Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

What is wrong with drivers like this?

Old 06-19-21, 06:10 PM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is wrong with drivers like this?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-road-n1271438
Old 06-19-21, 06:18 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,492 Posts
killers on the road/

other than bullet wounds only his psychiatrist knows for sure.hoping the victims all recover & have injury attorney's.
Old 06-19-21, 06:23 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
well at least I doubt he will do it again. first time I saw a driver get really punished for hitting someone. instant karma I guess.
Old 06-19-21, 06:32 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
People like this could be crazy, of course--think they're playing PacMan. Or they could be evil--I'm going to get those lycra-encased vermin.

But more likely, they are driving too fast, half stunned by their loud music, looking at their cell phones, and not paying attention. At 35 mph, that car would travel 51 feet in one second. That's enough to mow down 10 cyclists even without taking another second to hear the first collision, look around and see what it was, and either (1) stop and render aid or (2) flee.

I ride in the street--carefully chosen residential streets--but in the cell phone era, it's just not safe any more.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 06-21-21, 10:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I feel like it's best not to speculate about what's wrong with them. You'll be wrong.

And a preemptive warning that discussing politics is not allowed outside the Politics and religion forum.
Old 06-21-21, 11:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Having seen an oncoming car cross the road in an attempt to scare me into the ditch/ tackle me off the road. And nearly losing it on the soft shoulder, coming within inches of ending up in the ditch himself, I’m not surprised as such.
And of course there was the horsebox guy, so upset about cyclists holding traffic back that he did make contact with several of us with the fenders of his trailer.
Some people simply get irrationally angry over just about anything. Spend 20 minutes watching Youtube videos on road rage, see how many you can figure out.
Every Now and then, someone will propose that breathalyzers - alcolocks - should be made mandatory on new cars. Me, I’d rather have aggro-locks.
Old 06-21-21, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Some people simply get irrationally angry over just about anything
sounds like my marriage
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-21-21, 02:14 PM
Elbeinlaw

Originally Posted by unterhausen
discussing politics is not allowed outside the Politics and religion forum.
Who was talking politics or religion, U?
Old 06-21-21, 02:14 PM
ususum

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After years of buildup, i finally laughed at a dad joke.
Old 06-21-21, 02:19 PM
ususum

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my country some people pretend as if it is some kind of a sport to speed up straight towards a biker and then swirve off at the last second. I can imagine the last drops of gray matter in this mans brain stopped lighting up years ago.
Old 06-25-21, 06:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In the US when people have issues in life, often an "outlet" that is unsafe and inappropriate is the automobile. Go out and hit 100mph and race around. Go get angry at others.

Living an entire life of victimizing yourself at the hands of things like grievance politics or grievance morality leads to you taking it out on others. Be that beating a spouse after getting drunk or mowing over some cyclists in your way on the road.

We don't have respect for certain tools and activities that require sound mind and complete attention, like driving a car.

One time driving home from work I had a lady behind me on the phone screaming and crying tears at a cellphone while bashing her steering wheel while we were stopped at a stop light. Knowing she was clearly not in a state of mind to operate a vehicle, I changed lanes and got far away.

I really wish parents wouldn't ever argue or fight in a way they "get angry then go for a drive". Teaching kids right off you can go blow steam off in an automobile.

I've no idea this guy's deal was. But these things happen.
Old 06-25-21, 07:54 AM
Elbeinlaw

Fascinating

Two things never cease to amaze me when there are conversations like this.

First amazenent: the focus always becomes the motivation, stupidity and malfeasance of the perpetrator. I would think that with all this biking knowledge, we would be better served in discuss how to avoid the inevitable incompetence, stupidity, and evil of people we run into (or who run into us). Kudos to people like Burnthesheep* for sharing strategies.

Second amazement: the number of people who say "F*** it, nothing I can do about it," or "F*** them, I have the right [etc.]" I'm not trying to start a fight, so I'll say nothing more, other than "Amazing!"

*But really ... can't we leave the poor sheep UNburned?
Old 06-25-21, 08:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Two things never cease to amaze me when there are conversations like this.

First amazenent: the focus always becomes the motivation, stupidity and malfeasance of the perpetrator. I would think that with all this biking knowledge, we would be better served in discuss how to avoid the inevitable incompetence, stupidity, and evil of people we run into (or who run into us). Kudos to people like Burnthesheep* for sharing strategies.

Second amazement: the number of people who say "F*** it, nothing I can do about it," or "F*** them, I have the right [etc.]" I'm not trying to start a fight, so I'll say nothing more, other than "Amazing!"

*But really ... can't we leave the poor sheep UNburned?
Not really sure why I originally chose that username. I wish I could change it as it doesn't really match at all with my likeness. I'm pretty sure it was in a quote somebody put up and it was kind of a "haha" for 30 seconds that turned into a username.

Oh well, too late now.
Old 06-25-21, 08:30 AM
Elbeinlaw

Too late now

There's this great Willie Nelson song:

"There's lots a things I'd change
If I could go back in time somehow
But there's nothing I can do about it now."

My anthem.
Old 09-20-21, 12:27 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I've totally given up riding in heavy traffic, except for brief detours. I only ride residential streets and MUP as I have seen some crazy stuff, and have been targeted by jerks or primadonnas. only to get myself worked up in a rage. I used to commute, but since the pandemic, it has begun to be way too hazardous.

I know this has nothing to do with group rides or races, but again, I will refuse to ride on busy surface streets or open country roads.