Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Do You Prefer - "As Found" or "Restored"..?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Do You Prefer - "As Found" or "Restored"..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 02:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I used to take 'em however I found them, but that has changed.

If I can determine that the bike is all original and pretty much unmolested, I would probably buy it. Take it apart, change out bearings, check the races, add new grease, replace consumables, good to go.

"Restored" and "refurbished" seems to be open to very broad interpretation, as has already been discussed. It seems to me that bike "mechanics," or at least those who think of themselves as mechanics, are often pragmatists: if it works, or at least appears to work, go with it. Case in point: the Liberia I recently purchased had a replacement seat post, probably a generic Kalloy, which was cut down so that the portion that indicated the size was gone. Re-inserting the seat post (with grease this time!) was leaving fine aluminum shavings at the opening, to me indicating that it was probably the wrong size. I emailed the seller and asked him about the seat post size, to which he replied:

Hmmm. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking a 1973 Liberia (French bike!) with three tubes of Reynolds 531 does NOT use a 27.2mm seat post! This is from a guy that bills himself as a "professional bike restorer/refurbisher/mechanic." If that's even the size he used, which he is unsure of! Also, the headset was loose!

I'm a horrible mechanic, so the closer to OEM, the better. I can work with that, as long as the seat post and stem are not seized up.

I tell you, sometimes it's enough to make me want to just go out and buy a new bike, except I hate the new stuff. Which is why my next bike will probably be a new "modern classic," probably custom built.
And therein lies the rub, so many butchers and hacks that are just competent enough to get away with making it work to get it out the door.

Often the buyer is not savvy enough to know the seller was responsible for a problem after the fact, so these guys get away with it for way too long thinking they are smart enough to make things work when in fact they cause more problems down the road.

I got a PX-10 from a guy that seemed like an ok guy and wrench but knew going in he had screwed things up quite a bit.

Foolishly wanting the bike and knowing it was gacked, I took it home and proceeded to remove the crappy 9/16 ths pedal that he had "barely" screwed in that were stuck badly to the point that I had to strip the pedal off the spindle to employ vise-grip and cheater pipe on one, got it off, moved on to the stuck dust caps that were stuck in the crappy threads that I cleaned up and got the puller to get the crank arms off.

NDS cup was ok but threads were a bit sketchy and the DS cup was badly seized about 2-3 turns from seated. Got it out, reworked and chased all cup, crank and pedal threads. Found and installed some French spindles in a nice pair of Campy pedals so this will still have all original crank, BB and and some nice Campy pedals to go with.

Like I said, I knew most of this going in, wanted the bike anyway as it had Mafac Competition brakes, Simplex cable clips, SP, skewers, RDO adjusters and Stronlight HS all in very good shape despite crappy paint, paying too much but being my size with Nervex Pro lugs, I had to save it.

I always try to assume the worst case scenario and weigh it against price, condition, want, parts, etc. as well as potential issues.

Whenever a seller says "oh I went through it, that, etc." I automatically ratchet up my assessment of them and reweigh the price against that, often telling them I will be going through it again anyway to make sure it is done the way I want it done and also to say I'll be looking for any problems created or existing undisclosed.

That often prompts them to divulge something adverse that I would find, lowball incoming.

Last edited by merziac; 06-30-21 at 02:58 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-30-21, 02:47 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
cudak888
What Curt said is correct...as found implies as found rotted tires and all....there are many levels of restorations from full to survivor (enough to make it safe and roadworthy, nothing more).
All of my rides are survivors, I don't have any inclination and a resto and that includes full paint/partial for rust control is fine as is a service of the bike etc.
But as they say to each their own.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 06-30-21, 03:00 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
My approach is any ad that says restored, refurbished, "I'm a mechanic", etc. is just them saying "this bike is worth my ridiculous asking price".
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 06-30-21, 03:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
My approach is any ad that says restored, refurbished, "I'm a mechanic", etc. is just them saying "this bike is worth my ridiculous asking price".
Exactly
Old 06-30-21, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
"Recently serviced?" I interpret that as "went to the bike shop, got a tune up." This ain't it.

I don't know of any bike shop that'll disassemble a 68 year old bike, spend hours cleaning oxidation off, put it back together again, and call it "recently serviced." If that were the case, we'd be out of a hobby

Note "AFTER: (in progress)."

-Kurt
It's the same with vintage watches - unless the seller can produce a receipt from a watchmaker, "recently serviced" means diddly, and you have to assume it will need a full disassembly, cleaning, inspection, replacement of worn parts, reassembly, lubrication, and regulation.

That's what I've done with every watch I've bought, and now with every bike. The advantage of bikes is that the parts are bigger and easier to find when you drop them. The disadvantage is you can't stuff dozens of bikes in a drawer.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-21, 07:28 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I guess I would side with "As Found" over restoring it myself as I don't have the tools or the experience to do a complete overhaul from end to end. That being said, in the event you can find a bike that is well priced and is RTR and assuming all is in good shape, its probably going to be cheaper than having to source out the parts to fix it up yourself. If you already have the parts, then maybe not so much.

Just found a bike listed which was a decent brand and model for it's time, looks to be in very good shape from the pictures and is priced less than what it would cost me to buy a new set of replacement wheels. Why not buy this and save myself the work? Truth be told, I don't need another bike so will let someone else enjoy this good catch and happy to see another vintage bike stay on the road.
Old 06-30-21, 07:35 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Why is this in the sales thread??

Because I goofed and asked, in the first sentence of the listing to have this thread moved.
Old 06-30-21, 07:42 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

There is restored and then what I do - street restored. A perfect restoration would be pretty darn difficult and expensive to achieve. A street restored bike is not 100% original but does sport as many period and model correct components as I can get my hands on. The grey Torpado, in my opinion, is street restored, however; it is now in the upgrading stage. Pictures soon.
Old 06-30-21, 07:48 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Because I goofed and asked, in the first sentence of the listing to have this thread moved.
I saw that Randy. Just prompting the mods.
Old 06-30-21, 09:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
When I mention in a sales listing the bike is refurbished (aka, fully overhauled) and display pics of the bare frame and new consumables, this is not "just" an indication of price, but also a reflection of the effort, cost and expertise I invested in the project. So, my "approach" is to justify and explain my "ridiculous asking price."

Originally Posted by merziac
Exactly
Old 06-30-21, 10:02 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
When I mention in a sales listing the bike is refurbished (aka, fully overhauled) and display pics of the bare frame and new consumables, this is not "just" an indication of price, but also a reflection of the effort, cost and expertise I invested in the project. So, my "approach" is to justify and explain my "ridiculous asking price."
And that's the way it should be done. You're making an effort to show/prove what you did. It's far from common though. I'm talking about the ads with one blurry pic and few details.
Old 07-01-21, 05:50 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I prefer the 'As Found' sort of bike myself. I'd rather deal with any issues myself and since I prefer bikes to be all original, I strongly prefer to keep them that way.
Most bikes I've bought that were 'restored' ended up being parts bikes.
Likes For barnfind:
Old 07-01-21, 08:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Just want to point this out, as it seems to be getting lost: Randy's original question wasn't about sales terminology, but the general condition of bikes one prefers to own or acquire.

Restored, as-found, refurbished, restomodded, and rebuilt have vastly different connotations depending on whether they're being used by an owner or a seller.

-Kurt

Old 07-01-21, 08:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
In the past, I've preferred to buy framesets. Part of that is because I'm a big guy and it makes shipping cheaper. A lot of it, is because I'm sort of more on the restomod side of things and like putting modern parts on classic frames (I also don't have to worry about stuck posts, stems, or BBs if they're not included). If I were to come across a "restored" bike that was exactly as I wanted it (especially this time around as I'm recovering from a lower back injury due to getting hit by a car, so bending and twisting are painful), I'd be willing to take it but a lot of people don't share my sense of aesthetics. I definitely don't want to spend extra on a bike that someone else restored to their sensibilities only to have to pull all the parts off of it to set it up to my preferences.
Old 07-01-21, 08:11 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by randyjawa
There is restored and then what I do - street restored. A perfect restoration would be pretty darn difficult and expensive to achieve. A street restored bike is not 100% original but does sport as many period and model correct components as I can get my hands on. The grey Torpado, in my opinion, is street restored, however; it is now in the upgrading stage. Pictures soon.
Sorry to disagree with you Randy, but I'd say that once a bike is resprayed with a non-factory color, I'd call it restomodded rather than restored. It's one of the few descriptive terms that carries over from the classic car world really well.

I think this is yet another reason the terminologies used within this field could be improved. Our current ones are pretty limited and vague. Not that I care to see someone go full elitist and come up with some concourse grading system, but there's got to be a few more terms that can be put to use.

-Kurt

Old 07-01-21, 08:48 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
If you look at the car world, there are pretty much only 3 classes, preservation, restoration and modification. Where one becomes another is mostly grey. Paint seems to be an on/off switch, probably because it has the biggest impact on appearance. I tend to disagree, but ymmv.
Old 07-01-21, 09:30 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
As is, because I want to be in charge of the restoration. With bikes, if it’s not a good 5 footer, it’s getting restored. Patina is a very vague, subjective, and overused term. I tend to like it, when associated with old pickup trucks, and vintage sports cars. On everything else it seems to mean, looks like crap.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 07-01-21 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-01-21, 10:25 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
[QUOTE

1971 Raleigh Competition

From 10 feet away it's not visible.... if you squint your eyes! hahaha The ride and handling make up for the rust.

[/QUOTE]

My first “good” bike was one of those two tone lilac/lavender Competitions. Too big for me, but I road the hell out of it. Would like to find another to rebuild.
BTW, prefer “as found” so I can build with components I prefer.
Cheers,
Van
Old 07-01-21, 01:14 PM
randyjawa 

Sorry to disagree with you Randy, but I'd say that once a bike is resprayed with a non-factory color, I'd call it restomodded rather than restored. It's one of the few descriptive terms that carries over from the classic car world really well.

I think this is yet another reason the terminologies used within this field could be improved. Our current ones are pretty limited and vague. Not that I care to see someone go full elitist and come up with some concourse grading system, but there's got to be a few more terms that can be put to use.

-Kurt
Hey, Kurt, I could not agree more. I use the term street restored in the same fashion as you use the term restomodded. Neither really means much of anything, other than not restored. As for terminologies, our group cannot even agree on what is and what is not vintage or classic, for that matter. But does it really make any difference?

Anyway, no need to be sorry for disagreeing. I totally accept the opinion of others and in this case I really see no difference in our opinions. I am looking forward to street restoring another bike, one of these days and, for what it is worth, the repainted Torpado is now being upgraded or modified, with period correct (mostly except for the seat post) but not model correct components making it a restomodded steed indeed.

The bike just got a Brooks B17 honey saddle and alloy indexed seat post, and will soon be getting Campy Gran Sport quick release hubs laced to alloy rims and a new transmission, either Velox or Gran Tourismo. Looking forward to those upgrades which will make the bike more comfortable and easier for this old fart to ride.
Old 07-01-21, 02:06 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have a couple of bikes that are original and were hardly ridden so they are very nice "as found". Most of my bikes are riders that are clean and in fine mechanical condition but have seen miles. One bike I restored ,a 1972 ItallVega Grand Rally that was left for dead , is my "mucho patina" bike and it is cool. I recently bought a nice 1975 Colnago Super that is in rider condition( worn paint) ....for now. I am waiting for my turn at Franklin Frame to have it repainted in the original color . I dunno , I just want that one nice. It is up to the individual and how they feel about a particular bike. Some I would not repaint , some I would.
Old 07-01-21, 03:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by tkamd73
As is, because I want to be in charge of the restoration. With bikes, if it’s not a good 5 footer, it’s getting restored. Patina is a very vague, subjective, and overused term. I tend to like it, when associated with old pickup trucks, and vintage sports cars. On everything else it seems to mean, looks like crap.
Tim
Funny, I've always thought the exact opposite

The whole overdone rat rod patina thing looks terrible on old automobiles, honestly - especially crap on an old truck (excluding the bed - that can be terrible), doubly so if it's gloss cleared. I can appreciate a single-stage survivor with burnt paint though.

As for frames, I tend to believe a bike can carry its battle scars with the same dignity of a survivor automobile. Just depends how visually appealing the discoloration and roughness is.

'61 Paramount. Cleaned up, but most definitely not restored. Not even close.

-Kurt

Old 07-01-21, 03:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
"Recently serviced?" I interpret that as "went to the bike shop, got a tune up." This ain't it.

I don't know of any bike shop that'll disassemble a 68 year old bike, spend hours cleaning oxidation off, put it back together again, and call it "recently serviced." If that were the case, we'd be out of a hobby

Note "AFTER: (in progress)."

-Kurt
Serviced to me is tear it down and repack all.
To the CL flippers, serviced is knock off the dirt and maybe WD-40 on the chain.
Just depends on your perspective. the bike appears like it was gone through, cleaned, polished, bearings repacked.
My personal pet concern is folk call bikes without pedals a bike, "near a complete bike", not yet a bike.
I should not project those prejudices, just ticks me off when people offer a vintage bike for sale and keep the pedals off.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-01-21, 04:03 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
eBay and other Descriptions

eBay descriptions don't apply here. Second only to the land of Craigslist and OfferUp hyperbole and outright dishonesty.

Mistake #2 is taking any seller at their word.

-Kurt

To be honest, it was a groggy late night eBay Best Offer Error....

These lilac Raleigh Competitions were showing up in online discussions a few years back. The color caught my eye, I'd never seen one before so I did an eBay search in the middle of the night. In my foggy eyed stupor I looked over the extensive photos figuring I'd only have to get rid of the pedals, saddle, suicide levers and maybe have to replace the cables etc.

"Safety Levers" aka Turkey Levers and Dork Disk being placed in temporary storage.

The bike had been on eBay for a long time so I decided to make the seller a lowball $200 offer.

BFE - Big Finger Error!

My best offer turned out to be $300 and the seller jumped at it so my mistake...

I've gone over every bike I've ever bought, even those from friends whose work I trust.

I had to take care of almost 20 problems before the bike was safely rideable.

When I got back to the seller with marked up photos, they said that the work was done by a "new kid in the shop". Anyway I got a decent refund and fixed the problems myself. The bike rides and handles great so I'm happy.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-03-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-01-21, 07:44 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
It depends on what it is and what I want it for.

I'm picky about how I want my stuff and "as stock" isn't really something that excites me.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-01-21, 07:55 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I like the survivor aspect of old bikes and subscribe to "it is only original once" theory.. But I have a heaping pile of Gazelle that needs paint if I don't decide to just part it out. If I do paint, I'm not ruling out brushing it on like you did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.