Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Illegally dumped tires become bicycle lane barriers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Illegally dumped tires become bicycle lane barriers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The more wide angle photos show those as pretty isolated in the current installation, so probably not a problem. But, they may not be a universal answer everywhere.

Dealing with pedestrians or wrong-way cyclists in a narrow lane?

I've dealt with rumble strips on a HWY 99 near Portland. Moderate downhill. I usually hit the area when I'm absolutely exhausted, maybe 170 miles into my ride. Usually dark out when I get there. And debris and garbage all over the shoulder. A little swerving, and I'm hanging on for dear life. It isn't that the rumbles are a bad idea, just they become dangerous to my riding situation.

I also have pulled cargo trailers quite a bit. And I have managed to flip the trailer several times. Once was hitting a curb that was put in the middle of the road as apparently a lane barrier. Another time I flipped the trailer on a pothole. And, flipped it once entering a curb cut, and flipped it once exiting a curb cut. Managing to hit one of those tire barriers could absolutely launch the trailer.

I'm absolutely not a fan of fixed steel bollards. They often terrify me, and I have to stop, and disconnect my trailer to get through one set of bollards near Leaburg if I'm towing.

I haven't ridden around those plastic bollards much. I know of a few in Portland, but they just seem funny. There are times when there are no cyclists or pedestrians in the bike lane, and a minor incursion into the lane by a vehicle ordinarily wouldn't be bad, and might even be safer for the vehicle.

Nothing is a universal solution everywhere. I've learned the hard way that you basically need to memorize where rumble strips begin and end, not exactly ideal in bad lighting situations.

Can't help you with the trailer, not sure how anyone can be expected to engineer a path that can accommodate everything completely safely.
Old 02-03-22, 08:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genec
OK, just jumping in here for a moment, with a bit of an ironic chuckle... regarding "if the barriers kill drivers and car passengers." Well perhaps those drivers would finally learn to stay in their own lanes, eh? A standing meme for years is that steering wheels of cars should come equipped with a giant sharp blade, aimed right at the driver... so the drivers will finally learn to stay "between the lines."

Let's face it folks... they issue driver's licenses to just about anybody...

I have a pretty dark sense of humor, but that's disgusting. I really have nothing else to say to that, except I don't think you know what "ironic" means.

Also, you do realize that a passenger can die where they are completely blameless.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-03-22 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-03-22, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I doubt that many, if any motorists or general members of the public will chuckle, let alone listen to anything an "advocate" might propose if the advocate trots out that self-amusing meme or anything else as chuckleheaded outside the confines of the motorist bashing clique.

I would hope that it wouldn't be amusing to any cycling advocate either. This is cult-like "humor", going full-stop into dehumanizing the "other".

I hate to break it to people who do find that funny, but most cyclists drive cars, too. .
Old 02-03-22, 10:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I hate to break it to people who do find that funny, but most cyclists drive cars, too. .
As do at least some of the cyclists who chuckle when they think of this "humorous" meme, but that is presumably alright since presumably they are not among the hoards of unprofessional, poorly trained easily distracted doofus drivers who make life a living hell for bicyclists and the righteous few good drivers like themselves.
Old 02-03-22, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

As do at least some of the cyclists who chuckle when they think of this "humorous" meme, but that is presumably alright since presumably they are not among the hoards of unprofessional, poorly trained easily distracted doofus drivers who make life a living hell for bicyclists and the righteous few good drivers like themselves.

I have only the word of one rando that this is actually a "meme". Until proven otherwise, I'm not going to assume the numbers of people who would find that funny extend very far into the two digits.
Old 02-03-22, 11:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have only the word of one rando that this is actually a "meme". Until proven otherwise, I'm not going to assume the numbers of people who would find that funny extend very far into the two digits.
You may be right and most if not all have probably regurgitated it previously somewhere on BF or in another so-called "cycling advocacy" discussion.

However in defense of our very own "rando" he didn't make up this version of safety advocacy:
https://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/c.../tullock_spike
https://jalopnik.com/theres-actually...big-1791445206

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-03-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-04-22, 05:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You may be right and most if not all have probably regurgitated it previously somewhere on BF or in another so-called "cycling advocacy" discussion.

However in defense of our very own "rando" he didn't make up this version of safety advocacy:
https://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/c.../tullock_spike
https://jalopnik.com/theres-actually...big-1791445206

A couple of references hardly qualify as a meme, but ok....

Tullock invented the concept as an argument against seat belts based on risk compensation--the theory at the time being that seat-belted drivers would take more risks. It was a dumb argument that turned out to be wrong in prediction.
It also ignored the fact that at the time, steering wheel hubs were killing and maiming drivers fairly regularly. People clearly were already ignoring essentially the same risk.
Old 02-07-22, 02:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Tesla crashed into bollards. (See, this is the CORRECT usage of car crash.)

Skip ahead to 3:15 if you don’t want to be bored. Actually, skip it anyway.

Nota bene - the driver and passenger use bad words. So NSFW?

-mr. bill
Old 02-21-22, 04:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...that's in downtown San Jose. The normal ROE do not apply in downtown San Jose. It's a free fire zone.