Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of Klein

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of Klein

Old 08-28-21, 12:24 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
For the love of Klein

I have long had a soft spot for Klein's. Half due to my early exposure to Cannondales, thus turning me on to aluminum. Other half was when I had my first up close look of one at a friend's house 10 years ago. It was a Quantum in I believe sunset linear fade. Knew immediately is was a high quality bike and wanted one ever since.

Got my wish half fulfilled with a 2001 Adept in a light blue to dark blue linear fade (can't recall the exact name for that paint scheme) early this year. Rebuilt it with full XTR, new rear shock, rebuilt forks, etc. Fun, but still wanted a Quantum. That desire was finally fulfilled back in May with a '91 Quantum Race.

So, here it is, my recently finished 1991 Klein Quantum Race. While this particular model, the Quantum Race, did not come with the integrated levers new (it was a downtube shifter bike), the technology existed and the model got it two years later. Some of the components are original to the bike, such as the brakes and headset, some are upgrades made shortly after the original owner purchased (which is who I bought it from) such as the seatpost and Salsa stem, others are upgrades I made, which is mainly the switch to 7 speed RSX STI shifters from the original downtube shifters and a triple crank, which necessitated a slightly different front derailleur and medium cage rear derailleur. Both derailleurs and crank are still part of the same 105-SC groupset the bike came with, just a couple years newer as that's when 8 speed STI was released.
Wheels are not original to the bike but both hubs are 105-SC, so true to original form. I will, however, be switching back to the original wheelset once I get around to polishing the rims.

The keen eye will notice that the stem is by no means an original Salsa color. I got that custom powder coated and will soon be applying my reproduction Salsa decals.

Bar tape I tried to match to the frame but it was tough, it's orange but not quite. Also red but not quite. Cable housing color fades opposite the frame color. The orange was easy to get. The purple, way harder than it should have been. The Jagwire purple housing wound up being a very light lavender. No good. Had to search high and low eventually got what is on it now from England.

The paint scheme appears to be a custom 2 color fade, not one of the standard 2 color fade options. The previous owner clearly walked into the shop, looked through the color options in the catalog, picked the two he liked, then waited several weeks for it to be painted and shipped. Pretty cool. He bought it at City Cycle in San Francisco, still has the the sticker at the bottom of the seat tube and even has a clear chainstay protector with City Cycle printed on it.

Now before anyone says I should have kept the downtube shifters, here's the thing. I live in the hills and have to shift a LOT. It's more fun, not to mention safer, if I don't have to lean over every 5 seconds to change gears. I also did keep every original component in case I ever feel like returning the bike to its true original form.

Boy that's a lot of words. TL;DR, behold the glory of 90's Klein greatness.

Old 08-28-21, 12:37 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Pantah - really nice looking Klein. The 105SC triple components with the RSX (3x7) shifters sound durable and versatile. Also - that Salsa stem repainted (or powder coated) looks great. You must be a person 6'2" or taller.

I have a Quantum (all white) and 2 Stage frames (plain red). I don't possess any of the exotic paint job Kleins unfortunately. I do applaud your attention to detail in making an effort to color coordinate things. If if were me, I might keep going and try to somehow get a saddle that completes the look you are after. Also, the seatpost could be played around with to get something more dramatic and complementary.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-28-21, 01:03 PM
Pantah

Originally Posted by masi61
Pantah - really nice looking Klein. The 105SC triple components with the RSX (3x7) shifters sound durable and versatile. Also - that Salsa stem repainted (or powder coated) looks great. You must be a person 6'2" or taller.

I have a Quantum (all white) and 2 Stage frames (plain red). I don't possess any of the exotic paint job Kleins unfortunately. I do applaud your attention to detail in making an effort to color coordinate things. If if were me, I might keep going and try to somehow get a saddle that completes the look you are after. Also, the seatpost could be played around with to get something more dramatic and complementary.
Thanks for the compliments. First off, yes, I am quite tall. 6'3" to be precise, with a 35" inseam, so long is the name of my game. It's a 61cm frame, not sure if I mentioned that. And yes, I went with the early RSX shifters as they're built very similar to the equally aged early 8 speed STI's and those have served me well on other machines. Not the crispest shifter ever, but I believe to be the most robust and fully rebuildable. The hoods are quite comfortably shaped too, much more so than the 9 speed stuff. And the Salsa stem is powder coated by a local place, only cost me 50 bucks for sand blast and powder coat. The original paint on it was in sad shape with the decal worse, so I didn't feet bad changing up the color.

The exotic painted Klein's are hard to come by these days, especially the early pre-Trek ones. I got extremely lucky with this.

All of your points on how to further compliment the period look have crossed my mind many times. I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably comfortable seat from the 90's with some wild colors to it. It's currently on its third saddle in as many rides, probably going to rotate through a few more in the near future.
I've thought about getting the upper portion of that 600 seatpost, the part which is narrower than the seat tube, painted to match the frame, either purple or orange. I'm a sucker for wild and contrasting colors, it'll probably happen at some point.

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Great project and bonus points for the triple crank.
With the hills around here, the triple is the only way to do it, at least for me. On my normal loop out my front door, there's 4 climbs which require low/low gearing, so I'm taking full advantage of it. There's also more than one descent where I'm in high/high gearing, so every single cog and chianring gets exercise.

For what it's worth, that 1056 triple crank was stupidly hard to find. Ebay had a total of two. One in the US, one outside of the US, Europe somewhere. The one here in the States looked good, but close inspection of the backside photo of the crank revealed a wallowed out taper. Big no-go, but the one out in Europe looked much better, so I bit the bullet on the 40 or 50 dollar shipping and got it. Well worth it, the crank and chainrings are in fantastic condition. Still missing the center caps though, that's my next fun vintage parts hunt.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 08-28-21, 01:42 PM
Pantah

Also, if folks want to post up photos of your own Klein, please do so. The more the merrier!
Old 08-28-21, 02:25 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Beautiful bike for sure!

I recently got my first Klein also. A Quantum II with some decent Campagnolo parts. I haven't done much to it since getting it. Upgraded record brakes, some lighter more compact Deda bars, couple of bottle cages, and then today I put on a Fizik Aliante 00 that just arrived in the mail. The saddle pushed the bike under my 18 lb goal by a full oz, LOL!

Seriously though, I love how fast yet comfortable this is out on the road. It's got some honest wear but man the original paint is quite sweet on these. I love the ride so much I'm thinking about looking at getting a Cannondale even though I'm supposed to be downsizing the stable. There's a CAAD8 Optima in patriotic red, white, and blue colors that caught my eye. Can't find it in any of the catalogs but it's supposed to be a mid 2000 bike.

Anyway, here's mine after I threw the new saddle on it today.

Old 08-28-21, 02:58 PM
Pantah

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Beautiful bike for sure!
The saddle pushed the bike under my 18 lb goal by a full oz, LOL!
Hot damn, that's light for an old Klein! Mine is nowhere near that, but to be fair, I wasn't shooting for ultra light weight. That's happening with a different early 90's build, more on that whenever it gets off the ground. Also, I'm digging the Ksyrium wheelset (at least that's what they appear to be). I really want to get a set in silver for said 90's project, but they're not cheap.

There's a CAAD8 Optima in patriotic red, white, and blue colors that caught my eye. Can't find it in any of the catalogs but it's supposed to be a mid 2000 bike.
You mean like this? I know it's a bit older than anything CAAD8 (it's a 1999), but it's still a stars and stripes paint job. This was a fun project too and is quite light, somewhere in the mid-18 pound range. Full and original Dura Ace end to end. $300 craigslist score. My Klein Quantum was $400 off facebook marketplace.
Also, big time Cannondale fan here, I say get one!

Likes For Pantah:
Old 08-28-21, 04:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
Also, if folks want to post up photos of your own Klein, please do so. The more the merrier!
I bought mine new as a bare frame - 1998 model in 2004 (LBS went out of business). Built it up piece by piece exactly the way I wanted, all DuraAce. Fun project. Still my main bike for road riding in good weather. Second set of wheels, second set of brifters, second rear derailleur, second crank, second pair of pedals, second handlebars, third saddle.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-31-21, 04:45 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
My '88 Pinnacle w/full Deore XT (M730)

Likes For retrofit:
Old 08-31-21, 05:23 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Boy, Kleins are pretty.

In the early 90s at a NORBA national here in So Cal, I witnessed a near-altercation between a Klein guy and a Cannondale guy. One accused the other's company of IP theft, and it got pretty heated. Kind of funny.
Old 08-31-21, 07:56 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 234 Posts
1991 Klein Rascal Resto

Likes For victorm:
Old 09-01-21, 05:32 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 58 Posts
I have a 1986 Klein Quantum. It has become my favorite bike. DTS and all.
Old 09-01-21, 05:58 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
The paint on my early '80s proto-Preformance is boring.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 09-01-21, 03:45 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 121 Posts
Meet "Deep Purple". I believe this to be a mid/late 80's model due to it's 126 mm rear spacing. Frame, fork, and crankset were given to me. The remainder of this build came from my bins. Groupset is Campagnolo Chorus with the exception of White Industries hubs front and rear. Mavic Open 4 CD rims with Conti 5000 clinchers. Some fun machining work to the rear hub got 8 speeds into 126 mm without stretching the rear stays....fodder for another thread some rainy winter day. Wheels Manufacturing Camp-sh8 spacers and HG cogs work perfectly with the Ergos. An even 20 pounds on my scale.

Dean

7DC4332A-01F8-41D5-A125-56235B8939E3

90F43C70-9BBB-4A32-A877-3584E8793B4A
Old 09-01-21, 10:53 PM
Pantah

DiabloScott Oh hey, I've seen your blog about Kleins. Been meaning to email you with all the details including the serial number for you to add to the page. Can do that too with my late Chehalis built Adept too if you'd like.

retrofit Nice all original looking Pinnacle you've got there. One of these days, I'll find a mountain Klein like that in my size, tough to do when you're over 6 foot.

WaveyGravey I'd have kept the down tube shifters on mine but with the hills, I'm just shifting so often. Roads can be rough too, so one handing the bars on certain roads to shift can get a bit sketchy.

top506 Paint may be boring, but it's still a Klein and I love it. At least a thief is less likely to take notice of it if you leave it locked somewhere. Mine draws the eye so I likely will never ride it into a scenario where I need to leave it locked up for a long period of time. Got other, less vibrant bikes for that.

victorm I saw a brief bit of your thread on that bike before needing to hop off the computer a couple days ago. Bummer you had to repaint, but I'd say you've done a fine job with what you had to start with. Looks like you're nearing completion, can't wait to see it finished. For the brakes, are you going to go with canti's like it originally had or go with v-brakes?

Dean51 That thing looks stellar. Color, far as I can tell, is identical to the back half of my bike. I'd say that it's probably a few years newer than you think. It looks otherwise strikingly the same as mine, which is a '91. Mine is also a 126mm frame. I know that sizing lasted at least one more year until 8 speed 105 made it onto the Quantum Race in '93. I know the step up, the Super Race, got 8 speed Ultegra in '92 and the top of the line, the Delux Race, got 8 speed in the form of Dura Ace in '91.
So, your frame could theoretically be as new as '92. Semantics aside, it's a great looking bike and I'm digging the White Industries hubs. A friend just scooped up a '91 Cannondale Touring with the same set of hubs. I'm especially fond of White Industries since they're basically just down the road from me, I could ride there in a half an hour. Same town as old school Salsa, which is Petaluma.
P.S., I've also got a 7 speed hub I'm going to try to mate with a 9 speed older mountain cassette, just need to make the machining happen to test my theory.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 09-01-21, 11:01 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

DiabloScott Oh hey, I've seen your blog about Kleins. Been meaning to email you with all the details including the serial number for you to add to the page. Can do that too with my late Chehalis built Adept too if you'd like.
Road Kleins only. I'm way behind on my updates for that page.
Old 09-02-21, 06:51 AM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 234 Posts

retrofit Nice all original looking Pinnacle you've got there. One of these days, I'll find a mountain Klein like that in my size, tough to do when you're over 6 foot.

WaveyGravey I'd have kept the down tube shifters on mine but with the hills, I'm just shifting so often. Roads can be rough too, so one handing the bars on certain roads to shift can get a bit sketchy.

top506 Paint may be boring, but it's still a Klein and I love it. At least a thief is less likely to take notice of it if you leave it locked somewhere. Mine draws the eye so I likely will never ride it into a scenario where I need to leave it locked up for a long period of time. Got other, less vibrant bikes for that.

victorm I saw a brief bit of your thread on that bike before needing to hop off the computer a couple days ago. Bummer you had to repaint, but I'd say you've done a fine job with what you had to start with. Looks like you're nearing completion, can't wait to see it finished. For the brakes, are you going to go with canti's like it originally had or go with v-brakes?

Dean51 That thing looks stellar. Color, far as I can tell, is identical to the back half of my bike. I'd say that it's probably a few years newer than you think. It looks otherwise strikingly the same as mine, which is a '91. Mine is also a 126mm frame. I know that sizing lasted at least one more year until 8 speed 105 made it onto the Quantum Race in '93. I know the step up, the Super Race, got 8 speed Ultegra in '92 and the top of the line, the Delux Race, got 8 speed in the form of Dura Ace in '91.
So, your frame could theoretically be as new as '92. Semantics aside, it's a great looking bike and I'm digging the White Industries hubs. A friend just scooped up a '91 Cannondale Touring with the same set of hubs. I'm especially fond of White Industries since they're basically just down the road from me, I could ride there in a half an hour. Same town as old school Salsa, which is Petaluma.
P.S., I've also got a 7 speed hub I'm going to try to mate with a 9 speed older mountain cassette, just need to make the machining happen to test my theory.

yes the bike was beyond saving original paint but I tried to stay true to the paint scheme on it. In person the bike is a stunner and I’m really happy with how it’s coming together. I will be definitely putting cantilever brakes on it. One of my OCD ticks is empty cable hangers. Just can’t do it and for my riding cantilever brakes are more than sufficient. Likely purple Tektro RBP or DiaCompe 988 who knows but that’s the direction I’m thinking.
Old 09-02-21, 07:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Nice. I've long wanted a Quantum, but am always afraid that I'll get one of the ones that requires the Klein-specific BB and I either won't be able to find one or won't be able to run the crankset I want with it if I do.
Old 09-02-21, 09:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by himespau
Nice. I've long wanted a Quantum, but am always afraid that I'll get one of the ones that requires the Klein-specific BB and I either won't be able to find one or won't be able to run the crankset I want with it if I do.
Mine has one of those Klein-specific BB and it may cause me a headache in the future. But the bike is just such a good ride that I don't care. I'll enjoy it while I can and if I ever run into a problem with the BB I'll worry about it then. Life's to short to miss out on riding a good Klein.
Old 09-02-21, 10:00 AM
Pantah

jamesdak and himespau , mine is also the Klein specific press in bottom bracket. However, it's not that big of a deal. The bearings are conventional cartridge style bearings and can be easily found if you punch the bearing code, found either on the seal or printed on the outside edge of the outer race, into google. I bought a pair of bearings for something like 20 bucks on ebay, anticipating mine to need replacement, but they turned out to be in excellent condition, so they're sitting on a shelf for now. The spindle is a separate unit from the bearings and can be transferred to the new bearings. I can foresee getting the spindle centered correctly being tricky as there's no shoulder anywhere on it to stop it against the bearing, so it might take a few tries with a hydraulic press to get the spindle set how you want.If you do need a replacement, they're not as plentiful but new and used ones are still available, though I believe you'll be limited to square taper.

I haven't looked into it, but it might be possible to use a later splined drive type spindle if you can find a bearing with the same outer diameter but different inside diameter. If a splined spindle can be had just by itself, a bearing shop could probably get the bearing needed if you give them the dimensions of the bearing you need.
Old 09-02-21, 10:18 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 121 Posts
I dug into the replacement spindle issue when considering a crankset that req'd a longer length than the 102 mm that came with the frame. If I recall correctly, Phil Wood could supply new spindles in a variety of lengths. $pendy though. 'Agreed on the bearings....nothing special about them.

Dean
Old 09-02-21, 11:05 AM
jamesdak 

Yep, I know Phil Wood used to be able to hook us up on these so I haven't been too worried. With all the bikes I run through I've yet to find one with a problem that a little googling and then searching would find an answer too.
Old 09-02-21, 11:13 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Mine has one of those Klein-specific BB and it may cause me a headache in the future. But the bike is just such a good ride that I don't care. I'll enjoy it while I can and if I ever run into a problem with the BB I'll worry about it then. Life's to short to miss out on riding a good Klein.
Mine has the Klein bonded 1-1/16 headset and steer tube... I used to worry about what I'd do when I needed to replace it but it has been problem-free for over 20 years of lots of use.
Old 09-03-21, 06:17 PM
Pantah

Originally Posted by Dean51
I dug into the replacement spindle issue when considering a crankset that req'd a longer length than the 102 mm that came with the frame. If I recall correctly, Phil Wood could supply new spindles in a variety of lengths. $pendy though. 'Agreed on the bearings....nothing special about them.

Dean
No idea why, but mine came with an absurdly wide spindle, something like 125mm. It's so wide that when it was initially installed, it has more protrusion on the NON-drive side just to get the chain alignment right. Didn't have to touch it when swapping to a triple, chain line is still good and decent clearance between the chainstay and smallest chainring.
Old 09-04-21, 08:43 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

My Klein Performance has never been ridden (by me). It has the Phil Wood external bottom bracket bearings. The square taper bb is gone. Technically the bb shell should have been faced with quite a bit of aluminum material shaved away to get to 68mm spec.
Instead, the bb is unmodified and to get my Dura Ace 7803 HT2 crank to fit, I removed the spider side spacer. The chain line is a little odd so I will have to get back to everybody about whether or not I can get this to work well.
Likes For masi61:
Old 09-04-21, 10:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Will a 25mm tire fit a 1998 Stage Comp? or would i be limited to 23mm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.