XDR driver to replace your Shimano driver too, but your RD and shifter will work just fine with the SRAM cassette. This way you'll increase the range from 382% to 420%, so you get to keep your current low gear while gaining an extra gear on the top end.
Old 12-15-20, 12:30 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
I am debating between 42 and 44, but I think 42 should be sufficient.
40 to 42 is a 5% increase, 40 to 44 is a 10% increase in gearing. You're hardly going to notice 5%. If you're going this route, may as well jump straight to 44. Or higher.
Old 12-15-20, 01:11 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Shrug. Everyone is different; the only time I've wished for a higher gear on my 1x 40/11-36 bike was when indoor racing. Outside, sure on steeper descents I'd have to coast, but it's a waste of energy to overcome aero drag when well over 30mph. That energy is better used to drill it uphill.
Old 12-15-20, 05:20 AM
cloud

I am debating between 42 and 44, but I think 42 should be sufficient. I am not an elite athlete or anything, just a guy in decent shape who rides a lot. Plus if I get it wrong, I am confident I will be able to sell off the extra part.

Are you running GRX components as well or do we just have the same gearing? I have been window shopping since cxwrench replied. So far, I have found 2 companies that make replacements specifically for the GRX series: Wolf Tooth and Garbaruk. Both are also compatible with the 600 or 800 series.
Shimano only makes the GRX in 40t or 42t. I have not checked on chainring compatibility with other Shimano series.
Wolf Tooth offers 38t through 46t but the only size they have in stock is the 40t on their site. Looks like JensenUSA might have multiple sizes in stock.
Yes grx 800 . I looked and could not find a 38 in stock anywhere. So I went to my lbs he said he would order me one but laughed and said it might take about 6 months to get. I'm sure I probably could find it cheaper but he quoted me a price of $85.00 sorry I don't remember the brand.He did say I should not have to change the chain length .

Last edited by cloud; 12-15-20 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 10:19 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Yep, 11t is as small as it really goes on the high end so your only option is a bigger front chainring.

I have been wanting a GRX crank for my gravel bike for a couple of years now. I need lower gearing for bikepacking with a touring load and the GRX stuff allows a chain ring smaller than 34t.

Have you considered a 2x front crank? Sounds like it would be a better fit for your type of riding.
Old 12-15-20, 12:07 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by cloud
Yes grx 800 . I looked and could not find a 38 in stock anywhere. So I went to my lbs he said he would order me one but laughed and said it might take about 6 months to get. I'm sure I probably could find it cheaper but he quoted me a price of $85.00 sorry I don't remember the brand.He did say I should not have to change the chain length .
I just double checked and according to their site Jensen does has the 38 Wolf Tooth in stock. I haven't found a ton of companies making GRX compatible chainrings, I would bet that's the brand your LBS ordered for you. Doesn't sound like you're in a huge rush, I would stick with the LBS if you can wait.
Likes For RefRick:
Old 12-15-20, 12:31 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Have you considered a 2x front crank? Sounds like it would be a better fit for your type of riding.
I have a road bike setup with a 2x10 in addition to this gravel bike. This bike came about because I started building up old frames last year. In the process of scouring Craigslist for parts for a different build, I came across a never assembled Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame and forks for $25. Guy's was selling his friend's bike collection after he passed away suddenly. I was finally able to get to it thanks to the pandemic. I am extremely happy with how it came out, just ironing out a few little details like this to make it just right. This gearing is not the biggest deal, I am happy with the 1x setup but wanted to get the opinion of some more experienced bike people. I travel the northeast a good amount and this bike fills the gap nicely in the areas where I wouldn't be able to get out on the road bike. It's equal parts learning experience and problem solving. I really love the spectrum of responses ranging from is it worth it at all to converting to the SRAM 10-42. Here's a picture from right after I finished.

Likes For RefRick:
Old 12-15-20, 11:05 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

I have repeatedly found myself not having enough high end gearing. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have only needed to get into the big 42t low gear once.
I am curious in the kind of riding that you do. The hills around here I am frequently one to one ( 30t front 30t rear) and wished I had a 34 in the back instead :-)
What is your highest cadence that you are happy with?

My gravel bike has 40t up front and 11 in the back @ 100rpm that's good for about 28mph. I can only do 20-22 ish mph on flat with no wind. Just the slightest breeze or incline 1% and I am dropping a gear doing closer to 17mph.

https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 12-16-20, 10:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The 1 by 11 seems to be the "latest thing". And it does give you one more gear than what cyclist used for 50 or 60 years. Less to go wrong too.
Old 12-16-20, 03:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The 1 by 11 seems to be the "latest thing". And it does give you one more gear than what cyclist used for 50 or 60 years. Less to go wrong too.
And the shifting sequence is simpler.

I haven't tried 1x yet. Maybe one day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-20, 04:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Who's counting gears?

It's that with 11 (12,13) cogs, you can have a massive difference that nearly equals what you get with a double and have more simplicity.

I don't like it on the road where I may might need to go 5mph or 50+. I like the range of a double on a road bike.

For gravel and mountain biking, the difference between fast and crawling isn't quite so large, maybe 4mph to 30. So all those extra gears are just extra so I love 1x for that.
Old 12-16-20, 04:33 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a big fan of Sram's 10-42t cassette. Going that route would achieve the same top end as going with a 44th chainring but you'd retain the low end. Definitely more expensive to get a new cassette and XD driver than a new chainring but I think the increase in range is worth it. I personally run a 38T chainring because it's very hilly near me and sometime which i have even lower gears..
Old 12-16-20, 04:41 PM
cloud

A seller on eBay has the 38-42-46 wolf chainring in stock
eBay item number:303527250722 and this seller has a 44t
eBay item number:
What part of Philly?
Old 12-16-20, 08:24 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
You may need to lengthen our chain if you put on a significantly bigger front gear as well...