Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is spreading the rear triangle on a classic vintage frame taboo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is spreading the rear triangle on a classic vintage frame taboo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 09:11 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
I'll add a couple of stuffs, although it looks like it maybe superfluous:

• The sports bike LBS I went to for years refused to do it. And they were adamant. They would do anything else and understood bicycles having been competition cyclists

• A frame builder who was licensed to repair crashed Keirin racing bicycles did a complete servicing on all the frames I own. He once spread some 120 stays to 126. After watching him, I would certainly never do it myself. For starters, I don't have a suitable table — let alone the tools. To watch him was a treat. Every move he made was like a choreographed dance, all in sequence and never a pause in motion. (Sadly, he retired from frame making due to ill health ... so I hear, and AFAIK, there's no more professional frame-making in Sendai or even in all off Northern Japan.)

• NEVER move an aluminum frame. Well, that's just MY advice. I have a Vitus 979, and I'm moving nothing on it — ever. If it gets bent, it gets junked. Someone may disagree, but I'm not going to be riding their aluminum bicycles.
many of us will never bother spreading a frame but are quite content with how the bicycle was originally made. if i wanted a 10 speed rear end then i would buy a bicycle that was built with one. my 6 speed Trek with down shifters is going to stay that way, same with my 9 speed Fuji Touring bicycle.
Likes For Duo:
Old 08-03-22, 09:43 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Deity's In The Details...

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Remember that the OP was asking about altering a valuable classic Cinelli so my suggestions were directed to his question and not how to spread a $100 beater from Goodwill. In my answer I also wanted people to know there are better ways of aligning a frame than Sheldon's method because rear alignment is connected to front alignment. If one understands how a pro does it, that information can be used as a reference on how they can do it themselves. .

As explained previously the most important alignment on a frame is the seat tube to BB threads to avoid knee injuries. This can be checked with some kind of straight edge. In Ukraine where we build frames/bicycles for Ukrainian pastors, we used a long yellow aluminum level (with bubbles)...
Do the bubbles play any part in this process, or could any true straight edge be used?

This straight edge can be placed against the side of the BB shell for checking purposes. If the BB shell is not faced properly, a BB cup can be threaded in and the straight edge placed against the cup. Down at the bottom of the seat tube the adjuster screw is turned until it just touches the seat tube. Now the level is raised so the screw is placed at the top of the seat tube to see if the distance from the tip of the screw to the seat tube is the same. If not, the frame can be clamped in a vise and yanked until it does. ...
I'm guessing the Bottom Bracket shell is clamped in the vise longways? (Edit: That is, do the jaws of the vise engage the faced ends of the bottom bracket shell?)

Thanks for posting this. I am hundreds of miles from any Framebuilder, or rather any Framebuilder with any equipment, (of which I'm aware). I have no plans to respace any of my bikes, ever, but appreciate a rational approach (rather then crude string anchored at the wrong point) for evaluating alignment of the frames of the bikes I've acquired. Currently working on a 1972ishy Acer-Mex Carabela Profesional (sic), which is not an Cinelli SC, obviously, but pretty darn close.(The only structural difference I've discovered so far is the absence of the shim Cinelli used to reinforce the seat tube. A PO used a foot long 26.8 MTB seat pillar, deeply seated, to approximate the stiffening effect of the shim, which I find very clever.)

Next on queue is a mid-70s Cooper. I have seen photographs of him on the West Coast when he traveled there to check the alignment of the bikes he shipped. He valued precise alignment and who am I to disagree? These may be "simple machines." but I'm well aware a mm one way or the other...

And why not? I ride a lot, and much of it in treacherous circumstance. I need to be able to completely trust my "simple machine."

Last edited by machinist42; 08-03-22 at 10:47 PM. Reason: clarification?
Old 08-04-22, 02:14 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
do as you like. how many people do you ride with that are going to break out the calipers? rhetorical question potentially...
Uhhh ... only one! ME! )))

String and callipers say my 979 is very slightly skwif. Maybe my technique is not very sophisticated, but this may explain why it likes to auto-shift, no matter what drive train I stick on it. Mind you, the Vitus earned the sobriquet 'the noodle". (The factory designated racers were pegged, watermarked and consequently stiffer.) But, the only other owner had a bad crash in the 80's. It ended his racing career, and he ended up with back trouble for decades. Anyway ... it's aluminum, and neither I nor anyone else will be moving anything. It looks straight and steers OK. In my experience, something a mm or two the wrong way may or may not make a discernible difference. In my case, I just live with it cuz I plod for fitness, relaxation and fun — or doing as I like.
Old 08-04-22, 10:34 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Do the bubbles play any part in this process, or could any true straight edge be used?
Not really, the level was a tool I could buy locally that could serve the purpose. It wasn't very expensive in Ukraine. Any true straight edge can be used.

I'm guessing the Bottom Bracket shell is clamped in the vise longways? (Edit: That is, do the jaws of the vise engage the faced ends of the bottom bracket shell?)
Framebuilders put some kind of protection between the vise jaws and whatever is being clamped. If you look at my picture, you will see the vise closest to the camera has wood pieces between the jaws so whatever is being clamped is not damaged with jaw pressure. It is quite common to use copper plates (made by vise companies) that has arms that can wrap around the back of the jaws to keep it in place.

That vise was stolen by the Russians when the broke into the shop to take whatever they wanted. It is most likely in Russia now. Of course compared to the horrible things that have happened in Bucha and all of Ukraine that is a pretty small deal indeed in comparison. However getting a nice vise like that was a real effort. It was a Wilton (an American brand). I bought it at a bazaar in Kyiv about 20 years ago.

Next on queue is a mid-70s Cooper. I have seen photographs of him on the West Coast when he traveled there to check the alignment of the bikes he shipped. He valued precise alignment and who am I to disagree? These may be "simple machines." but I'm well aware a mm one way or the other...
I visited Ron Cooper in Honor Park in London sometime in the 70's. I can't remember if it was when I was apprenticing at Ellis Briggs in Yorkshire or on a later trip a couple of years later. He didn't have a big table but rather used a long piece of angle iron. One side of the angle makes it possible to clamp in a vise. On one end was a bottom bracket shell holder and on the other end was a pre-adjusted screw. The frame would rotate on the BB holder and the end of the screw should just touch the top of both the seat tube and down tube. If not, the frame was bent until the screw just touched.

His method is a decent and somewhat inexpensive way for an occasional alignment. There would need to be some lathe work in making the BB holder. Or just grind the threads off of BB cups and somehow use those to position and bolt the frame to the angle iron.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-04-22, 10:40 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Seriously! Mediocre!
No one said there'd be French....
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-05-22, 06:24 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Doug Fattic Do you think a Wixey angle finder is useful for checking for things like head tube twist? Or at least indicating what direction a twist might influence "Kentucky windage"?
Your question is outside of my knowledge base. I know some amateur builders use a Wixey angle finder for setting a fixture but I have never owned one myself. My guess is that the readouts would be a little vague for alignment accuracy (at least for my liking).

I've heard of people using laser lights somehow. The top of a table saw can work great for checking the front triangle. Counter tops have been pressed into revive. One of my butcher block work benches probably has roughly enough accuracy for the not particular. I have several long steel rulers that would work with a short 6" ruler clamped to it.

I'll attach a couple of pictures of a framebuilding class student from England checking alignment with a homemade tool we use in Ukraine. It is a square piece of aluminum with a chunk of 80/20 aluminum extrusion stuck in the end to hold an adjustable screw. This kind of tool for checking rear dropouts only works if the front triangle is aligned. If if it leaning over to one side it will give you a false reading on the rear dropouts being centered

centering the rear dropouts with a straight edge while building a frame

adjustable screw detail
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-05-22, 07:00 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

I'll attach a couple of pictures of a framebuilding class student from England checking alignment with a homemade tool we use in Ukraine. It is a square piece of aluminum with a chunk of 80/20 aluminum extrusion stuck in the end to hold an adjustable screw. This kind of tool for checking rear dropouts only works if the front triangle is aligned. If if it leaning over to one side it will give you a false reading on the rear dropouts being centered

adjustable screw detail
Thanks for the response. I've played with a Wixey a bit and so far its helped to find problems. I have identified a couple frames with it that need tweeking but so far I've resisted taking a 2x4 to them.

I'm assuming that the your photo shows a "flip-flop" tool where you check off both sides of the seat and head tube. Or am I missing something?
Old 08-05-22, 07:15 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I'm assuming that the your photo shows a "flip-flop" tool where you check off both sides of the seat and head tube. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are right about using a straight edge as a "flip-flop" tool. The adjuster screw is set on one side to just touch the inside of the dropout and then switched to the other side to see if it just touches the other dropout. It is fairly easy to place the straight edge against a lug on one side and not the other so some care has to be done to make sure the position of the SE is identically placed on both sides.
Old 08-05-22, 11:28 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Been there ... done that. Peugeot UO-8, 120 to 123 to take an ultra-6 Shimano freewheel -- works like a champ.

1959 Capo, 120 to 126 to take a standard-6 Regina America freewheel -- also works just fine.
When I had it repainted at CyclArt, Jim double-checked my rear triangle and dropout alignment.

Schwinn mountain bike -- I need only about 1 additional mm of OLD to accommodate my current 8-speed cassette, so the frame gets slightly splayed whenever I insert the wheel, and springs back whenever I remove it. No biggie. The bike was spec'd 3x6, but I bought it used with a 3x7 freewheel and subsequently substituted my current 8-speed cassette rear wheel.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069