Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Mixte (Piaggio years?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 01:13 AM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Bianchi Mixte (Piaggio years?)

Vintage bianchi piaggio - $80

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/concord-vintage-bianchi-piaggio/7255549578.html
$80 bucks is pretty cheap in my opinion (especially in the Bay Area), but I've spent about an hour trying to track down any info I can on this bike, and I'm coming up short. The seller has it listed as a Piaggio, but based on my research, there was never a Piaggio model, just bikes produced when Piaggio owned Bianchi. Anyone have any ideas on whether or not it's worth it to take a ride out to see it?

Background: My wife is 5'10" and doesn't like standard triangle frames but wants something light, because we live three blocks up a (rideable) hill. I realize that sentence makes my search a pain in the ass, since things like mixtes and step throughs are usually heavier than standard frames, and vintage mixtes for tall folks are few and far between. She's currently riding a Public C7 with full fenders, etc. It's just too damn heavy. So I'm looking at other options. Might end up going new, but could also do a project bike.

Note: Apologies, URL is listed as a quote because this is my first post. Longtime lurker who decided to actually join in the fun
Old 01-31-21, 04:34 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
First, the biggest frame you are likely to find on a mixte is 21"/53cm, although Fuji had some listed as 22.5". For folks of 5'10" anything less than 21.5" might be a stretch ( no pun intended). Has she been on a 19/21" mixte? How does it fit?

The bike you are considering is only 19".

Last edited by kross57; 01-31-21 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 06:23 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
My grandson and I were out yard sailing one day and for $15.00 CND I bought a red Bianchi identical to the one the OP has.

A nice enough bicycle, to say the least, but nothing exotic or particularly special. I also came across the man's diamond style but never did ride it, I can make no comment regarding ride quality.

Pull the handlebar and have a look at the stamped information presented on the steering stem. Chances are good that you will see a two digit number, indicating year of stem manufacture, which will most likely be the same year the bike was made. Or, share the bike's serial number here - one of our Bike Forum members will help to decode (???) the serial number, nailing the actual date of the bike's manufacture.

Piaggio is the name of the company that imported Bianchi bicycles into the USA, I believe, hence the sticker with the name Paiggio.
Old 01-31-21, 07:54 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
If I can put in a plug for Bikex.org Where I volunteer, we have tons of rehabbed bikes for sale including this Miyata Mixte I just finished which has 18 speeds 14-28 cogs and 28-38-48 rings , which can climb the side of a building . I don't have a price yet but you couldn't find a nicer bike( in my humble opinion). We ARE I Palo Alto so should be in your neighborhood
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 01-31-21, 09:41 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Just redid a 81 miyata 210 mixte for my niece and it is a 22” frame, so they are out there.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 01-31-21, 11:11 AM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Originally Posted by kross57
For folks of 5'10" anything less than 21.5" might be a stretch ( no pun intended).
Yeah, I figured that might be a problem. I was thrown off by the fact that the guy had it tagged "Large" in the CL post. Thanks for adding the photo for me!

Originally Posted by capnjonny
If I can put in a plug for Bikex.org Where I volunteer, we have tons of rehabbed bikes for sale including this Miyata Mixte I just finished which has 18 speeds 14-28 cogs and 28-38-48 rings, which can climb the side of a building.
I'll have to talk to her about this one, as it looks pretty sweet. How big is it? Also, I love the purple Bridgestone MTB townie you guys have listed. It's along the same lines as the next project bike I'm currently building in my head.
Likes For munkymack:
Old 02-01-21, 08:57 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Surprisingly, I don't think I measured the frame. In the pictures the seat post and bars are adjusted to max height and my 6'5 ishness managed to ride it o/k . I would think she could get comfortable .

I loved the Bridgestone Mb6 . I have another set of those Fat Frank tires to use on another frame when the right one comes around. Specialized and Trek are my favorites among mass producers and older rigid frame models are perfect utility bikes. It makes doing a make over much easier if the paint is good.
Old 02-01-21, 09:32 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
If I can put in a plug for Bikex.org Where I volunteer, we have tons of rehabbed bikes for sale including this Miyata Mixte I just finished which has 18 speeds 14-28 cogs and 28-38-48 rings , which can climb the side of a building . I don't have a price yet but you couldn't find a nicer bike( in my humble opinion). We ARE I Palo Alto so should be in your neighborhood
Looks like that was originally a 210 M.
Likes For kross57:
Old 02-08-21, 05:22 PM
munkymack

this Miyata Mixte I just finished which has 18 speeds 14-28 cogs and 28-38-48 rings, which can climb the side of a building. I don't have a price yet but you couldn't find a nicer bike (in my humble opinion). We ARE I Palo Alto so should be in your neighborhood
I've been watching the bikex.org shop to see when this one pops up, but I haven't seen it yet...any idea if it's already sold?
Old 02-08-21, 11:55 PM
capnjonny 

Bike is still there or was last weekend

If you have questions contact us at info@bikex.org, or call us at (650) 691-5989.
Old 02-09-21, 12:05 PM
munkymack

Will do. By the way, just noticed all the bikes you have in your quiver...you're even bigger than I am! Finding stuff that is 62cm is enough of a pain, I can't imagine sourcing 64 or 66cm
Old 02-09-21, 12:26 PM
cyclocross808

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
munkymack You're just the kind of rider bikex.org is looking for. It has a lot of tall vintage rides - those are the slowest to move. I think the 210 M is 22", kinda tall. Also a nice Miyata 615 GT coming soon too. During the pandemic, volunteer labor is very constrained, so its rigorous QA is a little slower, but the bikes are coming to shop.bikex.org soon.