Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Newbie Thoughts on Early Brifter Bikes!

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 07:27 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts

I’m brand new to Bike Forums and I think I voted incorrectly to the Poll on this Subforum. I think a Subforum devoted to the early brifter bikes is a great idea.

I don’t have any particular thoughts about whether or not Ergopower levers are properly called brifters.

I have an 8 speed Sachs Ergopower gruppo and now that I have a set of Campagnolo’s current cables & housing the shifters work great. Both shifters had a tendency to freeze & lockup and this stopped with the new cables.
Likes For Jacob_R_59:
Old 06-07-21, 07:56 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob_R_59
Sachs Ergopower
That's some pretty rare gear around my way, only come across it once.

And it was on a rather interesting bike - dude was rocking a weird Suntour RD with it that didn't use a housing loop, the bare cable just came straight from the cable guide, onto a pulley/cam bit on the RD (kinda like SRAM), and he reckoned the indexing was spot on. Couldn't find that RD on Disraeli Gears, either.

Anyone know anything about the cable pull on these? I seem to recall it was different to the Campy ones.
Old 06-07-21, 11:18 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Careful What You Ask For...

Originally Posted by Kimmo
That's some pretty rare gear around my way, only come across it once.

And it was on a rather interesting bike - dude was rocking a weird Suntour RD with it that didn't use a housing loop, the bare cable just came straight from the cable guide, onto a pulley/cam bit on the RD (kinda like SRAM), and he reckoned the indexing was spot on. Couldn't find that RD on Disraeli Gears, either.

Anyone know anything about the cable pull on these? I seem to recall it was different to the Campy ones.
I own a set of early Sachs New Success Brifters, I've read all sorts of conflicting reports about compatibility. I haven't extensively experimented because Lazy.

This SunTour Superbe Tech L RD on Disraeli?

(Photo from Velobase.)

Last edited by machinist42; 06-07-21 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-08-21, 04:03 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by machinist42
Hey, you found it! Trippy bit of kit.
Old 06-09-21, 10:21 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Maybe @Dfrost will stop by. He has a couple bikes running Sachs brifters. Yes, cable pull is different than Campy.
Old 06-10-21, 12:39 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Maybe @Dfrost will stop by. He has a couple bikes running Sachs brifters. Yes, cable pull is different than Campy.
Yes, as @tricky notes, both of my bikes use Sachs New Success Ergo brifters. (And I call them brifters all the time. No reason not to!) The RD are both Sachs NS medium cage that appear to be identical.

I mention that because the setup on the black Miyata 912 shifts fabulously with Shimano 8-speed spacing (4.8mm), while the red Marinoni is equally nice with Campy spacing (5.0mm). No, that is NOT an insignificant difference - they don’t play nice if I switch wheels between bikes without correcting cog spacing. This reinforces information that Sachs changed pawl increments sometime in the late 90’s. FWIW, both use loose cogs on either Ultegra or 600 tri-color hubs, primarily Shimano plus a few Miche or SRAM cogs. The cassettes are always one of my “custom” arrangements. I’ve tried using a Shimano RD as an experiment (‘cuz I’m a former test engineer!) but that didn’t work all that well. Those Sachs NS RD’s last forever, and I’ve got spares.

For the OP, I (obviously!) really like Sachs NS with Ergo brifters, especially as an older rider on tall bikes in a hilly urban riding environment - long reach to DT levers when your back is old, bars are high, and shifts are frequent. The brifters are easily rebuilt using available (often inexpensive) Campy parts. But I’ve only needed to do so twice in more than 25 years and over 50,000 miles of use. They are much easier to setup and maintain indexing precision than similar Campy, having also spent plenty of years/miles keeping my wife’s former Campy Chorus 8-speed Ergo working acceptaby. They share the Campy Ergo advantages of easy triple conversions, FD trimming, and complete compatibility with just about any FD. I slightly prefer the front shifts with Campy “Racing T” over several later Suntour FD’s,

———————————————-

And on a different note, I see ABSOLUTELY no value in having discussions about brifter shifting over certain number of gears on a forum other than C&V. I’d much prefer that this and similar information was available to the significant audience over there. Shifting variations are NOT a reason to differentiate.

Last edited by Dfrost; 06-10-21 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 06-10-21, 06:26 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Dfrost
They are much easier to setup and maintain indexing precision than similar Campy, having also spent plenty of years/miles keeping my wife’s former Campy Chorus 8-speed Ergo working acceptaby.
That'd seem to suggest a longer cable pull than Campy...
Old 06-10-21, 08:10 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

And on a different note, I see ABSOLUTELY no value in having discussions about brifter shifting over certain number of gears on a forum other than C&V. I’d much prefer that this and similar information was available to the significant audience over there. Shifting variations are NOT a reason to differentiate.
I hardly ever poke my nose into C&V, but I'm interested in bikes you can shift while standing...
Old 06-15-21, 02:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
I put Sachs NS Ergos and rear derailleur on my 1994 Cannondale R500, way back in about 1995. It came with RX100 kit with DT shifters. I ran it with a Campy 8-speed cassette, I think.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-18-21, 06:07 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I hardly ever poke my nose into C&V, but I'm interested in bikes you can shift while standing...
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

For "shifting while standing" the "why you shouldn't do that" case is this:

You try for a way-too-late desperation bail-out shift to your lowest gear, standing on the pedals, heaving on the bars, at full honk, and in time with your stroke. And then your rear derailleur blows into three pieces, and then your rack your 'nads on the top tube, and then you crash.

(This is why I stopped using GripShift on mountain bikes, despite my intense dislike for under-the-bar push-with-your-thumb MTB shifters. And thumb throttles on ATVs.)

--Shannon
Old 06-19-21, 04:42 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

For "shifting while standing" the "why you shouldn't do that" case is this:

You try for a way-too-late desperation bail-out shift to your lowest gear, standing on the pedals, heaving on the bars, at full honk, and in time with your stroke. And then your rear derailleur blows into three pieces, and then your rack your 'nads on the top tube, and then you crash.

(This is why I stopped using GripShift on mountain bikes, despite my intense dislike for under-the-bar push-with-your-thumb MTB shifters. And thumb throttles on ATVs.)

--Shannon
Yeah nah, more like a truck goes past and I'm able to get a good pull from the draft that just wouldn't have been an option with DT shifters.

BTW, sounds like you should invest in a higher class of derailer.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-19-21, 06:05 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I'm loving the Sachs-Huret New Success gruppo on my newly acquired 1970s Liberia. This is my first experience with lever shifters, as everything else I own or have owned has been down tube, bar end, or thumb shifters.

Received the bike on Thursday of this week, and went on a 30 mile shakedown ride yesterday. Everything was buttery smooth. I won't be switching everything to this type of setup, but it is definitely very nice!

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-19-21, 12:56 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob_R_59
I have an 8 speed Sachs Ergopower gruppo and now that I have a set of Campagnolo’s current cables & housing the shifters work great. Both shifters had a tendency to freeze & lockup and this stopped with the new cables.
Originally Posted by machinist42
I own a set of early Sachs New Success Brifters, I've read all sorts of conflicting reports about compatibility. I haven't extensively experimented because Lazy.
Originally Posted by tricky
Yes, as @tricky notes, both of my bikes use Sachs New Success Ergo brifters. (And I call them brifters all the time. No reason not to!) The RD are both Sachs NS medium cage that appear to be identical.

I mention that because the setup on the black Miyata 912 shifts fabulously with Shimano 8-speed spacing (4.8mm), while the red Marinoni is equally nice with Campy spacing (5.0mm). No, that is NOT an insignificant difference - they don’t play nice if I switch wheels between bikes without correcting cog spacing. This reinforces information that Sachs changed pawl increments sometime in the late 90’s. FWIW, both use loose cogs on either Ultegra or 600 tri-color hubs, primarily Shimano plus a few Miche or SRAM cogs. The cassettes are always one of my “custom” arrangements. I’ve tried using a Shimano RD as an experiment (‘cuz I’m a former test engineer!) but that didn’t work all that well. Those Sachs NS RD’s last forever, and I’ve got spares.

For the OP, I (obviously!) really like Sachs NS with Ergo brifters, especially as an older rider on tall bikes in a hilly urban riding environment - long reach to DT levers when your back is old, bars are high, and shifts are frequent. The brifters are easily rebuilt using available (often inexpensive) Campy parts. But I’ve only needed to do so twice in more than 25 years and over 50,000 miles of use. They are much easier to setup and maintain indexing precision than similar Campy, having also spent plenty of years/miles keeping my wife’s former Campy Chorus 8-speed Ergo working acceptaby. They share the Campy Ergo advantages of easy triple conversions, FD trimming, and complete compatibility with just about any FD. I slightly prefer the front shifts with Campy “Racing T” over several later Suntour FD’s,
Originally Posted by genejockey
I put Sachs NS Ergos and rear derailleur on my 1994 Cannondale R500, way back in about 1995. It came with RX100 kit with DT shifters. I ran it with a Campy 8-speed cassette, I think.
Great article here re: Sachs New Success, for those interested that haven't read it. Bikemig posted it over on my Liberia thread.

https://lecycleur.com/parts/history-...s-new-success/
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-20-21, 02:16 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Yeah nah, more like a truck goes past and I'm able to get a good pull from the draft that just wouldn't have been an option with DT shifters.

BTW, sounds like you should invest in a higher class of derailer.
Of course there are many situations in which shifting while standing is a small win over not doing so. I do not deny this. Indeed, it was one of the many things I liked about the setup I had on the bike in question. Until that one moment, on that one ride, on that one day, when I did what I had gotten used to doing over the many times that I had gotten away with it... and suddenly didn't.

As to "higher class of derailleur"... It was a Deore XT, so, no, that wasn't the problem.

This was the problem:
Shifting chain-and-derailleur drivetrains under high pedalling force is always and everywhere bad for them. I'd bet a sixer of your favorite malted beverage that, if one were to conduct a poll here on BF as to "How did you break your chain", "I tried to downshift on a steep section while pedalling hard" would be the #1 answer, and by a big margin. And, if you break your drivetrain in this, the most likely way for you to do so, it's going to really, really suck.

There are many good reasons to like, and even to prefer, integrated brake/shift levers. "They allow me to shift while standing" is not a particularly good reason, because you pretty much shouldn't be doing that.

--Shannon
Old 06-20-21, 09:38 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by ShannonM
There are many good reasons to like, and even to prefer, integrated brake/shift levers. "They allow me to shift while standing" is not a particularly good reason, because you pretty much shouldn't be doing that.
I've never even come close to having a problem shifting to larger cogs while standing, but I've always used close ratio cassettes. I'd also assert there's nothing wrong with dropping to smaller cogs while giving it the beans no matter what your cassette.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-09-21, 11:20 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Those Sachs NS RD’s last forever, and I’ve got spares.

For the OP, I (obviously!) really like Sachs NS with Ergo brifters, especially as an older rider on tall bikes in a hilly urban riding environment - long reach to DT levers when your back is old, bars are high, and shifts are frequent. They share the Campy Ergo advantages of easy triple conversions, FD trimming, and complete compatibility with just about any FD. I slightly prefer the front shifts with Campy “Racing T” over several later.
#1. I've been looking for a mid or long cage sachs NS at the local coops for years AND you have SPARES.? (I'm too old for big boy gears)

#2. Old... Check. Tall Bikes... Check. Hilly urban light to light sprinting ... Check. Campy or Sachs ergo levers with random FD's and Triples... Check.
Old 07-09-21, 11:42 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by escii_35
#1. I've been looking for a mid or long cage sachs NS at the local coops for years AND you have SPARES.? (I'm too old for big boy gears)
I have one additional medium cage, and it’s about to get some use on a potential new-to-me bike. The other spares are short cage versions. I figure that the parallelogram bodies are the most likely to wear (but they haven’t yet), after the pulleys. Even those seem to last forever. I have had to switch in some original floating upper pulleys after previous owners *****ed that job.

Those floating pulleys are a significant difference from similar era Campy RD’s, and seem to be the reason that the Sachs are so easy to adjust, and keep in adjustment, based on a long-term “relationship” with Campy 8-speed Chorus on my wife’s former custom Erickson.

Last edited by Dfrost; 07-09-21 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Not sure why BF didn’t like the word above. It was not an obscenity
Old 07-09-21, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've never even come close to having a problem shifting to larger cogs while standing, but I've always used close ratio cassettes. I'd also assert there's nothing wrong with dropping to smaller cogs while giving it the beans no matter what your cassette.

On a hill climb, I'm way more likely to be dropping from the big to the little chain ring as I cruise on the big chain ring at all other times, but if I shift to a bigger cog going uphill, it makes a bit of noise, but I've never busted a chain or broke a derailleur while shifting in about 45 years of riding with them, and I'm the king of bad habits. I shift while standing a lot.
Old 08-18-21, 06:12 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
I’m running Sachs ergos and new success in the rear, and it shifts well over a 7 speed shimano freewheel. More fun than reaching between my legs on a 10% hill to shift.

Old 08-18-21, 07:04 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
It appears that the Sachs Ergo/Brifters are the equivalent of the first gen of the Campagnolo.
See Rebuilding Ergo Levers — Branford Bike